Oversight of the Cruise Industry Hearing

cjknox

For some reason I trust the cruise lines more then Sen. Jay Rockefeller.:eek:

Yes. Jay Rockefeller is a dud...he won't get re elected anyways so his legislation is likely dead in the water.

Cruise lines have been unregulated for years do to flying another countries flag. We've seen the results fires on both carnival and Royal without any regulatory agency to answer to. I hope everyone who has cruised or going to for the first time reads all the fine print in the contract. The cruise lines basically have a free ride you can't touch them for anything. I found it most interesting when they were talking about the lack of responsibility cruise lines have over medical care. They only have to provide a properly credentialed medical personal. If you go in complaining about a infected toe nail and they cut your foot off to treat it the cruise lines would not be responsible. I know a bit of a exaggeration but it drives home the point.

It is time for the free ride to end. I'm a Avid cruiser my favorite vacation without question, but lets not be naive and let's fix the damm thing!!!

Cruise lines have been unregulated for years do to flying another countries flag. We've seen the results fires on both carnival and Royal without any regulatory agency to answer to. I hope everyone who has cruised or going to for the first time reads all the fine print in the contract. The cruise lines basically have a free ride you can't touch them for anything. I found it most interesting when they were talking about the lack of responsibility cruise lines have over medical care. They only have to provide a properly credentialed medical personal. If you go in complaining about a infected toe nail and they cut your foot off to treat it the cruise lines would not be responsible. I know a bit of a exaggeration but it drives home the point.

It is time for the free ride to end. I'm a Avid cruiser my favorite vacation without question, but lets not be naive and let's fix the damm thing!!!

If the US government becomes involved in the cruise industry, you can expect prices to increase dramatically. Additional regulations will burden an industry already dealing with high fuel costs (as seen by recent cut backs throughout most cruise lines). The bottom line is; cruise lines are aware now more then ever, that they must provide a safe and reliable product to keep customers coming back. They don't need to be giving money to a government who only cares about the regulatory fees, not passenger safety.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Can you put a price on safety and responsibility. I realize getting the government involved isn't the best solution, but having the cruise lines regulate themselves isn't exactly ideal. How soon we forget about Costa Concordia, while a Italian cruise line the parent company is carnival.

Yes. Jay Rockefeller is a dud...he won't get re elected anyways so his legislation is likely dead in the water.
Rockefeller is retiring - probably because he would have had a hard time winning in WVa with coal issues etc. In the next Congress, the Commerce Committee Chairman is likely to be Bill Nelson from Florida if the Democrats retain the Senate and he would look out for an industry that has 5 homeports in his state. If the Republicans win control, it will probably be John Thune from South Dakota with Nelson being the Ranking (top) Democrat. Both Senators would be an improvement over Rockefeller on cruise issues.

Can you put a price on safety and responsibility. I realize getting the government involved isn't the best solution, but having the cruise lines regulate themselves isn't exactly ideal. How soon we forget about Costa Concordia, while a Italian cruise line the parent company is carnival.

If the cruiselines fail to regulate themselves they will find themselves out of business. You only have to look at the vast amount of money that Carnival is spending on safety upgrades and back-up generators to know that they realize this.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Archived