Question for those who have sailed on Divina

TravelRocker

Hi, I need some information from those of you who have sailed on the Divina. I'm going on a "theme cruise" next year and requested a large balcony cabin. Over the weekend we received our cabin and was assigned 8210. Now....from looking at the deck plans it's the deck above the lifeboats and along what I would call a "carve out" or set-back area of the side of the ship, (does that make sense???) Would you say this is a good choice or should I change for something a few decks higher? If I stick with this would I be looking down on the lifeboat instead of out into the ocean??? Thanks for any and all help, Cheers.

Edited by TravelRocker

Hi, I need some information from those of you who have sailed on the Divina. I'm going on a "theme cruise" next year and requested a large balcony cabin. Over the weekend we received our cabin and was assigned 8210. Now....from looking at the deck plans it's the deck above the lifeboats and along what I would call a "carve out" or set-back area of the side of the ship, (does that make sense???) Would you say this is a good choice or should I change for something a few decks higher? If I stick with this would I be looking down on the lifeboat instead of out into the ocean??? Thanks for any and all help, Cheers.

Looking at the deck plan you have a cat. 7 cabin which is not a "large " balcony but the standard size of about 180 sq. ft.

The main problem is the "wall"on the left-hand side of the balcony which will limit you (not restrict as in the cruising sense of RESTRICTED VIEW ,) to a 90 degree field of view as well as look down on a lifeboat.

If I were you i'd move up a couple of decks and away from a "wall", but beware going too high as deck 14 casts a massive shadow over deck 13 and 12 and too a lesser extent deck 11 cabins that are set back or as you say in a "carve out". See what I mean by looking at this thread:-

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38871142#

Pete

For a bigger balcony room you need cat#9 and above. Thats Giunone deck and higher which will be 191 sq ft + plus your balcony.

Wow, thanks both of you, seems like I am going to be calling the tour people tomorrow and get a cabin change! Not only is 8210 in the dark alcove but right over the lifeboat! Yuck, and my friend is all jazzed about being on Deck 13 but she doesn't know about the Deck 14 overhang! Better do it now! Thanks again.

Wow, thanks both of you, seems like I am going to be calling the tour people tomorrow and get a cabin change! Not only is 8210 in the dark alcove but right over the lifeboat! Yuck, and my friend is all jazzed about being on Deck 13 but she doesn't know about the Deck 14 overhang! Better do it now! Thanks again.

The deck 14 overhang doesn't affect the front and back "humps" on Divina only the "carve in" (set back) and "centre hump" cabins, so your friend may be all right if they are at the front or back of deck 13!!

Get them to check the deck plan carefully

You can see the shadow and the areas affected on this image from the MSC web site

divina.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Pete, you were such a huge help. I was able to move up to Deck 12, Cabin # 12165, our cruise is almost sold out of all the good ones! Last year we sold out the whole ship for our theme cruise. What can you tell me about # 12165??? Thanks

Hi! I'm new to the forums and cruises in general. I thought I would add to this recent thread versus creating a new one with a similar question.

I too am travelling on the Divina next year and currently am booked in room 13170. This room seems to protrude out a bit more than the others based on the deck plan

https://www.icruise.com/c/deckplan-popup.php?SailDate=&ShipID=807328&DeckNumber=13#dp

Can anyone confirm that this room is also shaded from the deck 14 over hang and if it's worth moving towards a lower floor (i.e. 12 or 11) to get more sun?

Many thanks for your help!

Regards

-K

Pete, you were such a huge help. I was able to move up to Deck 12, Cabin # 12165, our cruise is almost sold out of all the good ones! Last year we sold out the whole ship for our theme cruise. What can you tell me about # 12165??? Thanks

Cabin 12165 is nicely positioned on the ship and will posibly have a small amount of shade from the overhang if the sun is very high in the sky, you can see that the shadow is really only affecting deck 13 above your cabin. It has the benefit of only really having one balcony next to it so in that sense is a bit more private.

It is also very convenient for the lifts that go straight down to the MDRs and the Atrium/reception area see the deck plan image below.

12165.jpg

I too am travelling on the Divina next year and currently am booked in room 13170. This room seems to protrude out a bit more than the others based on the deck plan

https://www.icruise.com/c/deckplan-p...ckNumber=13#dp

Can anyone confirm that this room is also shaded from the deck 14 over hang and if it's worth moving towards a lower floor (i.e. 12 or 11) to get more sun?

Cabin 13170 is slightly shaded by the overhang from deck 14 if you really want the sun then a move down a deck or two would be better provided it is on one of the three humps and if it is on the front hump make sure it has a glass balcony not a metal one

9162a.jpg

divinaovererhang.jpg

My Cabin is 9162 - can someone show me on above pic where abouts that is? I hope it isn't in the shade :(

You have no worries at all about the shade from the overhang you just look down on a lifeboat but that's no real big deal. It would be if you were on deck 8.

Hope this helps everybody.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hello - I am also looking at some cabins for the same themed cruise. I have done a lot of research so I hope I got this right. I am looking at starboard 10144, 10146 and 10152. These are Cat 9 cabins and from what I can tell, this section is not recessed like other parts of the ship. The only thing I am concerned about is the proximity to the lift, which is handy, but what about noise, particularly late at night or in the morning?

Hello - I am also looking at some cabins for the same themed cruise. I have done a lot of research so I hope I got this right. I am looking at starboard 10144, 10146 and 10152. These are Cat 9 cabins and from what I can tell, this section is not recessed like other parts of the ship. The only thing I am concerned about is the proximity to the lift, which is handy, but what about noise, particularly late at night or in the morning?

