Dress Categories. RCI makes another mess!!!

I always ask the Maitre' D or Restaurant Manager why he allows men without jackets on Formal Night. So, yes I guess I do care. Maybe some day he will actually ask someone to leave. I still have hope!

I applaud you. If enough people complain, something will be done about enforecement.

I have an interesting and very related story to share regarding this, but it must wait. I will be adding this story it to the end of the review for my last cruise (still being written) and I do not want to skip ahead of myself. The only thing I will state at this time is that sometimes complaints are heard by RCI and subsequently acted upon.

Actually less worried about world peace since there is no one iota I can do about that!

Nothing you can do about the dress code either. Talking about it here isn't going to change what is. And that is that the cruise line could enforce the dress code but has decided not to.

Like I said it's the "I'll do what I want attitude" that bothers me. Not just dress codes. Chair Hogs, Smokers, Parents watching their kids trample plants in WJ on Freedom, people piling their plates in buffet and then leaving half of it, passengers not tipping, passengers treating workers badly, etc, etc, etc. I could probably go on and this is just on a cruise ship. Same stuff happens on land. I go to a nice restaurant and a bunch of loud young people in shorts and tank tops show up. Didn't say it was at the top of my worry list, but I didn't think we should discuss world peace on Cruise Critic. As I said, as soon as posters read the first post on this thread, their immediate response was that they did not care what RCL suggested, they would just do as they pleased.

Life is way too short for me to worry about things other people do. I know that I am not perfect and I try to change things about me not others, I know I cannot change people, places or things. I try not to have other people live in my head rent free, that used to make me a bitter person. Life is much easier since I learned this.

God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change,

The Courage to change the things I can,

And the Wisdom to know the difference!

Nothing you can do about the dress code either. Talking about it here isn't going to change what is. And that is that the cruise line could enforce the dress code but has decided not to.

You are incorrect - Giorgi-one is not only talking about it here - they actually did something about it and went to the maitre de and said something. When enough people start making the same complaint to RCI and its agents, things will change. Writing their post may also motivate others to say something to RCI about the lack of enforecement. Then when enough people start saying something about the lack of enforecment, they will listen and they will act upon it.

You are incorrect - Giorgi-one is not only talking about it here - they actually did something about it and went to the maitre de and said something. When enough people start making the same complaint to RCI and its agents, things will change. Writing their post may also motivate others to say something to RCI about the lack of enforecement. Then when enough people start saying something about the lack of enforecment, they will listen and they will act upon it.

Going up to the maitre de to complain, I hadn't though of that. I just may do that next time because one of my pet peeves is the sexism inherent in the dress code. Women can wear dresses of any length but men cannot! I've seen lots and lots of women on formal night in short and very short dresses. Hey, I have good gams too! (Just a bit hairier than the female versions!)

So next cruise when I see a young lady in a dress barely covering her buttock on formal night I'm going straight up to the maitre de to have some action taken - moving her to my table.:D

Going up to the maitre de to complain, I hadn't though of that. I just may do that next time because one of my pet peeves is the sexism inherent in the dress code. Women can wear dresses of any length but men cannot! I've seen lots and lots of women on formal night in short and very short dresses. Hey, I have good gams too! (Just a bit hairier than the female versions!)

So next cruise when I see a young lady in a dress barely covering her buttock on formal night I'm going straight up to the maitre de to have some action taken - moving her to my table.:D

Hahaha! Like

Life is way too short for me to worry about things other people do. I know that I am not perfect and I try to change things about me not others, I know I cannot change people, places or things. I try not to have other people live in my head rent free, that used to make me a bitter person. Life is much easier since I learned this.

God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change,

The Courage to change the things I can,

And the Wisdom to know the difference!

Please understand that nothing ruins my cruise experience. We cruise twice a year and obviously enjoy it. I'm just not the type of person to do nothing when I see something that bothers me . If everyone were like that, nothing would ever get fixed. I know there are many people who feel like I do - not just the dress code but the whole 'I'll do what I want attitude". If they would all start speaking up, we could make things better. My answer is 'No you won't do what you want if it is beyond accepted norms and bothers me". I'll just keep complaining and trying to get people kicked out of the MDR or have RCL tell parents to make their kids behave, etc. Not doing anything would upset me.

Trying to change things is a challenge. By the way, I do look down on people with that attitude. I am better than they are!

