How Do You Save Up For A Cruise?

We are duel income and both of us have direct deposit. So we both have some money put into our vacation fund. I do not make even a eighth of what DH makes a year. I have several vacation accounts. When we get cost of living allowance checks or any extras in they go too. We also claim 00 during the year for taxes. Then when we get that tax check it also goes into the account. DH and I seem to have this hidden race to see who saves up more left over money during the year. He usually is the one who saves up more because he'll throw in bills such as 20's,10's and 5's. He actually gives the change as a gift to me to do with as I please. I then count and roll it up. This is also vacation money. We also use this money for spending money while on the cruise. We now have custody of two grandchildren so now there is a lot less money to (or should we say more money to put out for a cruise now.) Instead of every year we will cruise every two years.

My wife and I "pay" a certain amount every month, just like a bill, into a savings account set up that we just use for vacations or "fun money". If we get extra money, like a tax refund or bonuses at work, we try and put at least half into this account as well. It works well for us, and lets us vacation about once a year or so. If and when we get raises, we just increase the amount paid in every month.

My wife and I both work and our children are grown and married. We use our pay checks to pay our bills and everyday expenses. I work 12 hour schedule so I only work 14 out of every 28 days. So I work part time doing several different things on my days off and that is our vacation money. We take two cruises a year along with several 4 day weekend getaways a year camping. We would do more but the wife does not have enough time off. I also do two 5 day fishing trips a year and she does a girls week trip to the beach. It's what works for us. I type this sitting at an off duty security job thinking 38 more days and I will be headed out to sea.

My husband and I have given each other "cruise fund" money instead of gifts for our birthdays and anniversary every year since we got married 6 years ago. We probably could have done a cruise after a couple years this way, but we had babies instead lol - our youngest is finally old enough to stay with grandma for a week so we cashed in on our "cruise fund" this year!

We definitely aren't one of those who can do multiple cruises in a year, for more reasons than money, but we found it pretty easy to save up just by replacing gifts to each other.

This is a good idea.

I only buy clothes that I need.

We live pretty close to the bone.

Mow our own grass, do our own painting and all that jazz.

It is the essentials that have become the killers now, utilities, food, meds, gas!

Still it is much easier to stick to buying needs only if I ask myself "Do I want this more than a cruise?"

The answer is usually no.

We drive to New Orleans and do cheap cruises.

We need five days for dh's job and finding someone to feed our dogs.

Flying would be nice if only there were good fares from Memphis.:(

Edited by mzloolue

The first thing we do is book at least a year in advance.

Any extra little money we get goes into our vacation fund.

I also put money in an envelope every week, from my check.

Any money we have left over from our vacation, goes right back into the vacation fund!:D It adds up.

I wanted to see how others saved up. I was reading post after post on how folks have cruises booked every few months...I consider myself lucky if we can go every few years. We both have full time jobs and do not live beyond my means and do not have a credit card. So if we can't afford it, we don't go.

So, what are your tricks to saving up? Mine is the "squirreling away money" tactic. I take an extra $50 or $100 from payday and put it in an "Vacation Envelope" and I NEVER check the balance in less then 4 months. If I get a rebate check, I cash it and put it into the envelope etc. I know it doesn't seem like much but I can get a few hundred saved up here and there. Once I know we have enough to afford a cruise I will then book it and continue to save for the excursions, shopping etc.

Thanks for your tips on how you save for a cruise!!

We travel, not just cruise, excessively as family, ( 2teens) as a couple married 20 years, or by ourselves. Credit card points and sign-up bonus have been a major part of our travel. I churn credit card, so we both get the card, use it for the benefit and then close it. We pay off the card each month, since items purchased are usually gas, groceries, phone, cable, insurance- home and car, some utilities and co-pay on doctor bills. This year, we had a high end trip to Hawaii (Mau and Kauai), one first class ticket to Jamaica, and 2 r/t ticket to Houston for our cruise, majority covered by points valued at about $7,000. Right now with Southwest, you each get 2 free tickets for getting their card, a value of up to $880 times 2. I decide where I want to go and what card to get for the best value. Next year I am going to UK and Switzerland so I am using one of the Chase cards with a sign up bonus of 60K (target offer, the ones in the mail) or $775 toward any travel. In a year I should easily have enough for the ticket or to book a cruise. The credit card company rewards us for purchasing everyday, needed items, and paying off the bill at the end of the month. I just used points to get gift cards for Starbucks, Chilli and Red Robin = $75.

