West Coast Carnival Cruises: San Diego

trekie69

Took a 4 day cruise on the Carnival Elation from San Diego to Cabo Thanksgiving weekend 5 or 6 years ago. Thought it was a much better itinerary then the 3 or 4 day Catalina, Enseneda itinerary out of Long Beach. Certainly don't understand Carnival's thinking having two ships sailing out of Long Beach rather then the San Diego to Cabo trip. Have had our 18 year old son who just graduated from high school this past June on all our previous cruises. Looks like the calendar that was shared with all the cruises out of San Diego begin in Sept without any during the summer months. When you have to plan around school schedules these just don't work. Now that he's graduated will probably be just the wife and I so although we've always sailed with Carnival maybe it's time to try one of these other lines that sail out of San Diego. Any recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks.

I wish there were more West coast cruises. Canada to San Diego is just fine by us. :)

I agree. We've been on two cruises..

1st was a 4 day on paradise to catalina ensenada

2nd on7 day splendor to cabo and PV

I'm dying to go on a 3rd cruise but airfare is to much $$$ on top of cruise cost. If airfare wasnt an issue we've would have already done 2 more cruises.

Just last night I told dh do we want to visit new ports at a cost of caribean $1500-$2000 plus another $1000-$1500 for airfare for 3 of us :( or do we just want to be on a cruise and enjoy being on a cruise . At this point I'm thinking sticking to cabo and pv again and maybe just enjoying the ship.

Canada or san fransico would be neat too

I live in San Diego, and its all about the money. Carnival has a financial vested interest in Long Beach. San Diego Port fees are not attractive enough for most ships to Home Port. The Port is run by the Port Authority and they are a money grabbing machine. Same authority runs the airport and convention center. If they finally decide to be more competitive, then ships will come back in droves, but until then, its going to be mostly Hawaiian cruises since they can hover around Ensenada so they call escape the "Jones Act" situation.

My first Carnival cruise was Elation from San Diego. 7-day, which allowed my dad to perform as Sinatra. We've also done 2 Holland America cruises and returned from a PC cruise to SD. The port is easy to get in and out of with off site parking.

Yes I have and I don't think they are that great. Are you saying they are cheap? They seem expensive to me for what you get, and again, bottom line, I will not drive from San Diego to Long Beach for a cruise that goes to Ensenada. I've gone from cruising 10+ times a year from the West Coast to one cruise this year and the only reason I went on that is because I had a friend get married on the Inspiration. I am one of CCL's Diamond Cruisers and they have lost business from me and several of my friends due to the lack of itinerary and the product offered.

Sadly, they could not fill the Splendor at fare when she was there. They then had to sailher around South America half full. Don't think they will be repeating that anytime soon (read that as until they finish the widening of the canal). I wish they did something different itin wise on the west coast as well. Don't see that coming either.

Yes I have and I don't think they are that great. Are you saying they are cheap? They seem expensive to me for what you get, and again, bottom line, I will not drive from San Diego to Long Beach for a cruise that goes to Ensenada. I've gone from cruising 10+ times a year from the West Coast to one cruise this year and the only reason I went on that is because I had a friend get married on the Inspiration. I am one of CCL's Diamond Cruisers and they have lost business from me and several of my friends due to the lack of itinerary and the product offered.

No just the opposite of cheap. The short cruises on the West Coast sell at a pretty significant premium to the short cruises from Florida. That is why they are adding a second ship to do them. Clearly they are making more profit on the short cruises from LA, than the short cruises from Florida.

I live in San Diego, and its all about the money. Carnival has a financial vested interest in Long Beach. San Diego Port fees are not attractive enough for most ships to Home Port. The Port is run by the Port Authority and they are a money grabbing machine. Same authority runs the airport and convention center. If they finally decide to be more competitive, then ships will come back in droves, but until then, its going to be mostly Hawaiian cruises since they can hover around Ensenada so they call escape the "Jones Act" situation.

What you say is probably true, but looking at the link I posted in #23 above, in Sept, HAL, Celebrity, and Princess all dock in San Diego at least once. In OCT and NOV, HAL, Princess, Celebrity all dock multiple times. And so it goes...

Not a "home port' but at least they have sailings from San Diego.

Since I'm 'lobbying' Carnival, I also sent an email to the Port of San Diego as well. Fair is fair!

