Summit Review 7/28-8/4 Bermuda

teacher_md

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give a quick review of our cruise to Bermuda last week. Home today and suffering from post-cruise depression. It's rough!

I usually aim to do a very thorough review, but this time I want to keep it short and sweet.

The Good - The Summit is a gorgeous ship. I don't think it looks worn or dated at all. I was on in 2009 and I think the updates perked it up. The atrium is the best I've experienced - beautiful! I loved hanging out at the Martini Bar - very trendy and good decor. Cafe Al Bacio was cozy and comfortable and a great place to hear some tunes. The adult pool area was very nice as well. We had late seating and really enjoyed our dining experience. The food at dinner was across the board really delicious. I have been on NCL, Princess, Carnival, Costa, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity a few times before and this dining service was my favorite of all. Kind of surprising when we know things have been cut back over the years. But from the steaks to the seasoning to the freshness of the salads... just top notch. Also, the service at dinner (Anna and Maria) was outstanding. The entertainment was also pretty good across the board. Some of the best were Michelle Balin (comedy), Jason Bishop (magician), the aerial performers, Jordan Peterson (piano bar) and the Above 54 guy from the Jersey Boys. We had an inside stateroom to save on the funds this time around and it actually wasn't bad at all. Not sure how they managed it, but we were actually pretty comfortable compared to some other inside cabins we have stayed in the past which seemed claustrophobic and dark. Room steward, Sandrick, was great. I have to say the staff across the board was really friendly and aimed to please.

The Just OK: The production shows were hit or miss... a little more on the miss. The first 2 shows constantly switched songs and just seemed all over the place. One of the singers was excellent (dark-haired woman) and the dancers were alright. The buffet was just a chore to go to. I don't like how it's organized. Seems like you have to get on line after line to complete a meal. NCL and Royal Caribbean have their buffets organized much better. Food wasn't bad or especially good at the buffet. I just never looked forward to have to go there for breakfast. Much better experience going to the main dining room for breakfast. I should note that the grill area by the pool was good and the pizza wasn't bad either. Drink prices are HIGH but they are strong, delicious and the bar staff is exceptional. Don't expect a deal though ;)

The Not-so-good: We had 5 shirts pressed at the beginning of the week. 4 out of the 5 shirts had a button smashed on each shirt. They did remove the charge and sewed them back on, but it was an inconvenience. The photography crew skipped over us twice during the formal nights. We are a gay couple and this is the 2nd time this has happened on a Celebrity cruise. Just doesn't feel good when everyone is getting their photos taken and then they just skip over you. I am not accusing anyone of anything, just pointing out that it sucked. Spoke to the Maitre'D about it and he said he would take care of it. Never heard about the issue again nor did we get an apology. Now this part is a little tough to talk about, but I figure it has to be added to our review, because it is relevant. We found the passengers to be very friendly but we prefer a crowd that is a little more outgoing and interested in mingling. Seemed like there were a lot of families or groups that were doing their own thing, which is totally fine, but we have been on other cruises where we have met a lot of people and made good friends. We just prefer a more lively vibe where people let loose a little more. Celebrity is a little more buttoned-up. I think every cruise line has their own vibe and we don't match up exactly with the Celebrity vibe. That being said, the food, service AND the public areas on Celebrity are THE BEST.

Bermuda - Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Make sure when you book a cruise to Bermuda that you avoid the Cup Match holiday - the first Thursday and Friday of August - because everything outside of the dockyard is closed. Also, beaches are RIDICULOUSLY crowded because the locals are partying on the beach along with the tourists. Have a cab driver give you an island tour while you are there. The rates are $40 per hour for up to four people and then $55 per hour for 5 to 6 people. You will get a much more personalized tour and the people of Bermuda are the nicest you will find anywhere!!! We did an island tour for 6 hours and saw most of the highlights. Then on the second day we went to Horseshoe Bay - spectacular (but crowded due to Cup Match Holiday - last year I was there on a non-holiday and it wasn't crowded at all). On the final day we walked around the Dockyard and did some shopping where the ship is stationed.

Overall - We really enjoyed our cruise and feel that Celebrity does a great job! Feel free to ask any questions or if you need me to clarify something, let me know. Thanks for reading!

- AJ

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give a quick review of our cruise to Bermuda last week. Home today and suffering from post-cruise depression. It's rough!

I usually aim to do a very thorough review, but this time I want to keep it short and sweet.

