How HAL Could Turn Things Around

mariner

Ok I understand that you are all upset and I've read about 100 posts on this issue, but...:

Why can't you still taste the wines at the wineries during shore excursions- would that not be sufficient in letting you have a nice sampling of the wines?

If the wine list isn't perfect- why do you have to have the most fantastic wine ever while on the ship? Why can't you have mediocre wine with the mediocre food and wait until you get home to have your beloved wines and honestly- better food? Does the wine really make the cruise? There are a lot of things that aren't top notch in a cruise- bathroom size, laundry, desserts- so why does the wine have to be?

I understand why you are all upset- the suddenness of the decision- but honestly..... You can drink your high end wines at home.

HAL has a pretty good wine list. If theyd cut the prices, Id like to think the angst would go away. Id love to carry my cellar with me. Im not a snob and can read a wine list and find some bargains. I can deal with it.

Ok I understand that you are all upset and I've read about 100 posts on this issue, but...:

Why can't you still taste the wines at the wineries during shore excursions- would that not be sufficient in letting you have a nice sampling of the wines?

If the wine list isn't perfect- why do you have to have the most fantastic wine ever while on the ship? Why can't you have mediocre wine with the mediocre food and wait until you get home to have your beloved wines and honestly- better food? Does the wine really make the cruise? There are a lot of things that aren't top notch in a cruise- bathroom size, laundry, desserts- so why does the wine have to be?

I understand why you are all upset- the suddenness of the decision- but honestly..... You can drink your high end wines at home.

No wine to be had in the Caribbean...

They just do not have the types we are into, im even flexible on brand. Id be willing to pay a corkage like PCL.

Yes wine makes the cruise, and im never in a bad cabin lol

This is what i was referring to when i said no wines in the Caribbean.

The wine list in the Caribbean is the same as in France. Get over yourself. Your're not that sharp with wine.

Mariner, you're RUDE. No reason for it. I never said i was a wine snob. I like what i like. Of course the wine list in the Caribbean is the same, duh, the person posting above did not mean that.

Geeze whats with the angry old man bid?

Check your glasses, you are not reading things correctly. Makes you look silly.

First, Im not old. Second, you were the one who said there's a difference in the wine list. Im not rude. Just saying.

Readddddddddddd Mariner. Read it. No one said there was a difference in the wine list!

I said there was no wine, in reference to seago2 post about winery port stops/excursions in the Caribbean. Geeze.

[quote name='Seago2']Ok I understand that you are all upset and I've read about 100 posts on this issue, but...:

I understand why you are all upset- the suddenness of the decision- but honestly..... You can drink your high end wines at home.[/QUOTE]

Why do people need to get massages on cruises? Or get facials? Isn't a vacation about pampering? Why do people who enjoy fine wine have to check their passion at the door? Sure, we could drink mediocre wine. But that is not what vacations are for. They call them "everyday wines" for a reason and when I am on a cruise, it is not "everyday". And up until this week, HAL seemed to get that. But instead of giving people somethinh special to look forward to, it is now apologizing and touting its packages stuffed with mediocrity.

As for drinking wines while in port, first, it is apples and oranges. Going to a tasting room to sip tasting pours of the latest vintage is not the same as gazing at a sunset from your verandah with a nicely aged Cote de Beaune. .Both experiences can be wonderful. But they are not interchangeable. And not every port is laden with fine wine worth tasting. Some areas like Greece and Croatia are great for experimenting. But you are going to kiss a lot of frogs before finding a prince.

In the end, there just seem to be a lot of vocal people who do not have a passion for fine wine and who just don't understand the level of passion of those that do. I can understand the "this doesn't impact me so I don't care" approach. But what I don't understand is the "you wine lovers are irrational and should get over it and drink the mass-marketed, characterless wines that the ship offers" approach. You are never going to convince wine lovers who view vacations as the optimal time to enjoy their favorite wines in a heavenly setting to give up that passion. HAL either has to re-think this or risk losing them. HAL is not as unique as many here seem to believe.

[quote name='JimmyVWine']Why do people need to get massages on cruises? Or get facials? Isn't a vacation about pampering? Why do people who enjoy fine wine have to check their passion at the door? Sure, we could drink mediocre wine. But that is not what vacations are for. They call them "everyday wines" for a reason and when I am on a cruise, it is not "everyday". And up until this week, HAL seemed to get that. But instead of giving people somethinh special to look forward to, it is now apologizing and touting its packages stuffed with mediocrity.

As for drinking wines while in port, first, it is apples and oranges. Going to a tasting room to sip tasting pours of the latest vintage is not the same as gazing at a sunset from your verandah with a nicely aged Cote de Beaune. .Both experiences can be wonderful. But they are not interchangeable. And not every port is laden with fine wine worth tasting. Some areas like Greece and Croatia are great for experimenting. But you are going to kiss a lot of frogs before finding a prince.

In the end, there just seem to be a lot of vocal people who do not have a passion for fine wine and who just don't understand the level of passion of those that do. I can understand the "this doesn't impact me so I don't care" approach. But what I don't understand is the "you wine lovers are irrational and should get over it and drink the mass-marketed, characterless wines that the ship offers" approach. You are never going to convince wine lovers who view vacations as the optimal time to enjoy their favorite wines in a heavenly setting to give up that passion. HAL either has to re-think this or risk losing them. HAL is not as unique as many here seem to believe.[/QUOTE]

Good post....I do understand where you are coming from. The problem is, I do not believe HAL is going to change. We need the person (who told us a long time ago )about the change to ask their inside source why a corkage fee for unlimited bottles is not an option. I have a feeling HAL does not want to deal with marking bottles and collecting the fee at ports. Just when I was convincing myself wine didn't matter, you made me think...

Archived