Please understand that nothing ruins my cruise experience. We cruise twice a year and obviously enjoy it. I'm just not the type of person to do nothing when I see something that bothers me . If everyone were like that, nothing would ever get fixed. I know there are many people who feel like I do - not just the dress code but the whole 'I'll do what I want attitude". If they would all start speaking up, we could make things better. My answer is 'No you won't do what you want if it is beyond accepted norms and bothers me". I'll just keep complaining and trying to get people kicked out of the MDR or have RCL tell parents to make their kids behave, etc. Not doing anything would upset me.

Trying to change things is a challenge. By the way, I do look down on people with that attitude. I am better than they are!

Unless I'm getting paid to be the dress code police I wouldn't say anything. And I'm not so I wouldn't.

Too funny!

Complaining about dress code enforcement is a waste of time and will only frustrate you. The trend in dress is firmly established and is based on the lifestyle changes of cruisers. I fully expect that one day soon, shorts in the dining room will become not only acceptable but common place.

God grant me the serenity...to change the things I can, accept the things I can not, and the wisdom to know the difference.

The reason changing things is a challenge is that you really cannot change people, places & things. I have found out that I can only change me! Have I been annoyed on a cruise ship heck yes! If someone annoyed me I moved away, if someone is wearing shorts in the MDR it does not bother me, my food tastes the same. I do dress in a suit on formal nights and always dress proper on other nights. My choice. I do not know other people's situation or reason for wearing something other than the Suggested Attire, but I really don't care or let it bother me. Same way with misbehaving children. Believe it or not we were kids once too. Please don't tell me that you always behaved because I would not believe it. I know that at times I could be a terror. Last cruise I had 5 kids run up in front of me at the ice cream station, instead of yelling at them I just let them go ahead of me and told them that tomorrow was my turn to cut in front of them. Low and behold my wife and I go for a ice cream and 2 of them are there with their parents. When it was their turn to get the ice cream I went ahead of them and said my turn today! They laughed, the dad asked what I was doing and his son told him the story and he laughed too. He did tell his sons that next time wait in line. Don't sweat the small stuff because it is all small stuff.

The reason changing things is a challenge is that you really cannot change people, places & things. I have found out that I can only change me! Have I been annoyed on a cruise ship heck yes! If someone annoyed me I moved away, if someone is wearing shorts in the MDR it does not bother me, my food tastes the same. I do dress in a suit on formal nights and always dress proper on other nights. My choice. I do not know other people's situation or reason for wearing something other than the Suggested Attire, but I really don't care or let it bother me. Same way with misbehaving children. Believe it or not we were kids once too. Please don't tell me that you always behaved because I would not believe it. I know that at times I could be a terror. Last cruise I had 5 kids run up in front of me at the ice cream station, instead of yelling at them I just let them go ahead of me and told them that tomorrow was my turn to cut in front of them. Low and behold my wife and I go for a ice cream and 2 of them are there with their parents. When it was their turn to get the ice cream I went ahead of them and said my turn today! They laughed, the dad asked what I was doing and his son told him the story and he laughed too. He did tell his sons that next time wait in line. Don't sweat the small stuff because it is all small stuff.

Totally enjoyed your post. Only one thing. I totally disagree with your first statement. Like I said if that was true, nothing would ever change in this world. Almost all influential people and great ideas involve changing how people think and how they do things. Note that I do not consider myself an influential person with any great ideas.

Paul, my initial observation was simply about the nomenclature they choose to use, and that the descriptions of what the same term means actually differ from one venue to another.

I could care less about the formal wear debate. And as much as it's probably hard to believe now, my intention was not to start yet another thread where people feel the need to pontificate about it.

I was merely marveling at the fact that if RCI can't even make up their mind what these terms mean, or what these expectations are, then I don't hold out a lot of hope for this motley crew to reach consensus!

I'm a little frustrated that the topic went SO off base and your initial topic...which is a very good one, got lost amid the rule followers/rule benders/rule breakers.

I'm taking my second RCI cruise next year. It's been a long time since the first one and there are more restaurant choices these days (it seems all with their own dress code) I hope by then I'll know which restaurants they request semi-formal and if they actually know what that means.

Totally enjoyed your post. Only one thing. I totally disagree with your first statement. Like I said if that was true, nothing would ever change in this world. Almost all influential people and great ideas involve changing how people think and how they do things. Note that I do not consider myself an influential person with any great ideas.

