Carnival's new policy

tigerdadky

I have cruised with Carnival four times in the past and when there was a price drop Carnival always gave me some OBC. I noticed a price drop on my upcoming cruise and called,my PVP is no longer there, so I got his replacement, and was told that you could no longer get OBC after your final payment had been made. This is real convenient since all price drops happen after final payment, unless your a late booker and then you are probably getting the lower price. Carnival is screwing its loyal cruiser, I guess to pay for all the law suits they have had lately and to make sure they can keep LeBron in Miami. Will look elsewhere when I book my next cruise.:confused:

That's not new at all. I've been cruising for 10 years, and it's been that way all along. All other cruiselines do it the exact same way, as far as I know. Only Early Saver bookings (only available on Carnival) allow OBC after final payment. If you find any other cruiseline that does this at all, shout it from the rooftops, because plenty of people will love to hear about it.

I have cruised with Carnival four times in the past and when there was a price drop Carnival always gave me some OBC. I noticed a price drop on my upcoming cruise and called,my PVP is no longer there, so I got his replacement, and was told that you could no longer get OBC after your final payment had been made. This is real convenient since all price drops happen after final payment, unless your a late booker and then you are probably getting the lower price. Carnival is screwing its loyal cruiser, I guess to pay for all the law suits they have had lately and to make sure they can keep LeBron in Miami. Will look elsewhere when I book my next cruise.:confused:

You just posted this on another thread and I answered there. If you did not book Early Saver then price drops have never been available after final payment. Early Saver is the only one that you can get the OBC for drops after final payment. That is nothing new.

It looks like the last time you cruised Carnival was 2007? After that, a new rate called early saver came out and that is the only rate where you can get price drops after final payment.

There are restrictions so it's not for everyone. I like it personally.

Book early saver and quit your griping. You can get price protection until three days before sailing. And you will love it. Everytime you get a drop..it is sort of exciting.

Trust me. My first time with it. I love it.

Sorry this has inconvenienced you, but this is not a new policy and has been in place for quite a while (long before the law suits you mentioned). Also all cruise lines have been following this policy as well, so if you are thinking RCL, NCL or any other line is going to be more accomodating you will also be disappointed. In fact Carnival is the only line that offers an Early Saver rate (if you book far enough in advance and are ok with the restrictions) which will allow you to get the ObC until 2 days prior to cruising. So you may want to rethink your Carnival boycott.

I too responded on the other thread. Reposting here:

No price drops/OBC on Celebrity after final payment either. Not even the option to book Early Saver to where it would be possible to get such things.

This is the way it is everywhere so I don't know why people keep bringing it up. It's not unique to Carnival. In fact, Carnival is a lot more forgiving with price drops even before final payment. Celebrity skirts around that by making sales "For new bookings only". Therefore, denying even their most loyal customers any reductions. And they don't let you cancel and rebook either.

There are a lot of things Celebrity does better than Carnival. However, taking care of the customer as far as price drops goes, is not one of them.

They aren't screwing anyone if they have a policy and they follow it. If you don't like it don't book with them. Simple. And since when do all price drops happen after final payment? I have read tons of threads where people state they are getting drops way in advance.

And I'm sure paying the heat has so much to do with it. :rolleyes:

Don't know whats different this time but I am appalled by this policy.

What happens if you find out that the price of your brand new car has dropped in pricing AFTER you bought it? Or your airline ticket? Or your new shoes?

Carnival's Early Saver is about the only bet you have of getting OBC after final payment.

Good luck finding another cruise line (or product) that does this.

If you booked early saver on your previous cruises that is why you got the OBC for the price drops after final payment. Apparently now you are booked under some other rate because if you were under early saver you would indeed get the price drops as OBC.

I'm not sure why you are appalled at this policy because this has been Carnivals policy for quite some time now. If you want OBC after final payment then you need to always book early saver which is your choice to do not Carnival's. Good luck with the other lines as I don't think they offer the OBC after final payment if the price drops as Carnival does.

