PV - Getting from Cruise Terminal to Town Centre

Waringstown8

I'm hoping to call in Puerto Vallarta in November with NCL. Just wondering if any of the cruise ships put on shuttle buses into the town centre? If not, whats the best/safest way to get in on your own?

Thanks

Helen

We will lay-out all of your options (we live in PV 2 months a year). There are generally no shuttle buses so cross that off your list. But getting to the center of town (called Centro) is quite easy and inexpensive. You have 2 basic choices....either taxi or bus. Regarding taxis, you can take the taxis located in the port, but they usually charge more money then the Yellow Taxis that are all over the place outside the port. The taxis prefer payment in Pesos, but some will accept US Dollars at unfavorable exchange rates. Settle on the price (and type of currency) before you even get in a taxi (there is no need to tip although a few extra pesos would be appreciated). You can ask a taxi to drop you in "Centro" near the center of the Malecon (you can try asking them to drop you next to the Cheeky Monkey which is located near the middle of the Malecon (the seaside promenade). Or, have them drop you at McDonalds which is at the beginning the Malecon and then you can just stroll all the way to the other end, over the pedestrian bridge, and then explore the South Side Romantic Zone (Old Town or Viejo Vallarta). Taxis are pretty inexpensive and it should only cost about $6 (better to pay in Pesos) from outside the port (Yellow Taxis) to Centro. If you want to take a taxi to the South side or later return from the South side expect to pay about 20 Pesos ($2) more then to or from Centro. The rates are supposed to based on Zones (there are no meters) which is why you need to settle on the price before you get in a taxi (taxi drivers have been known to take advantage of naïve cruisers)

You other option, which we think is a lot more fun, is to simply take a local bus. The bus fare is 6.5 Pesos (they are trying to get an increase to 7.5 pesos) per person one-way. You pay the driver when you enter and they will make change. Although they prefer pesos, most drivers will accept a US dollar (they might want $1 per person which is a rip-off). The buses run along the road right outside the port (you will see people waiting for the buses near the gas station) and buses run darn near every minute. Look for any bus that has a sign (or has painted on their windshield) the word "Centro" and avoid any bus that says "Tunel). Once the bus gets into town it will make a left turn go a block and then turn right. At this point you are parallel to the North end of the Malecon. The bus then will run parallel to the Malecon (a block inland) all the way to the South Side and you can just hop off anywhere and walk down to the Malecon (towards the sea).

I should mention that if you get on a bus you will find a mix of both locals and "gringos" and everyone gets along like a big family. The locals are very used to gringos riding the busses (and vice versa) and most folks are friendly (and helpful) if you ask a question. Do not hesitate to ask another gringo about where you are..or where to get off the bus. The Mexicans may or may not speak English...but if they are English speaking they will also be helpful.

I posted this long winded response to help anyone who wants to understand all their options and the details. I would add that Puerto Vallarta is a very safe and friendly place and we have approximately 60,000 gringos (Americans and Canadians) that live in the area for part or most of the year. Being a large city you should always protect your valuables (just like anywhere) as there are a few pickpockets in the area. Another piece of good advice is to please not wear a lot of expensive jewelry. Most of us in PV tend to dress down (I am seldom out of shorts and a T-shire) and not up.

Hank

I agree with Hank.No shuttles but it is easy to get a cab or bus into old town.

On the way back take the blue white bus saying airport or Walmart. Walmart is opoosite the cruise terminal. Note the green bus with Walmart goes to a different Walmart.

You will find a lot of information and maps of the area around cruise terminal and also old town on this site, made by JR who lives in PV a long time. http://www.vallarta-info.com/outerlimits.html

Yep, agree with Ine. It is hard for some folks to believe, but PV is the world of 2 Walmart Superstores, a Sams and a beautiful new Costco. Sometimes we think that living in Mexico (part of the year) is more like American then many parts of America. After all, our nations capital currently has no Walmart Superstores (and is doing their best to prevent the ones under construction from ever opening), and no Sams. Go figure.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Hank how long is the bus ride from the port to El Centro? Where would you recommend getting off with a toddler? North and walk south, or start south and walk north? I'm hoping to get through as much as we can before she gets too fussy.