You are partly right about being LESS recessed than other parts of the ship, but if you look at the deck plan , deck 13, you will see a partial overhang from deck 14, which should not affect deck 10. To be totally sure of not having any overhang you have to be on the front or rear "hump" but here on deck 10 you run the risk of the terrible "METAL" balconies which affect 10028/9 forward.

AS for noise you can be lucky and get NO noise, or be very unlucky and get a lot of noise, but some noise is almost inevitable given the proximity of the central bank of lifts, but as you rightly point out they are handy and Divina is a very very,long ship, exactly one fifth of a mile, so pity the Yacht Club members who have to walk nearly half a mile (0.4ml) to dinner and return to their cabin,

So on balance you have a good selection. and remember the rowdies could be in any cabin anywhere, just pray they are not next to you.

Pete

PS the very best Cat. 9 cabins are on the very stern of the ship with large balconies and are much sought after

Edited by Skier52

Hi missparker, are you going on the Monsters of Rock 2014 cruise??? You were concerned about noise near the lifts. People tend to congregate near the lifts on the lounge or pools decks for instance but I did not find them doing this so much on the cabin decks, at least we had no problem with it. Did you go on MOR last year? These ships are huge, Divina even longer than last years Poesia and our cabin was near the front and it took forever to get to the back for the stage and buffet. Forever! This time I am central near the mid-ship lifts and could not be happier. And actually I found that we were so exhausted at the end of the day that sleeping was when the head-hit-the-pillow! You won't sit down much if you want to see all the bands on your list. Most theme cruises are like this...

By the way, if it is MOR 14 your going on we have a Roll Call started below, come and join us...Cheers! (if it's not ours you can find yours there too.)

Edited by TravelRocker

Cabin 12165 is nicely positioned on the ship and will posibly have a small amount of shade from the overhang if the sun is very high in the sky, you can see that the shadow is really only affecting deck 13 above your cabin. It has the benefit of only really having one balcony next to it so in that sense is a bit more private.

It is also very convenient for the lifts that go straight down to the MDRs and the Atrium/reception area see the deck plan image below.

12165.jpg

Cabin 13170 is slightly shaded by the overhang from deck 14 if you really want the sun then a move down a deck or two would be better provided it is on one of the three humps and if it is on the front hump make sure it has a glass balcony not a metal one

9162a.jpg

divinaovererhang.jpg

You have no worries at all about the shade from the overhang you just look down on a lifeboat but that's no real big deal. It would be if you were on deck 8.

Hope this helps everybody.

Pete

Oh, phooey, we are in 13150 -- should we move??? Looks like that is an impacted cabin... Getting leery about this whole booking.

It's me again! I have been waffling a bit about cabin choice.

Some new Cat 6 balcony cabins have become available and compared to the price of the Cat 9 cabins I mentioned above, there is a $200 price difference.

May not seem like a lot of money, but when I think about it, that could go to something else, like drinks or excursions. etc.

So the million dollar question is - is the balcony on Cat 6 really that much smaller than the Cat 9? If you look at Divina's site, the balcony size provided is the exact same. What gives? Am I going to regret Cat 6?

The Cat 6 cabin I am looking at is 10176 or 10174 versus Cat 9 - 10148.

Hi missparker, are you going on the Monsters of Rock 2014 cruise??? You were concerned about noise near the lifts. People tend to congregate near the lifts on the lounge or pools decks for instance but I did not find them doing this so much on the cabin decks, at least we had no problem with it. Did you go on MOR last year? These ships are huge, Divina even longer than last years Poesia and our cabin was near the front and it took forever to get to the back for the stage and buffet. Forever! This time I am central near the mid-ship lifts and could not be happier. And actually I found that we were so exhausted at the end of the day that sleeping was when the head-hit-the-pillow! You won't sit down much if you want to see all the bands on your list. Most theme cruises are like this...

By the way, if it is MOR 14 your going on we have a Roll Call started below, come and join us...Cheers! (if it's not ours you can find yours there too.)

Hi - it's actually the Jam Cruise! I have friends who have booked before, but this will be my first one. I am really excited about it, given the bands that are on board!

Have fun on MOR!!

Hi, well, I can offer you this advice.....if the Jam Cruise is as crazy as MOR you won't spend that much time in your cabin at all. It was GO, GO, GO from morning till night and then some. If you can save some bucks on your cabin I would do it. Some of our group that went last year are booking inside cabins next year bcause it didn't make any difference. They weren't in it that much! Too much fun with the bands and all the other activities going on outside! Have a great time! Cheers!

Oh, phooey, we are in 13150 -- should we move??? Looks like that is an impacted cabin... Getting leery about this whole booking.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I've been away in Erance for the last two weeks.

If it were me i wouild not be happy with even the amount of overhang this cabin suffers from and would seek to move. down one deck staight below would be OK or any cabin on deck 10 or below, if, the sunshine is really important to you. but beware any of the recessed corners or nearby cabins.

pete

We're in 13108 and not at all worried. It all depends on how much you plan on sitting on your balcony to enjoy the sun. For us, not much. We'll find a deck for that. We just enjoy our balcony for a quiet drink and to enjoy the view on port days, an overhang doesn't affect that really.

If however you plan on using your balcony for sunbathing, you may want to reconsider.

• 10 months later...
Pete, once again you are the greatest, I think we picked a good one, Cheers!

TravelRocker, now that you have cruised on the Divina, can you give any details about the Cabin you were in on the Divina? Thank you so much in advance.