Passion Island--try to get the earlier excursion

cwestbrook

The excursion list said the Passion Island catamaran excursion left at 10:30. When we tried to buy tickets we were told it was sold out but they had added an 8:30 departure. We LOVED it because we were the first to the island, had our pick of the place, there weren't many of us there for a while (the next group didn't get there until after 11) and it was during the cooler part of the day. So, you might ask if there is an 8:30 departure even if it isn't listed. We were the only ship in port that day so it wasn't because there were multiple ships.

My only complaint is the time there is too short---for either departure. Three hours just isn't long enough to really relax and enjoy the place. We loved being there and will go again. Food was surprisingly good, no music (good thing), peaceful, you could get away from people, attentive waiters, plenty of hammocks, beds, lounges, tables and chairs. $30 30 minute massage was wonderful.

I had read they hound you over and over about tipping but we never heard that. They just explained how everything worked, where everything was and what time to get back on the boat. At the end of the boat ride back to the ship, they held their tip jars but no more than any other excursion/tour I've ever been on.

We didn't want the early shift both times we went, but you are right, as it can be a mad scramble to get a table and chairs, which is poor planning by pasion Island. They know there will be a bunch of people at once, so hey, put out some more tables and chairs.

The two times we booked with the ship, Royal and Carnival. We prefer independent tours,but the PI tour is a little hard to book, and if you do, it is a bus ride to the east end of Coz and then a short boat ride..The price was a little higher PP on Royal than Carnival.

Did you book this with your cruise line? Or outside of that?

We visited Passion Island on August 2.

IMPORTANT - TAKE & USE BUG SPRAY!! Our group of 5 got many mosquito bites while there, beginning as soon as you exit the boat and have to stand while listening to the orientation; and sitting at our table relaxing in the shade. It made for a miserable next day, our last sea day!

However, the island is beautiful and a fun way to spend the day! The island is famous as the spot for the Corona beer commercial and we also learned the day after our visit, model/actor/dancing with the stars contestant - William Levy was going to get married on the island. It is so pretty!

We booked "Isla Passion by Twister" through Carnival on the Conquest. It was $93.99 per person. Everyone had a blast doing fast turns, coming and going, and we got drenched from head to toe! They have a storage space on the boat for beach bags - so your stuff stays dry. Four twister boats went out our day, but by luck we were the first to arrive and it was an awesome view with no one on the beach yet. Then several catamaran boats brought people throughout the day and yes it was full but it never felt over crowded to me. One annoying thing is having smokers nearby when you're a non smoker. It would be great to have smoking/non-smoking areas.

The service was great with several rounds of drinks and a plate of chips and guacamole brought to us, then the walk up lunch buffet was good and plentiful, too. We didn't mind tipping our table server $20, for 5 of us - he worked hard and fast bringing drinks to his tables; and we tipped the island guide (Ida) $5 - she kept track of time and when it was time to meet to leave, two members of my family were in the water - I thought I'd have to walk down there to gather them (it was very, very hot so I did not look forward to having to leave the shade to find my husband and daughter), Ida went down to the water to make sure everyone heard her announcements.

It was a great day. (except for the mosquito bites which we should've planned ahead for!!)

We visited Passion Island on August 2.

IMPORTANT - TAKE & USE BUG SPRAY!! Our group of 5 got many mosquito bites while there, beginning as soon as you exit the boat and have to stand while listening to the orientation; and sitting at our table relaxing in the shade. It made for a miserable next day, our last sea day!

However, the island is beautiful and a fun way to spend the day! The island is famous as the spot for the Corona beer commercial and we also learned the day after our visit, model/actor/dancing with the stars contestant - William Levy was going to get married on the island. It is so pretty!

We booked "Isla Passion by Twister" through Carnival on the Conquest. It was $93.99 per person. Everyone had a blast doing fast turns, coming and going, and we got drenched from head to toe! They have a storage space on the boat for beach bags - so your stuff stays dry. Four twister boats went out our day, but by luck we were the first to arrive and it was an awesome view with no one on the beach yet. Then several catamaran boats brought people throughout the day and yes it was full but it never felt over crowded to me. One annoying thing is having smokers nearby when you're a non smoker. It would be great to have smoking/non-smoking areas.

The service was great with several rounds of drinks and a plate of chips and guacamole brought to us, then the walk up lunch buffet was good and plentiful, too. We didn't mind tipping our table server $20, for 5 of us - he worked hard and fast bringing drinks to his tables; and we tipped the island guide (Ida) $5 - she kept track of time and when it was time to meet to leave, two members of my family were in the water - I thought I'd have to walk down there to gather them (it was very, very hot so I did not look forward to having to leave the shade to find my husband and daughter), Ida went down to the water to make sure everyone heard her announcements.