No one can change anyone unless they decide they want to change themselves. I spent half my life trying to change other people, when I finally realized that I could only change myself and my thinking my life became much easier and better.

p.s. my wife is still try to change me and she is not having much luck! lol

It seems that RCI has changed the wording for the specialty restaurants. I don't recall "formalwear" being part of the equation as it used to state that even on formal nights, smart casual was appropriate. This was the reason that so many of us chose to dine in the specialty venues on formal night.

I just checked to see if Celebrity changed their wording and it's still the same.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Not really surprised at the above from RCI. RCCL seems to have an issue with being consistent. The left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. On some Celebrity ships, some of the specialty restaurant managers have their own dress code which clearly goes against Celebrity's own printed dress code.

The above from RCI is clearly a change though. Maybe they are trying to tighten the dress code. The last time we were on the Allure it was anything goes. We saw shorts in both Chops and Giovanni's. I blame that on the restaurant managers for allowing it.

Gordon, we haven't packed a tuxedo or an evening gown in years. The last two cruises on Princess then RCI, we did a balcony private dinner or the lido, on a 14 night Princess, and then on the 7 night RCI we did the Italian specialty restaurant. I am a single suitcase guy now.

I am just going to ignore this thread and RCI's statements and continue to wear a nice pair of silk slacks and a really nice Tommy Bahama shirt or equivalent item and do what I have been doing. No more MDR on formal night for me... if everyone else in the specialty is in a jacket, I hope they offer me a 3 sizes too large sport coat while I eat dinner. I have actually had that experience in land restaurants....

jc

You mean jest? And don't call me Surely!

Of course some wrinkles expected. I'm talking about clothes that go way beyond a few wrinkles. You can see by the way they dress that they just don't care. I am sure you have seen these people on cruises! Not a pretty picture on any night. Totally out of place on formal nights or in any "upscale" specialty restaurant!

Then we should all chip in and buy them a bottle of Downey Wrinkle release. I can not remember the last time I used an iron.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Gordon, we haven't packed a tuxedo or an evening gown in years. The last two cruises on Princess then RCI, we did a balcony private dinner or the lido, on a 14 night Princess, and then on the 7 night RCI we did the Italian specialty restaurant. I am a single suitcase guy now.

I am just going to ignore this thread and RCI's statements and continue to wear a nice pair of silk slacks and a really nice Tommy Bahama shirt or equivalent item and do what I have been doing. No more MDR on formal night for me... if everyone else in the specialty is in a jacket, I hope they offer me a 3 sizes too large sport coat while I eat dinner. I have actually had that experience in land restaurants....

jc

I love being in a fancy dress. Well considering I owned a bridal shop for a long time ( hence abridalmaven) it should be no surprise. I figure until this frumpy old hag can still get away with one I will wear it. And Phil will get every last use out of his tux as possible. I don't doubt I will never be a one suitcase person.

No, they won't.

RCI is in the business of making people happy. Society is changing to the point where more and more people are content to dress less formally than in the past. RCI will not buck that trend but will go with it, especially if it means keeping their ships full. It's simple economics really.

A shrinking minority will do nothing to change the direction of a large corporation like RCI.

I love being in a fancy dress. Well considering I owned a bridal shop for a long time ( hence abridalmaven) it should be no surprise. I figure until this frumpy old hag can still get away with one I will wear it. And Phil will get every last use out of his tux as possible. I don't doubt I will never be a one suitcase person.

Barb, you know I have no problem doing the formal thing, and my lovely wife still looks stunning in a simple sun dress or occassionally nicer dress, but with the hassles of the airlines gouging me for an extra $100 bucks or more if we were each to take two bags for a simple 7 day cruise, I think of all of the things that would bring. Plus, when it comes to buying pictures we get our free diamond picture of me surfing or the two of us looking normal, and that saves money too. I have had too many life experiences where extra luggage is simply extra work. Think Venice from the Pilazza Roma and then schlepping your wheeled luggage over the stupid bridges in Venice, or the time in Auckland where the bus dropped us at the bottom of Queen Street and we had to walk 2 blocks straight up hill.

Learned how to do more with less in summer of 2008 when we bought the wife a car that has a micro trunk and drove all over Germany, Switzerland and Austria. We each had a small carry-on for 15 days. We managed well, still one of my favorite vacations.

jc

Archived