Need I take bug spray to Alaska?

turning46

Glad to see this thread....I am a bug magnet, if there is one mosquito in a 5 mike radius it will bite me! I will certainly bet Off Wipes. Should I also plan to but spray when we are in Alaska? We are renting a car and already planning a quick stop to buy light supplies: water, snacks etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it true that you cannot take a canister of DEET on the plane (even in checked luggage?) and can only take the pump form? The pump stuff we have is not 100% DEET, but the canister is. P.S. We are going to Denali in July, so this is where we expect to need it.

We took ours in our checked luggage and had no problem. We were in Denali June 22 & 23, 2013.

Glad to see this thread....I am a bug magnet, if there is one mosquito in a 5 mike radius it will bite me! I will certainly bet Off Wipes. Should I also plan to but spray when we are in Alaska? We are renting a car and already planning a quick stop to buy light supplies: water, snacks etc.

I saw a few people using Off Wipes and they didn't seem to do any good. We took 100% DEET and had no problems. We sprayed it on all exposed skin (well just into our hands to put on our faces) and our clothes.

We spent several days at the place at the end of the road in Denali. We used Deet, Permethrin, and we also wore our nets that we bought for our Australia trip. I agree that you should take every bit of bug fighting stuff that you own. You may not need all the stuff but it can't hurt. Just remember that mosquitoes in Alaska have been known to carry off small children.

We are doing an Amazon cruise in a few weeks. We may look stupid with our bug nets but it beats getting bit and maybe getting malaria.

DON

How were the bugs in Anan?

I am jealous of your Australia and Amazon trips! I am quite sure you have researched your trips. Do you have to get additional shots/prophylaxis to prevents anything like Malaria? (Not asking for medical advice, just curious)

How were the bugs in Anan?

I am jealous of your Australia and Amazon trips! I am quite sure you have researched your trips. Do you have to get additional shots/prophylaxis to prevents anything like Malaria? (Not asking for medical advice, just curious)

Bugs in Anan were not a problem. This was good as you are not allowed to put anything on your skin at Anan. This means no bug spray.

I should also add that when I visited Fairbanks in March, there were no mosquitos there - LOL!!

Re the Amazon, we are doing it in a week. We did all the shots that anyone suggested for the trip. We have gotten our malaria pills but considering the possible side effects, if I have any reactions I plan to stop taking them. We will be taking our DEET, our Permethrin treated clothing and our mosquito net. You do need to know that my wife is a mosquito magnet. Every mosquito within a 10 miles radius of her flies to her side to bite her.

The deal with Australia is that the little things swarm you not to bite you but to get moisture. When they are bad, they go into your mouth, your nose, and anywhere else that they can get moisture. No bites however, thank God.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Bugs in Anan were not a problem. This was good as you are not allowed to put anything on your skin at Anan. This means no bug spray.

I should also add that when I visited Fairbanks in March, there were no mosquitos there - LOL!!

Re the Amazon, we are doing it in a week. We did all the shots that anyone suggested for the trip. We have gotten our malaria pills but considering the possible side effects, if I have any reactions I plan to stop taking them. We will be taking our DEET, our Permethrin treated clothing and our mosquito net. You do need to know that my wife is a mosquito magnet. Every mosquito within a 10 miles radius of her flies to her side to bite her.

The deal with Australia is that the little things swarm you not to bite you but to get moisture. When they are bad, they go into your mouth, your nose, and anywhere else that they can get moisture. No bites however, thank God.

DON

Thanks for the Anan info. I didn't know that you can't apply anything while, but makes sense.....likely we will just need bug spray while Ziplining in Skagway and maybe at our cabin in a Seward. I will probably buy in Alaska.

Have a great time in the Amazon! I can sympathize with your wife, I too am Bug magnet.

I worked with someone who got Malaria. She had lived in the USA for several years, but went back to Nigeria for her sister's wedding. She was lucky that a resident in the hospital where she worked midnight shift caught the symptoms right away. She was pretty sick for about a week, but recovered quickly.