Paradise 2008

Miracle 2013

Hank how long is the bus ride from the port to El Centro? Where would you recommend getting off with a toddler? North and walk south, or start south and walk north? I'm hoping to get through as much as we can before she gets too fussy.

Paradise 2008

Miracle 2013

I'd start near the big church, walk down to the water, then south over the bridge to the island with crafts on it. If you walk up to the next street, there's a bus stop somewhere along it - take the airport or other north-going bus to the ship again.

Paradise 2008

Miracle 2013

The ride takes 15-20 min depending on traffic and how many stops the bus makes. It really does not matter where you get off once in Centro and its just personal preference. If you have a stroller it would be fine on the Malecon. Last year they started a program where they loaned strollers to be used on the Malecon, but I have no clue as to whether that program has survived the year.

There are a few places that sell ice cream along the Malecon (there is also a McDonalds) which might help with the child.

Hank

The ride takes 15-20 min depending on traffic and how many stops the bus makes. It really does not matter where you get off once in Centro and its just personal preference. If you have a stroller it would be fine on the Malecon. Last year they started a program where they loaned strollers to be used on the Malecon, but I have no clue as to whether that program has survived the year.

There are a few places that sell ice cream along the Malecon (there is also a McDonalds) which might help with the child.

Hank

Does the bus go into old town?

There is an paleteria (ice cream) shop right across the malecon from McDonalds, next to Restaurant El Malecon.

Does the bus go into old town?

There is an paleteria (ice cream) shop right across the malecon from McDonalds, next to Restaurant El Malecon.

Yes, the buses that say "Centro" will all go into the old town which is also known as the South Side, Zona Romantica, Romantic Zone or Viejo Vallarta. As you might imagine, folks on the internet (and in PV) are not doing anyone favors by not settling on a single name for the part of town just south of the Rio Cujale and near the sea. I guess I should mention the official name which is Colonia Emilia Zapata :)

At any rate, the bus will go through Centro (one block inland from the sea) and then pass through the center of town (you will actually see the sea and Malecon on your right) and continue a few more blocks before going over a bridge (crosses the tiny Rio Cujale) at which time you will be in what you called the Old Town. They then work their way around a few blocks and reverse their route back through Centro and out towards the port.

I will repeat that the key to catching a bus near the port/Marina is to simply take any bus that has "Centro" written somewhere (it might be on their windshield or on the side). There are other buses which will have a sign in their windshield that says "Tunel" and they should be avoided.

When catching a bus back to the port just look for any bus that has "Sam's" written somewhere on their windshield. You can no longer depend on the "Walmart" moniker since there are 2 Walmarts.....one of which is not near the port.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
this is great info! for those who live there... we are there on December 24 till 8 pm, I suspect that the buses will still be running till then? I imagine a few things will close early..... Thanks

Expect less buses and cabs during the evening/night of Dec. 24.

That is the night mexicans celebrate Christmas with their families.

Great post, Hank!

After 10 trips to Cabo (only ten days at a time), my bride and I have plane tickets to PV for May. We've only been to PV once (on a cruise) and thought that a change may be in order.

We're staying in old town, and we're both looking forward to a great time.

Great post, Hank!

After 10 trips to Cabo (only ten days at a time), my bride and I have plane tickets to PV for May. We've only been to PV once (on a cruise) and thought that a change may be in order.

We're staying in old town, and we're both looking forward to a great time.

There is actually a bunch of us PVlovers who love to go to PV in May.

You might want to go onto Trip Advisor Puerto Vallarta forum and inquire about condos, AI's (Mr QT loves them, I don't) and what is happening then. I have met some life long friends through TA and Cruise Critic forums.

May is a great time to go to PV :)