Why I wont go all inclusive again

skyw

But, it's definitely not the same price.

See, that depends on your style of vacationing, I guess. When at all-inclusives, I spend a lot more money on side trips, and I tip at an all inclusive as well (bartenders, wait staff, room attendants, taxi drivers, the person who helps arrange your trips, etc...) On cruises I usually end up going out on my own and don't spend a LOT of money in port or on side trips. However, I do have to buy my drinks on the cruise ship. The AI resort I went to had local food, free. While on a cruise, I spend extra to dine in port to experience local fare. So yes, for ME, it's about the same. For YOU it may not be the same price. I was doing simple base price travel fee comparison. We could argue all day about the "extras" that come with a cruise / AI... that was simply stating and sharing what I found for information.

And yes, when I did a 7 day AI, and a 7-day cruise (after looking back over my old credit card bills) ended up being within $250 of each other. (We already have money set aside on the cruise for tips, spending cash in port, and drinks... about the only extras we elect on a cruise.)

op = original poster...

So its a no-brainer - The land A-I is simply less stress, less money and more value!!

you forgot the chance of motion sickness. I have not been on a cruise yet so I cannot compare it yet. However, I am not looking as forward to the cruise as I would going to an AI in Jamaica or Punta Cana. AI's are a blast and you do meet alot of people from different parts of the world. Apple Vacations does offer the best bang for your buck, we have always used them and they are always running special deals. If you are going booking the AI at a per night rate, yes it is more expensive unless you use AA, Apple Vacations or Funjet Vacations.

See, that depends on your style of vacationing, I guess. When at all-inclusives, I spend a lot more money on side trips,

Excursions to DRF, horseback riding, catamaran were included when we stayed at Couples in Ocho Rios.

Excursions to DRF, horseback riding, catamaran were included when we stayed at Couples in Ocho Rios.

REALLY? Might have to look into that one. Couples? Sounds like a Sandals?

I LOVE to cruise, but our next cruise stops in Ocho and we just DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME to do all we want to do. Therefore we're looking at a long weekend on the island.

REALLY? Might have to look into that one. Couples? Sounds like a Sandals?

I LOVE to cruise, but our next cruise stops in Ocho and we just DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME to do all we want to do. Therefore we're looking at a long weekend on the island.

www.couples.com

It is a great place and is adults only. All excursions were included, trips to shopping, as mentioned DRF, horseback riding, they have tennis courts, water sports, water skiing, beach volleball, massages and hair stuff cost extra. They also have a private island off the shore of the beach (au natural), several included restaurants (some dressy, some buffet), piano bar that plays until people leave. Many rooms have jacuzzi tubs and balconies overlooking the ocean or rooms with pools in the garden area. It was a great time. Plenty of things to do and there are three different locations. There is some plan, I can't remember what it is called, but you can get surprise location... Negril, Ocho Rios, or the third one for a reduced rate. After you stay once and then return you can use an airplane for free to come from Mo'Bay to OR. Check it out.

We just did the Explorer and LOVED IT (as a family). I'm now considering our next vacation and someone suggested Iberostar Lindo in Riviera Maya. Anyone out there every do one of these? Do I risk trying an A.I. or do I stick with the cruise (activities and ENTERTAINMENT can't be beat!) because its a sure thing?

Its not the same, but on our recent Mariner cruise, we toured Atlantis in Nassau...paid the price to see most of the hightlights of the resort. I thought it was a beautiful hotel and some of the amenities were astounding but I was still happier to be on the ship across the harbor leaving at 5 to a new port of call.

Deb

This is exactly what I thought after visiting Atlantis. I loved it but I was THRILLED to go back to the ship!:D

Last year me and DW were trying to plan a Vacation. We had already been on 2 cruises together, and were trying to decide what to do next. I sugested AI.

Then I started doing some reseach and going to AI message boards and reading reviews and was concerned about what I was reading.

We would love to go on a adults only AI vacation someday, but over and over I read about people getting sick off of the food. Most people said that it was because the went to the buffets and the food was under cooked.

Could anyone that has been to AI tell me if they have experianced this.

