Amsterdam OV Cabins

Orangeguy

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at G & H Category OV Cabins on the Amsterdam for the December 8, 2014 Panama Canal Sailing. There will be two people in the cabin and I'm looking for recommendations on the best option. I've checked out Joanie's website and it doesn't have too many pictures of the G & H category rooms.

I've specifically been looking at three areas of cabins: H Cat Midship on Lower Promenade (Mainly 3369 because HAL's deck plans claim it doesn't have an obstructed view), H 7055 & 7056 on Navigation Deck, and the G Category staterooms on the Main Deck.

I am trying to get an idea of the cabin size for each of these rooms. I know 7055 & 7056 are on the smaller side (but have quick exterior access), but what about those other options? Also, which of these options would have the most natural light?

May be similar to what we found in an OV on the Rotterdam on Deck Four/Three ? - (one below the promenade deck) for 50 days - plenty of light, storage and room in the cabin. Missed having a balcony on this trip, and not being closer to the activity area decks - more dependent upon the elevators to go up stairs, but the lower price let us enjoy the longer cruise and more activities while ashore.

Think about how much time you spend inside your cabin - sleeping, lounging, reading, napping, using the interior bathroom, and getting ready for various activities when you make a cabin choice. We found ourselves using the public rooms more on this trip because we had the OV cabin than in the past, and that was not a bad thing actually. Also depends upon how many sea days you will have, where you may spend more time in your cabin or not.

Big fan of 7056 (and 7055) on the Amsterdam. Love the easy access to the "secret" deck just five steps from your cabin, the one flight of stairs up to the aft Lido, and yes, the natural light from the larger-than-regular oceanview window (atleast it appears that way to me) that is to the side of the bed, not above the bed, so it is easy to access to look out over the wake. I've sailed in 7056 on HAL's 14 day AK cruise in 2010, and will be sailing in the same cabin again on the 14 day AK itinerary come May 18th - that is how much I love that cabin. Yes, it is a bit oddly configured, but we made it work for us and found there was no issue w/storage for the two of us for 14 days. Of course, we also took advantage of the Unlimited Laundry package and therefore, only packed a week's worth of clothing - which, for Alaska, is quite the challenge! Good luck with your decision and hope you find a cabin that meets your needs.

Based on the deckplans, the G-category cabins on Main Deck stern appear to be the same size as the outside cabins along the side of the ship. If so, those cabins are larger than the outside cabins on Lower Promenade Deck (that 3369 cabin you referenced).

Big fan of 7056 (and 7055) on the Amsterdam. Love the easy access to the "secret" deck just five steps from your cabin, the one flight of stairs up to the aft Lido, and yes, the natural light from the larger-than-regular oceanview window (atleast it appears that way to me) that is to the side of the bed, not above the bed, so it is easy to access to look out over the wake. I've sailed in 7056 on HAL's 14 day AK cruise in 2010, and will be sailing in the same cabin again on the 14 day AK itinerary come May 18th - that is how much I love that cabin. Yes, it is a bit oddly configured, but we made it work for us and found there was no issue w/storage for the two of us for 14 days. Of course, we also took advantage of the Unlimited Laundry package and therefore, only packed a week's worth of clothing - which, for Alaska, is quite the challenge! Good luck with your decision and hope you find a cabin that meets your needs.

Thanks for the info. I snagged it for next year based on your review. I see that there was someone else that thought it was way too small -- but the natural light and access to the outside deck are priceless. We had a similar room on the Celebrity Mercury (although the room was huge). We loved that we were able to use our secret deck --our own private balcony and only paid for an oceanview. Our friends would come back and say, we knew we would find you back here -- we were out there always. The noise from the thrusters was a get up good morning type of thing, but it was worth it. One of our favorite rooms of all times.

Archived