Travel insurance

gmann

This has probably been mentioned before but the importance of trip insurance is worth emphasizing. Last March my wife broke her leg while in port. We were taken back to the ships hospital for treatment. Thankfully, surgery wasn't needed. The medical staff was superb and that should be of comfort to anyone who has wondered about the ability of the ships medical staff. Which brings me to the point.

Our shipboard medical charges totaled more than $2000. We took out trip insurance but assumed that our excellent health coverage would probably cover the vast majority of the cost. Ultimately they paid less than half. Fortunately the travel insurance company states that they will cover the balance. Hope that's true.

Lesson learned: if you can't afford the insurance then perhaps you can't afford the trip.

I agree completely. Some health insurances won't pay for cruise ship medical expenses; others won't pay for out-of-country expenses.

A few years ago, my brother-in-law got suddenly sick on a cruise. The onboard Medical Center bill was $8,000. Medicare did not pay anything, supplemental insurance w/Blue Shield paid $6,000, Princess insurance paid the remainder. He was in the ICU in FLL for a month. My sister's and my hotel expenses were mostly covered.

Cruise or travel insurance: don't leave home without it.

And then there are the people who say they are young and healthy so they don't need travel insurance. Anybody, of any age, can have an accident and most health insurance does not cover foreign travel.

Buy the travel insurance!

Good points. I will pick up the insurance for our next cruise..

It's important to note that you do your research regarding companies and coverage. Most will cover pre-existing conditions only if the policy is purchased shortly after the initial cruise deposit is made. This aspect of the policy is especially important for those of us, presumably older, who have medical conditions that may impact our travel plans.

And then there are the people who say they are young and healthy so they don't need travel insurance. Anybody, of any age, can have an accident and most health insurance does not cover foreign travel.

Buy the travel insurance!

Agree with you totally.....young, old, healthy, sick.....you never know what is around the corner:(

Archived