BTY we decided to go on Paradise instead because it was the last Non Smoking cruise out of FL before the repo.

Cost was not what we were looking at all when trying to find a AI.

It was reviews from people staying at the Major AI resorts that said they got sick.

Thanks All!!!!:)

Last year me and DW were trying to plan a Vacation. We had already been on 2 cruises together, and were trying to decide what to do next. I sugested AI.

Then I started doing some reseach and going to AI message boards and reading reviews and was concerned about what I was reading.

We would love to go on a adults only AI vacation someday, but over and over I read about people getting sick off of the food. Most people said that it was because the went to the buffets and the food was under cooked.

BTY we decided to go on Paradise instead because it was the last Non Smoking cruise out of FL before the repo.

It was reviews from people staying at the Major AI resorts that said they got sick.

7-day at Holiday Inn SunSpree in Montego Bay, Jamaica - group of 7 of us and none got sick. We went to buffets and restaurants.

7-day at Holiday Inn SunSpree in Montego Bay, Jamaica - group of 7 of us and none got sick. We went to buffets and restaurants.

Thanks!!!

That might have been the problem. We did not look at holiday Inn. We were looking at the big names you always hear of when looking at AI.

One question did the rooms look like a HI hotel room or did they look like a resort room.

The reason I ask is we do spend a lot of time in our room.

mamax4 I have been to the Iberostar Del Mar which is next to the Lindo and you will not go wrong. The resort is top of the line and the place is absolutely gorgeous. We cruise and do all-inclusives, we just got back from Playa del Carmen and we love it there. The pool is unbelieveable you really have to see it to believe it. You get all your drinks free , drinks on the cruises are very expensive and our hotel this year did show a movie every afternoon and newer ones to. Also they have shows at night and we were shocked at the Iberostar how good the talent really was. You get to eat at the specialty restaurants for free where on the cruise Portifinos or Johnny Rockets is not free. We got very good deals thru Funjet on the excursions and the beach in the area is to die for. We had the best coconut ice cream I have ever had and it was free too. They let you use their kayaks and sailboats for free where as on Coco Cay they make you spent 10 on a life jacket just so you can go in the water. I think the cruise lines are really starting to nickel and dime us to death for every little extra thing but we do still like to cruise and will in the future but the AI are also alot of fun.

After reading your replys....I wonder which all inclusives are the best or similar to the service and food on a cruise? Sandals, Beaches? or does it depend on the location?

I think I would still miss seeing the ocean go by from my balcony.

Actually, I wouldn't go with Sandals...I would go with Couples in Jamaica. It doesn't feel so commercial, and yet still they have some of the best service around!! It feels more like a family, but more people know about the Sandals/Beaches corporation...

Couples can be found at http://www.couples.com

I am the original poster (op). I didn't know what it stood for either. I am finding this thread to be interesting. But I still think I would rather cruise. If I do another AI it will be for the location. For instance, St. lucia. I also agree with the other poster that said some of the ports get boring. It does seem that the ports do repeat themselves often.

SKYW

mamax4 I have been to the Iberostar Del Mar which is next to the Lindo and you will not go wrong. The resort is top of the line and the place is absolutely gorgeous. We cruise and do all-inclusives, we just got back from Playa del Carmen and we love it there.

Thanks for your imput, I'm new to this A.I. thing, is Playa del Carmen a town or area? I know that the Riu Palace is one we were looking at, I think thats in Playa. Does that sound right?

Anyway, thanks for all your help and advice! Kelly

mamax4 - if you want to take your family you could check out Beaches.They are one of the AI's for families. Also many of the Sol Melia brand resorts are VERY kid/teen friendly. You can let me know if you need more info.

I wasn't feeling well one morning while we were staying at Couples in Jamaica, but it wasn't the food .... may have been the free drinks the night before...:eek: :D :rolleyes:

We ate at the high end restaurants and the buffets and the food was very good at both. Breakfast is made to order eggs among a lot of other stuff.

Thanks for your imput, I'm new to this A.I. thing, is Playa del Carmen a town or area? I know that the Riu Palace is one we were looking at, I think thats in Playa. Does that sound right?

