7/28 Summit mini-review/thoughts

queenschick9b

I have never done a full review, and I'm not sure my thoughts are that interesting, but I just wanted to put in some of the things that I really enjoyed about my first cruise with Celebrity and some of my minor issues. In general though, I loved the experience.

1. Cape Liberty was super easy. It was one of my parents biggest concerns and it was so easy from dropping off the luggage to checking in. Very, very smooth. (The 2nd concern was sea sickness because we usually leave from PR or Miami/FL so we were nervous about that, but only the last day at sea was rough)

2. I loved the Solarium and so grateful to the posters that told me about it before I left. We sat there every sea day and since it rained a lot, it was an excellent location. I did see some really bad chair hogging from one couple, but for the most part the pool butlers were great. They were also very good about keeping the area adults only in a non-confrontational way.

3. I liked not having to check out towels every day, but I felt bad for the staff because it seemed like the not having to check them back in made passengers feel like it was okay to just leave them everywhere when there are a ton of receptacles for them.

4. I really enjoyed the bars - the Martini Bar, Michaels, the Sunset Bar, all really great. I loved the view from Revelations.

5. People told me 3 in a balcony room would be tight, but it was tighter than my room on the Allure, which at least had a full couch. I slept on the pull-out and it was fine, but I am a little under 5 feet and I think anything over that might be pushing it. Our room steward was great - Connie and in general the service on the ship was above what I have experienced on the other lines I've sailed with (RCCL, NCL, CCL). I loved the really conditioner in the bathroom instead of that 2 for 1 conditioning shampoo.

6. I didn't notice any signs of aging. I don't think I would have noticed the soft spots except for reading it here. I also did sit on the pool deck some times (for 30 minutes one day to try to get some color so people could at least tell I went away somewhere fun :)) and I didn't the loungers were that bad.

7. There was a really good variety of ages aboard. I am in my mid-30s and there were other people my age, younger, and older. Lots of families with lots of really well behaved kids. I rarely saw the whole sitting on the stairs blocking them thing I've seen on a lot of my past cruises.

8. I didn't think the food was anything better than RCCL. Maybe I am just bitter because of the escargot situation :) but everything to me was typical mass-market cruise line food. It was good, but I think I was expecting something "more". But I thought the service in the dining room and the buffet areas was much better than RCCL. Our waiter found us twice in the buffet when we didn't even see him and came over to say hi and check that everything was good. He was really great (Tyrone), one of the best waiters I have had in 12 cruises.

We did go to the Normandie and Qsine. The one thing I read here that I didn't do was wait to make my specialty reservations on-board. Instead I paid in advance and realized easily that I could have gotten discounts. It was my treat to my parents, so I didn't really mind, but next time I would do that differently.We really enjoyed Qsine - I can see how some people might not love it, but we thought it was just a lot of fun with a nice atmosphere.

9. Probably goes on the Port of Call Boards, but I didn't like my excursion - we did the Devil's Isle snorkel. It is probably my own fault for not doing more research but we only booked it because our trip was during a national holiday so a lot of stuff was closed and the beaches were supposed to be jammed. It docked very far from the reefs in this tall grass area. I saw a few fish, but nothing great and they say you can go to the beach, but it wasn't much of a beach.

The positive of it was that because it is in a nice shallow and is such a large boat you can basically walk right off it, which was great from my mom who had knee replacements and can't go off the boat if it is just a ladder. We actually picked this one because it said in the description that you can stay on the boat while others were snorkeling for her so it was nice that she was able to enjoy the water as well. If I had any type of coordination, I would have loved to rent a moped.

I hope I didn't bore you all and in summation - I would definitely cruise from Port Liberty again, cruise with Celebrity again and go back to Bermuda. It was an excellent vacation. The only thing I would really change is the weather is there is no way to control that and we really tried not to let that spoil our nice time

I thought of one more inconsequential thing. This ship had the worst tv station situation of any ship I have been on. Even the few channels were supposed to have ESPN, TNT intl, CNN intl, seemed to never come in.

The channel that usually shows the map of where the ship is and the current weather didn't even work. I don't know if was the storms messing with the satellite, but I thought it was interesting.

I usually put it on as I am getting ready in the a.m. and in the p.m. before dinner because I like to watch the news to see what is happening. It would not stop me from cruising with them, but I would have loaded more movies onto my tablet.

I was on the same cruise and I agree with your comments. However I felt this cruise had more children than any other Celebrity cruise I have been on (14 cruises so far). I am not sure if this was due to the time of year, the itinerary or Celebrity trying to be more 'family friendly'.

I agree about the TV station.....it was really bad. I loved the ship, food,Bermuda. There were a lot of kids but they were no problems that I could see. We didn't even attempt to get near the pool...........much too crowded for that size ship.

The specialty shows were really good. One thing I noticed while sitting down for the shows is the lack of courtesy. We had an end seat and I was amazed that no one says "excuse me" while climbing all over us to get to their seats.One very large man almost fell on my lap and never said a word.

I loved the Martini bar but we didn't care for the music played........but then maybe I am just getting old.

It was a wonderful trip :)

I am not sure if this was due to the time of year, the itinerary or Celebrity trying to be more 'family friendly'.
My sister is currently on Summit with her family, including 1 year old granddaughter. They chose Celebrity over NCL because they apparently had childcare available for younger kids. So it could be that Celebrity is trying to attract more kids (especially young).

I was supposed to be on the same cruise (purely by chance) but got a great deal on a Baltic cruise while I was waiting for the Bermuda prices to drop.

I have a question about Michael's Club - in the past this has sometimes been used for the Elite Cocktail hours, thus closing it to the rest of us from 5 -7. Does anyone happen to know if Michael's Club was used for the Elite Cocktail party on recent Bermuda Summit cruises.

DH will be disappointed if he has to wait till 7 to get in there :)

I have a question about Michael's Club - in the past this has sometimes been used for the Elite Cocktail hours, thus closing it to the rest of us from 5 -7. Does anyone happen to know if Michael's Club was used for the Elite Cocktail party on recent Bermuda Summit cruises.

DH will be disappointed if he has to wait till 7 to get in there :)

On our sailing in July the Elite Cocktail hour was in Reflections. Apparently the week before it was in Michael's. Seems to depend on the number of elite cruisers. Although not many went to the cocktail hour because of the 1,2,3 Beverage promotion.

Your review is terrific, very well written and conceived. You should definitely also put it in the official review section, not just here in the forum section, where lots more people will benefit from your insights! It's great, thanks!

Were there no escargot on your sailing? We were on the Summit the week before and they were on the everyday menu.

They were on the everyday menu the first night. The second night, they were on some of the menus at our tables, but not others. By the third night, they were gone for the rest of the cruise. No one at our table ate them, so we didn't ask.

Nice review!

Were there no escargot on your sailing? We were on the Summit the week before and they were on the everyday menu.

We dined in Blu but I saw them on the MDR menu so I asked for them. I was told there were none......they are hard to get this season.

I didn't know escargot was seasonal!!!last cruise I always ordered double

We dined in Blu but I saw them on the MDR menu so I asked for them. I was told there were none......they are hard to get this season.

I didn't know escargot was seasonal!!!last cruise I always ordered double

What?? Noooo they JUST got them back and now they are gone already?? DH is going to be so disappointed.

Archived