Ft. Lauderdale Independence debarkation question

I am looking at a cruise for next march on the Independence out of Fort Lauderdale. New ship to me, new port, new airport too. My flight home leaves at 11am so I have to be at the airport no later than 9:30am.

Does this sound like it will be a problem? Will I be able to get off the ship early enough and how far is the airport? I assume i can book some sort of shuttle service with RCCL?

I have never been one to jump ship with the early birds because I have never had to rush for a flight. I just want to know it is a stress free situation before I book everything. Thanks :)

I am looking at a cruise for next march on the Independence out of Fort Lauderdale. New ship to me, new port, new airport too. My flight home leaves at 11am so I have to be at the airport no later than 9:30am.

Does this sound like it will be a problem? Will I be able to get off the ship early enough and how far is the airport? I assume i can book some sort of shuttle service with RCCL?

I have never been one to jump ship with the early birds because I have never had to rush for a flight. I just want to know it is a stress free situation before I book everything. Thanks :)

I think you should be OK if you are using the Ft. Lauderdale airport (FLL). Just arrange for self-disembarkation and you should be at the airport before 9am.

Our personal experiences debarking in Port Everglades is that getting to the FLL airport by 9:30AM is certainly do-able, if there are no debarkation delays (ship arrives late, CBP inspection, etc.). I would suggest you use self assist though and get off as early as possible, just to be safe (your desire for it to be stress free). A taxi is probably the best transport from the port to FLL - I don't know about RCI's transfer situation but they may not get you to the airport when you want.

Last January on the Indy, my sister had a 8:30 flight, so she did the self-disembark at 6:15, went thru customs with no lines, and was at the airport at 6:45 after a 10 minute cab ride, and was checked in for her flight at 7:00 and still had to wait for an hour and a half till she left on her flight, so it can be done, but you are taking a chance that there are no glitches with customs or getting off the ship.:D

Keith

ah yes see I forgot about the "self assist" option. That is where you do not put out your bags the night before and handle them all yourself right? I believe I have done that one other time when I arrived in Seattle and did not have much baggage. I won't have much on this trip either.

ah yes see I forgot about the "self assist" option. That is where you do not put out your bags the night before and handle them all yourself right? I believe I have done that one other time when I arrived in Seattle and did not have much baggage. I won't have much on this trip either.

Correct... it assumes you don't have a lot of luggage to "lug" around and it sounds like you're already set in that regard.

Last January on the Indy, my sister had a 8:30 flight, so she did the self-disembark at 6:15, went thru customs with no lines, and was at the airport at 6:45 after a 10 minute cab ride, and was checked in for her flight at 7:00 and still had to wait for an hour and a half till she left on her flight, so it can be done, but you are taking a chance that there are no glitches with customs or getting off the ship.:D

Keith

Sounds like she got off nice and easy! If it is possible to get off that early, I think I would opt to leave the ship early than I need to just to have time to deal with hiccups. Leaving the ship at 7:30-8 instead of 9 for example. Thanks!

10 minute cab ride is awesome. Had no idea it was so close, great!

I am also planning on buying travel insurance for this trip (I usually don't)and hoping for all the best but knowing that "stuff happens" which makes life an adventure :)

I was also on Indy in January and it was VERY quick. We were called at 9:30 and were at the airport by 10 (although our flight wasn't until 2, and then it was delayed til 4, but that's another story!). I would definitely play it safe and take your own bags, though, just in case anything is amiss.

Archived