If you would like more information email me at mustbetripping@gmail. com. Yes, tripping not trippin':D. We live within our mean but living means tripping

Edited by Blk_Amish

We use most of the ways/tips offered, and use the 5 gallon water jug for our OBC or tips, which usually account for between $300-$600. We emptied the jar for our cruise this past March, and are close to our normal limit, but are going to keep filling it for use next year, in place of the cruise at the end of the month.

I wanted to see how others saved up. I was reading post after post on how folks have cruises booked every few months...I consider myself lucky if we can go every few years. We both have full time jobs and do not live beyond my means and do not have a credit card. So if we can't afford it, we don't go.

So, what are your tricks to saving up? Mine is the "squirreling away money" tactic. I take an extra $50 or $100 from payday and put it in an "Vacation Envelope" and I NEVER check the balance in less then 4 months. If I get a rebate check, I cash it and put it into the envelope etc. I know it doesn't seem like much but I can get a few hundred saved up here and there. Once I know we have enough to afford a cruise I will then book it and continue to save for the excursions, shopping etc.

Thanks for your tips on how you save for a cruise!!

We have cruised as many as 10 times in one year but there are things we do to be as conservative as possible.

We cruise during the off season.

We book an OV (an interior if it is on a Fantasy class ship, because they are big enough for 3 comfortably).

We do not drink a lot or gamble.

We own Stock...so we get the Stockholders OBC.

We do not spend a lot on excursions at every port.

We use our Chase Sapphire credit card to book the cruise because they give us free travel insurance. It is not the best in the world but it is fine for inexpensive cruises.

It also helps that we are 7 hours from a port, so we do not have a lot of airfare.

Next month we are flying to Alaska, but that is using points from hubby's travel for free airfare...and our hotels are usually free the same way using his points.

We book B2B cruises often. Saves on transportation and hotel.

Stay at a hotel with free parking and park for two weeks is cheaper than parking by port for two separate weeks.

Duel income no kids

As many have posted, we do/fix everything ourselves

Never bought a Starbucks coffee and not missing it

We cook all our meals and we both pack our lunches.

Eat a lot of cheap foods like Lentils

Never pay full price for clothes or most things

Always know what we are going to buy and walk out when done (no strolling around stores)

Ride a cycle to work

Keep it hot in the house in summer and layers in winter

Use kitchen towels and not paper

Buy in bulk

Plan trips to stores instead of driving so much. Many days we stay home all weekend

Never carry a credit card balance

Cell phone is pay by minute and no land line

We have a toys like 4 wheelers, cycles, boat, etc. so we spend most of our time creating great memories instead of shopping, movies, dinners, etc. We live on 11+ acres so never feel trapped at home. (Probably an advantage over many)

Book in advance and watch for price drops. NEVER do excursions with the ship. Never bought insurance (30+ and counting knock on wood) we cruise (4) 7 nights every year. As you ALL know, it is soooo addicting. Headed out in 17 days. Oh yeah, always book offseason

I could go on and on how Frugile I am, but I don't need another intervention. :D

I usually wait until I get some kind of "extra money" - Income Tax refund or a Christmas Bonus or that kind of thing - and use that for the deposit.

Then I just pay $100 or $200 each payday until it's paid off.

we choose between whether we NEED something or WANT something. Need always comes before want. Live within your means! The savings will add up sooner than you think.

Exactly! Most of DW's friends drive Lexus, BMW and etc. We can afford such vehicles too. But DW picked a Honda. The difference was easily several cruises.

This next cruise we are getting by pretty cheap. DS14 is starting a private high school this year so thought we would not be able to go on vacation for a while because of the tuition - but we are booked on the Conquest next June. Inside Cabin on Lido for 4 - $2600.

1. Southwest CC - Have done this in the past and just signed DH and I up again to both get the 50,000 points. This pays for our airfare for the 4 of us (which from Mpls is usually about $400 a person now)

2. DH has a work credit card with lots of points. So, we cashed in those for $1200 in Carnival Certificates.

3. On our way home from Disney this past June - our flight was overbooked. I volunteered us to be bumped. We each got $522 in SW Vouchers - So, about $2100. These need to be used within a year and our cruise is right after they expire (have to go after school is out). So, we are selling these to some friends at a discount.

So, all of the above is paying for our cruise. We just need spending money. We also do the change thing, have money put into an ING account (or whatever it is now) and I partake in a city wide garage sale each May and ususally make between $1500 -$2000 ( I do alot of couponing and sell my products and do very well). Although - this will now go in the Tuition fund...

Step 1) Pay all bills (mortgage, car, utilities, etc).

Step 2) Fund 401K, Savings account, life insurance, kid's college funds, etc.

