Metastatic breast cancer - insurance help please

Miss Jolly

Despite my oncologist encouraging me to holiday, I cannot find any insurance company here in Australia or in the USA who will give me pre-existing medical condition coverage for my metastatic breast cancer. We would love to visit friends throughout the US and Canada and also cruise Fort Lauderdale to LA via South America. This can't happen without travel insurance so can anyone please help me with advice?

Despite my oncologist encouraging me to holiday, I cannot find any insurance company here in Australia or in the USA who will give me pre-existing medical condition coverage for my metastatic breast cancer. We would love to visit friends throughout the US and Canada and also cruise Fort Lauderdale to LA via South America. This can't happen without travel insurance so can anyone please help me with advice?

First, let me offer my condolences for your diagnosis. I agree with your doctor that a holiday is just what you need to get your mind in the right place. I have used Travelex (British) when buying cruise insurance in the past. If you purchase the insurance within three weeks of booking your cruise/vacation, they will cover pre-existing conditions. Other insurance companies offer it as well at varying time limits. You might check insuremytrip dot com and search through the various policies.

Good luck and many prayers to you!:D

Look at Travel Insured International (https://www.travelinsured.com/).

They provide the following exception: "You are eligible for coverage for Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Emergency Accident & Sickness Medical Expense (and the Medical Upgrade if this is purchased) due to a pre-existing medical condition if you purchase your travel insurance plan no longer than 30 days after initial trip deposit for Worldwide Trip Protector Gold, and 21 days for Worldwide Trip Protector."

Note that this requires you to purchase the insurance within 30 or 21 days (depending on the type of policy) of the initial cruise deposit - not final payment.

They provide quotes for residents of a long list of countries, including Australia.

So sorry to hear this diagnosis...hopefully travel will relieve some of the stress and give you lots of joy:p

We use Travelguard.com. If you get insurance within 15 days of deposit, it covers pre-existing conditions. We don't travel without it...

Good luck to you. Enjoy!

So sorry to hear this diagnosis...hopefully travel will relieve some of the stress and give you lots of joy:p

We use Travelguard.com. If you get insurance within 15 days of deposit, it covers pre-existing conditions. We don't travel without it...

Good luck to you. Enjoy!

Us too -- I'm a 10 year survivor and looking forward to many more :)

Just be aware that there are restrictions attached to those pre condition waivers. Whichever company you are considering, I would call and speak with an agent and give him/her the full details of your situation, making sure you will have coverage--and get it in writing!!! Verbal promises are easily made and easily broken- and easily misunderstood.

Good luck to you!

Just be aware that there are restrictions attached to those pre condition waivers. Whichever company you are considering, I would call and speak with an agent and give him/her the full details of your situation, making sure you will have coverage--and get it in writing!!! Verbal promises are easily made and easily broken- and easily misunderstood.

Good luck to you!

I hope the OP works this out, but I can't imagine how an insurance company can waive the pre-existing conditions and stay in business. Not for long, anyway. And certainly not to any meaningful extent.

Sorry to hear of your health problems. The cruise plans you mentioned will carry you to some areas where appropriate medical care may be difficult to find if needed. Speaking as a retired physician, if you haven't already done so I'd urge you to discuss the specific cruise itinerary with your oncologist. Sure hope you get to go.

Look at Travel Insured International (https://www.travelinsured.com/).

They provide the following exception: "You are eligible for coverage for Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Emergency Accident & Sickness Medical Expense (and the Medical Upgrade if this is purchased) due to a pre-existing medical condition if you purchase your travel insurance plan no longer than 30 days after initial trip deposit for Worldwide Trip Protector Gold, and 21 days for Worldwide Trip Protector."

Note that this requires you to purchase the insurance within 30 or 21 days (depending on the type of policy) of the initial cruise deposit - not final payment.

They provide quotes for residents of a long list of countries, including Australia.

Thank you everyone for your kind words, good wishes and suggestions. I have just googled this site and when I put in my country as Australia, this was the response:

[I]Notice to Non-U.S. Residents

Due to regulations, Travel Insured is able to provide our regular, comprehensive travel insurance policies to U.S. residents only.

For medical-only travel insurance (without trip cancellation or baggage coverage), please review the plans offered by our partner, HCC.

We regret that we cannot provide complete coverage for your trip and apologize for any inconvenience.:([/i]

Good luck to you. Enjoy!

Thank you. I have my hopes up as when looking at their site, I see that they will at least insure us as Australians living in Australia. However, under pre existing conditions they say that I am not covered due to my condition. I cannot see anywhere anything about pre-existing conditions being covered if you buy the insurance within a particular timeframe. Further advice with regard to this would be welcomed.

Thank you. I have my hopes up as when looking at their site, I see that they will at least insure us as Australians living in Australia. However, under pre existing conditions they say that I am not covered due to my condition. I cannot see anywhere anything about pre-existing conditions being covered if you buy the insurance within a particular timeframe. Further advice with regard to this would be welcomed.

My experience with other plans is that the cancer was not covered as a pre-existing condition. It may be 5+ years post-treatment before you will be able to be totally covered. May I suggest that you e-mail or call TravelGuard and speak with someone who is very knowledgable about coverage for your condition.

Travelguard would not even assess me once they knew that the cancer had spread.:mad: No one will touch me even though my conservative oncologist is happy for me to travel. This is very depressing.

Travelguard would not even assess me once they knew that the cancer had spread.:mad: No one will touch me even though my conservative oncologist is happy for me to travel. This is very depressing.

I travelled uninsured for many years until I was able to be covered again.

In your situation, I think I would just travel without travel insurance.

If you are taking a cruise, book the cruise line insurance. If a flight, the airline may offer limited insurance on the ticket to pay for changes if they need to occur

Since your oncologist is encouraging you to go on holiday, do it and pray for the best!

Archived