we have a cruise in 2 weeks our ports are

echotumi

ketchikan ,juneau,skagway , were doing a back to back so we will be there 2x . we have never been to skagway my ? is we like parks ect all the ports will have 4 cruise ships in them . so we whant to get away from the crowds . any thoughts on parks around the cruise ships ? any info will help .. we have taken public transport in both ketchikan and juneau . we are going to do mendenhall glacier one day last time we where there my wife had foot proplems so we didnt walk around alot .

Parks? Skagway has a couple small ones, but not sure if that is what you really mean? Do you just want to sit in a "park" all day? There are many historic touring options to also consider in Skagway. A good place to perhaps look at is the Park Service visitor center. They offer free walking tours that end in a "park". Free movie, free ranger talk, small museum. you do have to get there early to sign up for any walking tours. http://www.nps.gov/klgo

On a B2B with two stops in Juneau I'd recommend taking the all day boat trip down to Tracy Arm if your ship schedule permits. Fantastic scenery up close and personal that you can't get from the cruise ship. I've gone out with Adventure Bound 4 or 5 times and loved very trip.

In Skagway I'd rent a car and head out of town up into the Yukon. You'll be away from the crowds and can stop where and when you want with the bonus of fantastic scenery everywhere.

On a B2B with two stops in Juneau I'd recommend taking the all day boat trip down to Tracy Arm if your ship schedule permits. Fantastic scenery up close and personal that you can't get from the cruise ship. I've gone out with Adventure Bound 4 or 5 times and loved very trip.

In Skagway I'd rent a car and head out of town up into the Yukon. You'll be away from the crowds and can stop where and when you want with the bonus of fantastic scenery everywhere.

Great suggestions, but they need to scramble and make a car reservation, in Skagway, if there is any availability at this late date.

this was last min cruise but we did hold cars form avis: on both port days we thought we would check the weather when we got on the ship and cxl one of them . thats the type of info i was looking for . we have done the dog sleding last time also we go to hawaii alot so the whale watching we have done and last time on a cruise in alaska we saw alot of bubble netting from the ship was great .. lol no we wouldnt sit in a park all day were kinda of kicking back a lil on this trip since we live in vegas and its um hot here .ill look into the misty fords any other suggestions are great and helpful .

this was last min cruise but we did hold cars form avis: on both port days we thought we would check the weather when we got on the ship and cxl one of them . thats the type of info i was looking for . we have done the dog sleding last time also we go to hawaii alot so the whale watching we have done and last time on a cruise in alaska we saw alot of bubble netting from the ship was great .. lol no we wouldnt sit in a park all day were kinda of kicking back a lil on this trip since we live in vegas and its um hot here .ill look into the misty fords any other suggestions are great and helpful .

Frankly if you have a car in Skagway, then don't worry about any weather, especially if you haven't gotten into the Yukon before, this is a great opportunity for you, even doing it twice could offer you different experiences.

I recommend Misty Fiords by air.

The weather up in the Yukon may be different than down in Skagway. I've gone several times and had it clear up once I was over the summit

Misty Fjords is out of Ketchican, and I agree with BQ it's better seen by air. Tracy Arm is from Juneau and you want to go by boat here

One of your times in Skagway you can take part in some of the National Park Service activities/tours and/or take the Lower Dewey Lake hike. A more secluded but easy hike is past the airport (the opposite direction from the Dewey Lake hike). Yakutania Point and Smugglers Cove. Very few people venture over here, even though it is so close!

We have done the same and second both your recommendations.

I would just add, for anyone who has not taken the drive up to the Yukon before, to get Murray's Guide to take with you.

Also don't forget to bring your passport to show at the border crossing.

Archived