Step 3) Any money left over is FUN MONEY!! :D

Exactly! Most of DW's friends drive Lexus, BMW and etc. We can afford such vehicles too. But DW picked a Honda. The difference was easily several cruises.

And the maintenance on a Honda is much cheaper than luxury vehicles. Brakes on my brother's BMW over $1000, tires over $300 (each), etc.. A "free" cruise every 40,000 miles. :)

My husband and I have given each other "cruise fund" money instead of gifts for our birthdays and anniversary every year since we got married 6 years ago. We probably could have done a cruise after a couple years this way, but we had babies instead lol - our youngest is finally old enough to stay with grandma for a week so we cashed in on our "cruise fund" this year!

We definitely aren't one of those who can do multiple cruises in a year, for more reasons than money, but we found it pretty easy to save up just by replacing gifts to each other.

This is a really great idea! I am very big on Christmas and birthdays, so I will discuss this option with my husband. We are not organized with vacation money- we just take whatever amount out of our savings, use it to vacation. This would give us an alternative stash!

DH and I have done and now teach the dave ramsey course on financial peace university. We have a sinking fund for vacations so we add to that each month.

We pay for all groceries and eating out with cash, when we get our change we never put the dollar bills back into the budget, they go into a special vacation fund. When the cruise comes we split the ones and we each have some play money for the cruise. In March we each had $150 in just ones by using this technique!

DH and I have done and now teach the dave ramsey course on financial peace university. We have a sinking fund for vacations so we add to that each month.

We pay for all groceries and eating out with cash, when we get our change we never put the dollar bills back into the budget, they go into a special vacation fund. When the cruise comes we split the ones and we each have some play money for the cruise. In March we each had $150 in just ones by using this technique!

:eek:

I take money out of dh's acct :eek: every month for vacation. He doesn't know, hasn't missed it yet!

We don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat out, in fact we just realized we haven't been ''up town'' all summer for fun.

We don't have satellite or cable. Don't buy a morning coffee. I pack lunch for work.

We buy a new car every 200,000 miles or so. or when it becomes unfixable. overall we live simply.

About forgot. Have a credit card that gives cash back. I pay as many bills on that as possible. But, always pay it off or it defeats the purpose.

I know that some people dislike the idea of using a credit card for every day purchases, but with some discipline, and used as a tool to earn points for vacations instead of as a way to live beyond one's means, it can be a great way to "save" for a cruise.

I charge EVERYTHING to a Royal Caribbean credit card. And I mean, EVERYTHING. I even charge $1.50 sodas at convenience stores. Balance is religiously kept at $0 every month. I only charge what I can pay off at the end of the month.

Since I got this card, I've saved enough points for one of us to sail for free on the Allure of the Seas, and we are now planning our next free cruise aboard Brilliance of the Seas. :D

My Mother in Law does the same with her Carnival credit card, and she sailed with us for free on the Carnival Dream.

Edited by Tapi

We book our cruises one year in advance. Then we work out how much we have to pay over six monthly payments. After the cruise is paid off then you save the same amount again for the remaining six months, but put it into a special bank account, better know as the cruise cocktails account. It's usually way too much but it means that if really good offers for your next cruise are offered during the cruise that you are on, you can take advantage and save for next time.

Also I read an article a year ago saying everyone could save 10%of there out goings if you just do a little research. The article said: ring your electrical company and say another company is offering a better deal can you match it if I stay with you? I did this and my electrical campany gave me a 12.5% discount that saved me about $120 a year. The article also said you can do the same thing with your Internet and phone provider, I did this too and got $20 off a month by combining the accounts, that saved $240 a year. I also saved $30 a month on car insurance, $360 a year. The article also mentioned asking for a better deal on mortgage, but I had no luck discounting that. And finally it said by looking for specials in the supermarket cutting $20 a week of that bill was really easy, $960 a year. Spending a morning ringing doing a little research and making a few phone calls ended up saying us over $1600+ a year. THAT'S A 7 DAY CRUISE PAID FOR!!!!

It was interesting reading everyone's ways to save!

We also put a certain amount away with each pay check. We each are paid weekly, and religiously, $40 from each of us goes directly into our "vacay fund", a separate checking account (free account w/ min. balance, which we always carry).

My savings account = my emergency fund, so nothing gets touched there for vacations.

I agree 100% w/ Tapi about the credit card. I use my credit so it always, benefits me. I charge my card, I write the amount into my check book (which often times people comment, "you still use one of those?") and then pay off the charge as soon as it hits my credit card account. So, I've built my credit, received free money, and never paid interest. IF only I could figure out how to pay my mortgage with one... :)

HAPPY cruising to everyone :D