Carnival's new policy

tigerdadky

Obviously the problem here is how long it's been since the OP's last cruise. TONS of things have changed in the last 7 years...tons. I wonder how he made the booking and how nothing about the rate structure was explained? Even if you're doing it yourself on-line you still need to choose a rate (early saver, fun select, whatever).

I have always got onboard credit. Ive watched it right up to cruising time before and got OBC. Don't know whats different this time but I am appalled by this policy.

The first year they started that when I got ticked like you they said we have new programs now and special deals. They also will not let you book a different room catagory unless you pay at least $1 more for it. Not like before when they would upgrade your room if you could not get the OBC. I told the lady on the phone the name of the special program is called screw the customer because you found a way to market ES by making people book early spend more and hope you slip up on calling in to get the credit plus you always pay more than the lowest fare for ES. I have to book ES or book 5 weeks before I go now if you dont you get screwed out of hundreds of dollars I think when that happened I was screwed out of $400.

Sorry this has inconvenienced you, but this is not a new policy and has been in place for quite a while (long before the law suits you mentioned). Also all cruise lines have been following this policy as well, so if you are thinking RCL, NCL or any other line is going to be more accomodating you will also be disappointed. In fact Carnival is the only line that offers an Early Saver rate (if you book far enough in advance and are ok with the restrictions) which will allow you to get the ObC until 2 days prior to cruising. So you may want to rethink your Carnival boycott.

I've seen a lot of responses stating "early savers" could get on board credit if carnival advertise a lower price for your cruise up until 2-3 days prior to cruising. When I booked each of my cruises , I was told I could get a price adjustment up until the day I sail. If it's past the final payment it would result in OBC. Not sure where the miscommunication is coming in at, but would love for someone to clarify this for us all.

I've seen a lot of responses stating "early savers" could get on board credit if carnival advertise a lower price for your cruise up until 2-3 days prior to cruising. When I booked each of my cruises , I was told I could get a price adjustment up until the day I sail. If it's past the final payment it would result in OBC. Not sure where the miscommunication is coming in at, but would love for someone to clarify this for us all.

I was specifically told 2 days prior by my PVP with Carnival and also by other Carnival reps. Also I have seen it mentioned several times on here, not to say cruise critic is a reliable source in all cases. But it seems that is what the vast majority have been informed.

It is 2 business days prior to sailing and you can find that on the carnival website under the early saver terms and conditions. You can also find it under the early saver faq's on the carnival website.

. When I booked each of my cruises , I was told I could get a price adjustment up until the day I sail. If it's past the final payment it would result in OBC. Not sure where the miscommunication is coming in at, but would love for someone to clarify this for us all.

This rule has been changed as of December 2012.

Now only Early Saver bookings get rate reduction OBC past Final Payment date. This has been mentioned numerous times in this thread.

And after all this conversation.... in they fall they are restructuring pricing...

In my opinion... I think they will do away with early saver, and no obc after final payment. this program has cost them lots of money. They are dropping prices to fill the ship, and all the Es are taking advantage of it, which they are entitled to do. But it does hurt the cruiselines bottom dollar.

I have cruised with Carnival four times in the past and when there was a price drop Carnival always gave me some OBC. I noticed a price drop on my upcoming cruise and called,my PVP is no longer there, so I got his replacement, and was told that you could no longer get OBC after your final payment had been made. This is real convenient since all price drops happen after final payment, unless your a late booker and then you are probably getting the lower price. Carnival is screwing its loyal cruiser, I guess to pay for all the law suits they have had lately and to make sure they can keep LeBron in Miami. Will look elsewhere when I book my next cruise.:confused:

If you look elsewhere you will not find Early Saver which is the only way on Carnival to get OBC after final payment. It's not Carnival fault you didn't book at that rate. FWIW I booked 8 months in advance and had $640 total in price drops for our 2 rooms before final payment and $220 after final payment that is now OBC for our upcoming Freedom cruise. I had no price drops for my upcoming NCL cruise which I also booked 8 months in advance. The price only went up.

I have always got onboard credit. Ive watched it right up to cruising time before and got OBC. Don't know whats different this time but I am appalled by this policy.

You must not have cruised for the past several years as this has been the policy for quite a while now.

Welcome back to CC as you must have been gone for a long time not to know that.

They aren't screwing anyone if they have a policy and they follow it. If you don't like it don't book with them. Simple. And since when do all price drops happen after final payment? I have read tons of threads where people state they are getting drops way in advance.

And I'm sure paying the heat has so much to do with it. :rolleyes:

I have cruised with Carnival four times in the past and when there was a price drop Carnival always gave me some OBC. I noticed a price drop on my upcoming cruise and called,my PVP is no longer there, so I got his replacement, and was told that you could no longer get OBC after your final payment had been made. This is real convenient since all price drops happen after final payment, unless your a late booker and then you are probably getting the lower price. Carnival is screwing its loyal cruiser, I guess to pay for all the law suits they have had lately and to make sure they can keep LeBron in Miami. Will look elsewhere when I book my next cruise.:confused:

I agree with you that the best prices tend to come after final payment date passes. Great reason to wait and book closer to sail date. My guess is that early saver will go away when Carnival redoes it's pricing structure in the fall. Their fare rules have become so complicated that some travel agents won't book Carnival and they generate unnecessary ill will for some customers. Not a good way to do business. Hopefully you will reconsider Carnival after they redo their pricing structure and rules later this year.

I booked for my October cruise in March, have not reached final payment yet, and have had FIVE price drops. BTW, I am booked early saver so if any drops DO happen after final payment, I'll get those in the form of OBC. :)

I agree with you that the best prices tend to come after final payment date passes. Great reason to wait and book closer to sail date. My guess is that early saver will go away when Carnival redoes it's pricing structure in the fall. Their fare rules have become so complicated that some travel agents won't book Carnival and they generate unnecessary ill will for some customers. Not a good way to do business. Hopefully you will reconsider Carnival after they redo their pricing structure and rules later this year.

Sure hope not. I love ES especially when you can price drop to other categories. On our 2014 B2B we started matching to F&W,PG and now have had 4 price drops since Military Savings appeared. Love it.

Archived