The Good - The Summit is a gorgeous ship. I don't think it looks worn or dated at all. I was on in 2009 and I think the updates perked it up. The atrium is the best I've experienced - beautiful! I loved hanging out at the Martini Bar - very trendy and good decor. Cafe Al Bacio was cozy and comfortable and a great place to hear some tunes. The adult pool area was very nice as well. We had late seating and really enjoyed our dining experience. The food at dinner was across the board really delicious. I have been on NCL, Princess, Carnival, Costa, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity a few times before and this dining service was my favorite of all. Kind of surprising when we know things have been cut back over the years. But from the steaks to the seasoning to the freshness of the salads... just top notch. Also, the service at dinner (Anna and Maria) was outstanding. The entertainment was also pretty good across the board. Some of the best were Michelle Balin (comedy), Jason Bishop (magician), the aerial performers, Jordan Peterson (piano bar) and the Above 54 guy from the Jersey Boys. We had an inside stateroom to save on the funds this time around and it actually wasn't bad at all. Not sure how they managed it, but we were actually pretty comfortable compared to some other inside cabins we have stayed in the past which seemed claustrophobic and dark. Room steward, Sandrick, was great. I have to say the staff across the board was really friendly and aimed to please.

The Just OK: The production shows were hit or miss... a little more on the miss. The first 2 shows constantly switched songs and just seemed all over the place. One of the singers was excellent (dark-haired woman) and the dancers were alright. The buffet was just a chore to go to. I don't like how it's organized. Seems like you have to get on line after line to complete a meal. NCL and Royal Caribbean have their buffets organized much better. Food wasn't bad or especially good at the buffet. I just never looked forward to have to go there for breakfast. Much better experience going to the main dining room for breakfast. I should note that the grill area by the pool was good and the pizza wasn't bad either. Drink prices are HIGH but they are strong, delicious and the bar staff is exceptional. Don't expect a deal though ;)

The Not-so-good: We had 5 shirts pressed at the beginning of the week. 4 out of the 5 shirts had a button smashed on each shirt. They did remove the charge and sewed them back on, but it was an inconvenience. The photography crew skipped over us twice during the formal nights. We are a gay couple and this is the 2nd time this has happened on a Celebrity cruise. Just doesn't feel good when everyone is getting their photos taken and then they just skip over you. I am not accusing anyone of anything, just pointing out that it sucked. Spoke to the Maitre'D about it and he said he would take care of it. Never heard about the issue again nor did we get an apology. Now this part is a little tough to talk about, but I figure it has to be added to our review, because it is relevant. We found the passengers to be very friendly but we prefer a crowd that is a little more outgoing and interested in mingling. Seemed like there were a lot of families or groups that were doing their own thing, which is totally fine, but we have been on other cruises where we have met a lot of people and made good friends. We just prefer a more lively vibe where people let loose a little more. Celebrity is a little more buttoned-up. I think every cruise line has their own vibe and we don't match up exactly with the Celebrity vibe. That being said, the food, service AND the public areas on Celebrity are THE BEST.

Bermuda - Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Make sure when you book a cruise to Bermuda that you avoid the Cup Match holiday - the first Thursday and Friday of August - because everything outside of the dockyard is closed. Also, beaches are RIDICULOUSLY crowded because the locals are partying on the beach along with the tourists. Have a cab driver give you an island tour while you are there. The rates are $40 per hour for up to four people and then $55 per hour for 5 to 6 people. You will get a much more personalized tour and the people of Bermuda are the nicest you will find anywhere!!! We did an island tour for 6 hours and saw most of the highlights. Then on the second day we went to Horseshoe Bay - spectacular (but crowded due to Cup Match Holiday - last year I was there on a non-holiday and it wasn't crowded at all). On the final day we walked around the Dockyard and did some shopping where the ship is stationed.

Overall - We really enjoyed our cruise and feel that Celebrity does a great job! Feel free to ask any questions or if you need me to clarify something, let me know. Thanks for reading!

- AJ

Thanks for the review! You know, over and over and over again in these threads, cruisers have the same complaint about the buffets on the Celebrity ships. It's not so much about what they offer but how they are laid out with line after line. You would think Celebrity would do something because I've only read negative remarks about it.

I'll be on the Summit Oct. 26 with some other gay friends. If the photographer passes us over I'll know it's a trend. I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

I too was on this cruise and mostly echo your sentiments. It was a great week, and although the weather wasn't the best for the sea days, it was perfect in Bermuda.