Anyway, thanks for all your help and advice! Kelly

Playa del Carmen is a town about 10-15 minutes south of the Iberostar. By staying at the Lindo, you can utilize the facilities at the Iberostar Quetzal in Playa and the one over on Cozumel. We didn't go to either but other guests did to save $ on meals while visiting Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. We have favorite local spot called Tarraya on the beach in Playa. A local brought us there on our first trip and we visited on our own the next. Incredibley fresh seafood prepared in authentic Mayan and Mexican recipes. And no, no one got sick. We ate and drank. Ten of us had lunch and drinks for $35.

The Iberostar is wonderful. We went 2 years in a row after 2 years of Dizzy World. My kids said it was WAY BETTER than Disney. The food was good, the resort, INCREDIBLE and staff went out of their way to ensure a great time.

My aunt and uncle LOVE the Riu chain. They don't stay anywhere else. I think either way, you can't go wrong.

We just did this comparison for next May. We wanted a "close by" warm vacation for 7 days or less. Decided to go back to the Mexican Riviera and looked at Vision of the Seas. They wanted $1,350 us pp for a balcony that did not include air or tips. From Vancouver, I could probably have gotten air for around $300 pp with transfers. We ended up booking the Westin in Cabo for 5 nights...air for 2 was under $800 and the room is less than $1,000. We have a premium oceanview room with full breakfast, spa certificate and evening drinks and hor d'oeuves. So no, it doesn't include all food which is fine, there's tons of good restaurants in that area and it's 5 days instead of 7 which actually suits us better, but the price difference is huge. We love all-inclusives and wouldn't hesitate to do them in place of a cruise. I like cruising to get an overview of the area, and then go back and spend some time.

We just returned from a four-day stay at the Occidental Grand Cozumel, and, although this way my first and only AI stay, I'd take a cruise any day of the week. Realizing that not all AIs are like the one we were at, this particular one was an expensive disappointment. The food was horrible and the drinks were really watered down, with bottom-shelf liquor (in spite of generous tipping, this was the way it was) and only draft beer available at the three bars. There was NO WAY that you were going to get your money's worth on the drinks or the food, though the grounds and rooms were lovely. I've taken two cruises with RC (both, wonderful!) and am taking an upcoming cruise in October on Princess. IMHO, cruising is a better bang for my buck. I don't mind the relatively small cabin space; how much time am I spending in the room, anyway? The service is typically great, you can always find something that's at least edible if not good, and...well, with the drinks, sure, you're paying for them, but I'd rather pay the price and get something decent. Besides, my sense of adventure makes me look forward to all the ports of call! :)

Wow, that's too bad, I'll make a note not to go there. We spent two weeks at the Bahia Principe Akumal on the Mayan Riviera and had a wonderful time, certainly no watered down drinks.... the Margaritas (we always asked for doubles) were at least triples. There was a mini-bar in the room (all complimentary) that had 4 XXX beer a day put in there, water, juices, etc. We were given bottles of Tequila in the dining rooms, one night my husband and I were drinking Cava with dinner and we liked it so much our waiter gave us a bottle "to go" to enjoy under the stars. There was always a bottle of Smirnoffs for bloody mary's with breakfast. I didn't experience one watered down drink the whole two weeks.

The Iberostar is wonderful. We went 2 years in a row after 2 years of Dizzy World. My kids said it was WAY BETTER than Disney. The food was good, the resort, INCREDIBLE and staff went out of their way to ensure a great time.

My aunt and uncle LOVE the Riu chain. They don't stay anywhere else. I think either way, you can't go wrong.

SoxFan (are you from Chicago by chance? Sorry, but you're talking to a Cub fan!) can you tell me if the kid activiites are as extensive as a cruise? My kids really enjoyed the organized kids activities for ALL ages on the Explorer. I'm concerned that there isn't as much to do for them besides a volleyball game or making a piece of pottery. We're talking about kids 7-14.

What do you think? Any feedback would be great!!!

Kelly

P.S. I'm strongly considering the Iberostar Lindo for a girls trip this May, I think it will be a perfect place for (middle-aged) girls go wild!

Archived