As an out of towner, every time I have looked at flying into San Diego, it is usually $50-$100 more than LA or Long Beach, so I will just rent a car and drive down there for the day.

This is DEF TRUE! I am taking a land vaca to SD next year, but flying into LAX instead of SD is almost half the price! So we are doing that and driving to SD from there.

Foe those of you looking for West Coast cruises, Celebrity and Princess have a couple good ones coming up in March 2014. They visit places like Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Monterey, Catalina Island, San Diego, and Ensenada.

I'm booked on Celebrity at the end of March for pacific costal.

Maybe cruises out of San Diego to Panama, Costa Rica or Guatemala and maybe Mexican port on way back would be something to consider

Yes, this!

There is so much they could do if they chose to. I live in CA and have never cruised out of this state because I just don't like the options. I have no desire to go to Ensenada, PV, or Cabo. But if Carnival sailed from San Diego to anything slightly more interesting in South America I would go in a heartbeat.

And I LOVE San Diego! One of my favorite cities to visit. Would be more than happy to sail from there on a cruise ship with a decent itinerary. I'd definitely prefer it over LA any day.

An open "letter" to Carnival Cruise Lines:

Dear Sirs:

You've been gone from San Diego for a few years now, have you had a chance to figure out what your future plans are?

My spouse and I have always enjoyed cruising with CCL, but we frankly don't care to have to budget more funds for non-essential items like paid parking and pre and/or post cruise hotel stayovers. This costs more and consumes more vacation time that can be better spent elsewhere like visiting parents and loved ones.

And for out-of-towners, can San Diego really be all that bad?

Our airport is under 3 miles from the cruise ship terminal;

Downtown San Diego is literally right off the dock;

The San Diego Trolley is a block away with transfers to the San Diego Zoo,

Sea World, Sea World Water Park, and Legoland;

The Gas Lamp District is short trolley ride away as is the Convention Center.

OK, so no, I don't work for the chamber of commerce and no, I'm not a "chearleader" for San Diego, and yes, we certainly have out share of problems, but really, why not come back to San Diego?

Thanks for wonderful memories of the Carnival Spirit and Carnival Elation.

Sincerely, trekie69.

And now - what opinions does the rest of CCL's cruisers have to say? Or am I way out line here or unduly ra-ra-ing?

Thanks for reading!

I am with you on this, we re from Colorado and San Diego is the port we love to cruise out of. It was a very sad day when we heard the Spirit was leaving. :( :( :(

• 2 months later...

Dear Carnival,

Come back and we'll show you the money. When you pulled out of SD, everything was stacked against crusing here. We were in the beginnings of the recession, there were constant reports of violence in mexico and then the swine flu hit.

Yes, I took advantage of these and still went on cruises and got great rates. As a business owner, I agreed with your decision to leave when you could get more for ships sailing out of Florida, Galveston & New Orleans.

Now I am looking at the rates of all the ships and they are down below what we were paying for the ships out of San Diego. I see you added the Imagination for more 3/4 enseada and catalina runs. WHY??? Please add back the 4/5 Cabo runs. They were the best.

I try to get my friends to go on the Catalina/Ensenada runs out of Long Beach and they all say why bother. We can drive down to Ensenada and be there in a little over an hour. We've actually ridden jet skis over to Catalina. But Cabo, everyone loves Cabo.

I undertand if the Port Authority is charging too much to bring the ships back. If so, start a PR campaign with the people of San Diego to get them to make our port attractive to business. Everyone wins with a cruise ship in town.

If you can't do that, at least consider giving us the shorter cabo option cruises out of Long Beach.

Happy Cruising.

I would love for Carnival to do a Pacific Coastal cruise (similar to what Princess offers). I'd try to be one of the first ones to book.

Ultimately for me would be:

LA (San Pedro)

San Diego

San Francisco

Catalina or Ensenada

preferably 2 sea days

At least IMHO

I'm doing a similar itinerary on Celebrity in March (2nights in SF, Santa Barbara, Ventura and Ensenada.) no sea days.

Love San Diego! Come back and let us know when Bob Filner gets the boot. :eek:

Bob Filner is gone. Resigned, indicted, pled guilty, sentenced. The streets of San Diego are safe again... and ANYONE is a better friend of the tourism industry than that rat!

Archived