It was a great day. (except for the mosquito bites which we should've planned ahead for!!)

Thanks for your review. I'm looking into going here and always want to hear more.

Were these mosquito bites or no-seaum bites? Did you see them? Just wondering. I have found that it all depends on the time you go if you get bitten or not and if it has rained prior to going. :( I'll always remember to take mine to each port, just in case it's needed.

Thanks for your review. I'm looking into going here and always want to hear more.

Were these mosquito bites or no-seaum bites? Did you see them? Just wondering. I have found that it all depends on the time you go if you get bitten or not and if it has rained prior to going. :( I'll always remember to take mine to each port, just in case it's needed.

Definately dark mosquitos! You could see them landing on your arms, legs and on other people, we were swatting away like crazy. I didn't inquire about recent rain. They have some shacks for shopping and I saw "Off" bug spray that was for the employees use (near the checkout/but not for sale) - so I know it wasn't just tourists that were bothered by them. A little friend we met that day, an 8 yr. old girl, got stung by a bee that she tried to swat away. Oh boy, she screamed and cried - luckily by the end of the day she was happy again!!

My husband, and SIL had the worst reactions later that night and following day - large welts, red hot at the sight. My 17 yr. old daughter had less of a reaction, but did have crazy itching. My 14 yr. old daughter and I also got bit and had itching but not like the others in our group. They really could have used an oral non-drowsy benadryl/antihistamine to help relieve their discomfort, but we didn't bring any and they didn't want to go down to ship medical. I did have a travel sized benadryl spray and hydrocortisone cream that we used, but it didn't give much relief. Back on the ship, our last sea day we made cold compresses out of washcloths dipped in ice bucket water and my SIL said that helped some, the rest of the time they just toughed it out.

As someone who practically packs everything but the kitchen sink, I was just upset with myself for forgetting "bug spray" and then we really needed it, so I will forewarn as many as I can so they don't have do go through the discomfort we experienced.

Definately dark mosquitos! You could see them landing on your arms, legs and on other people, we were swatting away like crazy. I didn't inquire about recent rain. They have some shacks for shopping and I saw "Off" bug spray that was for the employees use (near the checkout/but not for sale) - so I know it wasn't just tourists that were bothered by them. A little friend we met that day, an 8 yr. old girl, got stung by a bee that she tried to swat away. Oh boy, she screamed and cried - luckily by the end of the day she was happy again!!

My husband, and SIL had the worst reactions later that night and following day - large welts, red hot at the sight. My 17 yr. old daughter had less of a reaction, but did have crazy itching. My 14 yr. old daughter and I also got bit and had itching but not like the others in our group. They really could have used an oral non-drowsy benadryl/antihistamine to help relieve their discomfort, but we didn't bring any and they didn't want to go down to ship medical. I did have a travel sized benadryl spray and hydrocortisone cream that we used, but it didn't give much relief. Back on the ship, our last sea day we made cold compresses out of washcloths dipped in ice bucket water and my SIL said that helped some, the rest of the time they just toughed it out.

As someone who practically packs everything but the kitchen sink, I was just upset with myself for forgetting "bug spray" and then we really needed it, so I will forewarn as many as I can so they don't have do go through the discomfort we experienced.

Thanks so much for the description and information. I'm one of those that packs everything but the kitchen sink too! :D I always pack bug spray, medicine like benadryl, tylenol, band-aides, wraps, antibiotics...you name it, I bring it. Basically a small medical kit I put together on my own. (This has been going on since I fell back in 2010 and broke my hand in St Martin and was pretty banged up and bleeding everywhere else. I'll never go on vacation again unprepared! Plus it doesn't help that I work in the emergency room and I'm also a student nurse, so I prepare for the worse).

My 5 year old is EXTREMELY allergic to bugs. It's like they are drawn to her. We may walk out of a place with 1 bite and she'll walk out covered in whelps. It doesn't take much for a break out with her.

This is her after about 5 minutes of arriving in Costa Maya at the port and right before we were able to apply off. The hubby and I got maybe 1 or 2 bites. Her entire body looked like this.

IMG_5465-S.jpg

We booked ours through Princess at the only time offered. There was an area we used that was only for those booked on our excursion with a different bar, lunch buffet, etc. No problem getting chairs tables or anything.

Did notice another excursion came in from another cruise line (think Carnival because of the beach towels ) and they were directed to a different area up the beach.

All I really know is we had a wonderful time on Passion Island! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Archived