Assistance on question about travel Visas

Chihuahua-Mama

I have a question perhaps you can assist me with.

My friend is traveling with us this Sept. this is her first cruise.

When we booked and did her online checkin, the carnival sight flagged her and said she may need additional visas. This is fine, but we are having a terrible time trying to figure out exactly what it is she really needs.

Here is the weird situation. She is a canadian citizen and resident, but was born in the UK and has a UK passport.

When we travel from Canada to the USA they give her a card at the border allowing her passage into the USA.

Will she require something more because she has a UK PASSPORT?

I was told that she may also need more visas to enter the ports? I am a canadian citizen and have ALWAYS only shown my sail and sign card and drivers license. I am very confused why she would be asked for something different when arriving at a port.

However our biggest concern is debarking the ship in NY city and what the USA CUSTOMS will require of her to come home

Any assistance will be awesome

If they are travelling on a UK passport then I wouldn't take any chances and get an ESTA, which all UK passport holders need when travelling to the US. They only cost $14. Find the ONLY official website below. Authorisation is normally instant or within a few hours, make a note of the application number, you can go back and check on the authorisation if it doesn't happen instantly. You can pay by debit or credit card.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

If they are travelling on a UK passport then I wouldn't take any chances and get an ESTA, which all UK passport holders need when travelling to the US. They only cost $14. Find the ONLY official website below. Authorisation is normally instant or within a few hours, make a note of the application number, you can go back and check on the authorisation if it doesn't happen instantly. You can pay by debit or credit card.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Yes there are other sites where you can get an ESTA (visa-waiver), some of the sites look official. But they're agencies, which will cream you for a few more bucks. Useful for complicated visas for some countries, totally unnecessary for an ESTA which is very simple, so use only the site linked by Dave.

Country of residence is immaterial, doesn't even appear on a passport. Canadian citizenship is a complication which may render an ESTA unnecessary.

But such complications mean you may get conflicting or totally incorrect advice, even from professionals in the travel trade.

For the sake of just $14 I'd play safe & get an ESTA.

BTW, although you can print it off it's unlikely US immigration will ask to see it - as soon as they scan the passport they'll see on their screens that there's a valid ESTA.

JB :)

Archived