Supposing the price went up after final payment? Should you be charged the difference?

Really, as others have already said, no credit after final payment date is pretty standard in the industry and is nothing new.

Oh, by the way, ALL price drops DO NOT happen after the final payment date. We had four drops prior to our final payment that I took advantage of so I'm plenty happy with that. :)

RCL doesn't give you anything either. in fact they really screwed me. I booked as a solo and the total (because you pay double) was $2500, I asked them if I wanted to book my mom, how much would that cost? they said, I would only have to pay port taxes since I already basically paid for 2 people. great! I called a week later and they charged me $1200 for port taxes and because the price went up! Carnival NEVER charged me like that. Then I saw our cabin price went down (before final payment) NOTHING. no obc, no upgrade NOTHING. oh well. It went down after final payment..NOTHING again!

Officially, this took place in December 2012. Prior to that on a case by case basis you could sometimes get additional OBC after final. It was just not advertised. In early December 2012 all travel agents were notified that there would no longer be any exceptions for anyone that had not booked early saver.

QUOTE=tigerdadky;39375741]I have always got onboard credit. Ive watched it right up to cruising time before and got OBC. Don't know whats different this time but I am appalled by this policy.

My wife and I just booked 2 weeks ago for a cruise in October. Too late for early saver which we had on our last cruise and did very well with price drops and ended up with over $300 in OBC. 2 days after booking we got a $40 price drop. A week later we got another one fro $20. We booked a military rate which was available for this cruise. Today is final payment date. If Carnival drops the price of our category after tomorrow, we will not get any price drop. We are okay with that. We still got a great price for an interior.

My advice to you is; do your homework. We went on 4 cruises before we learned how to take advantage of price drops. Then we picked up tips here on CC, talking with other guests on board, advice from a PVP, a travel agent and finally, reading the fine print in "terms of agreement" on the Carnival site.

Like a few others have asked you, what rate type did you book? That is the ultimate deciding factor.

Good luck to you in who ever you book with in the future.

You don’t get price drop on board credit before final payment.

You get a price reduction in the amount of your cruise.

You do get price drop on board credit after final payment.

We have received three so far on our upcoming Sensation cruise. One this week.

You must have booked using the early saver rate and qualify for the lower rate.

Did you book Early Saver? If not you're out of luck. If you find another cruise line that will give you OBC after final payment, please let all of us know. Will you keep starting new threads until you get the answer you want? It's not Carnivals fault that you did not book Early Saver.

i have cruised with carnival four times in the past and when there was a price drop carnival always gave me some obc. I noticed a price drop on my upcoming cruise and called,my pvp is no longer there, so i got his replacement, and was told that you could no longer get obc after your final payment had been made. This is real convenient since all price drops happen after final payment, unless your a late booker and then you are probably getting the lower price. Carnival is screwing its loyal cruiser, i guess to pay for all the law suits they have had lately and to make sure they can keep lebron in miami. Will look elsewhere when i book my next cruise.:confused:

hi--dont kow what you are talking about-----we had a drop in price on our coming european trip--all paid up too----our man at carnival-----gave us the discount ----- as ---on board credit---of course we have 57 cruises with carnival--perhaps that is the reason----but we find them very fair to deal with---so---think twice before you leave carnival--and the perks--after so-many cruises are great------irene and john--

We booked Early Saver for our January 2014 B2B. We've received 6 price drops on the 1st one by price matching to F&W,PG and Military Savings. We've received 7 price drops on our 2nd cruise price matching to the same rates as mentioned above.

Our final payment date in November 4th on the 1st one & November 11th on the 2nd one.

I have always got onboard credit. Ive watched it right up to cruising time before and got OBC. Don't know whats different this time but I am appalled by this policy.

Are you talking about your 2006 Elation cruise?

Archived