My additional comments would be concerning the altercation that happened at the late seating the second night. We were close by and were very concerned with how long it took security to arrive and then to handle the situation. Clearly it wasn't a situation encountered often (I've never seen a fight in the MDR before!), but I think it should have been settled better and certainly more quickly. Allowing the parties to return was a bad move.

We also saw at least one other instance of out-of-control guest behavior on the pool deck as well as a couple going a little too far on the dance floor in the disco. I blame it on the promotional beverage packages encouraging over-consumption. ;) It's like New Year's Eve when all the amateur drunks are out.

Still, I had a wonderful time and am looking forward to doing it all over again next week!

This was my first experience with the beverage package, and I think I'm now hooked. I'm furiously doing the math to decide if I should purchase for our family cruise next week (where my beverage consumption will be significantly down from my girlfriend cruise last week), but the convenience of it was so worth perhaps not drinking my money's worth each day. Leaving the choice of the wine up to the sommelier and trying some new ones was a great experience each night in the dining room. And I never, ever had to drink that awful coffee they serve!

Last week, I also never ate a meal in the buffet. I did pop-in for the afternoon tea sandwiches and/or sushi, but we used the MDR, Spa Cafe or Cafe Al Bacio for most other meals.

We didn't see the production shows, but did attend 54 Below, the illusionist and the comedian's adult performance.

It was my first cruise at CC Select level. I didn't attend any of the events, preferring to wait for my husband to be with me rather than going alone. I'm hoping to be able to take my daughter with me for the backstage tour next week.

We didn't try to see everything or do everything because I knew I'd be back on board next week with my husband and kids. It certainly led to a more relaxed experience.

Thank you for your review. My partner and I will be on the Summit on the October 5th sailing for my 60th birthday. I am sorry and very disappointed to hear about your treatment by the photography staff. It is interesteing to us, as we always get approached by the photographers and always have to politely refuse as we do not want them to take pictures as I am a photo bug myself and talk pleanty, (much cheaper than their charges). Again, I am sorry to hear how you were treated. Will see what happens on our sailing. We will be in the Penthouse for this occasion, so are really looking forward to the cruise. Again, AJ, thanks for your post

- AJ

I feel bad about the formal night pictures, but I think it is probably a product of the photographers being afraid to make a mistake, and be yelled at. I deal with some awkwardness when I travel on formal nights because I am a single female..... a lot of times they start to make the "scoot over motions" to me and they are pushing me into my best friend's husband, or my uncle......ICKY!!!

I think they have probably done that scoot over thing to straight male brothers or cousins, who might have "freaked out" and have been told not to pose the men together unless they give some indication.....

If I were you, I might start scooting over and posing before they leave the table, and if they turn to walk away, just call out to them......

There are many gay crew members on Celebrity ships, and I would imagine in an artistic department like photography they would have more gay staff, so I really doubt it is outright homophobia....i just think it is an awkwardness........

I'm glad you and your partner had a great time:)

also, I find it harder to bond with other passengers during school breaks, especially Christmas. It seems the "family dynamic" makes it harder for parents to break away from kids and oftern they are traveling in large groups of extended family and friends, you might be a teacher from your screen name, so maybe that is the only time you can travel, but I find off season better for adult relaxation.

My additional comments would be concerning the altercation that happened at the late seating the second night. We were close by and were very concerned with how long it took security to arrive and then to handle the situation. Clearly it wasn't a situation encountered often (I've never seen a fight in the MDR before!), but I think it should have been settled better and certainly more quickly. Allowing the parties to return was a bad move.

WOW I have also never witnessed a fight in the MDR or anywhere else on a Celebrity ship. Does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling that Celebrity let them return to the MDR.

Last week, I also never ate a meal in the buffet. I did pop-in for the afternoon tea sandwiches and/or sushi, but we used the MDR, Spa Cafe or Cafe Al Bacio for most other meals.

When you went Spa Cafe, were they grilling made to order salmon, tuna and chicken?

Thanks for your review. I just returned home from Summit yesterday.

This is too weird.......I did not see this happen but heard from 2 other

people there was a fight on our sailing as well and someone was

evicted from the ship:eek:....

I had a great time and loved the Comedian as well:D....Michele

was fantastic!:)

AJ.....one thing......I think Bermuda has a totally different vibe

than most of Celebrity's other itineraries.......I just returned home

and this cruise was definitely different than my other cruises (that is

over 30 of them). There were many, many more families and

being the ship sails from Bayonne, folks from the Tri-state area

are the majority of the passengers....although the Martini Bar was

extremely friendly:D......I do think many of the passengers were

more "groups of families" than other sailings.

Archived