Any Time Dining Question...

CHolliwood

We will be sailing on the Summit this weekend and have the Any Time Dining selection.

I've read that we still require reservations on a daily basis, can anyone confirm?

If so, where do you make them and how flexible are they? After all, this is supposed to fit your schedule and if you have to book them all when you arrive on ship it defeats the purpose, in my opinion.

Thanks,

As others have said, there is no requirement for a reservation. Just show up when you want, and depending on the time you may get in right away, or have to wait 10-15 minutes at the most for a table.

You can, however, make reservations and you will be seated a lot quicker during the busy times. Reservations are also pretty much required if you want a table for 2. That being said, you can make reservations for the same day. What I typically do, is sometime during the day, usually while lunch is on, just stop by the main dining room and make a reservation for that evening's dinner service (since by noon, we usually know what time we'll want to be having supper).

When the MDR is busy, you might have to wait a few minutes. Occasionally, if there's only two of you, the hostess might ask if you mind sharing a table. Either way, you're accommodated as quickly as possible. I think the hostess takes notes as to what time you show up thinking that will be around the same time every evening. That's just speculation though.

We just got back from our trip on the Eclipse. Select Dining was a great success. As the previous posters have said, reservations are definitely not required. We ate most nights at the peak hours of 7:00-7:45 at a table for 2 and only had to wait one night, and that was for a short 10 minutes. Service was superb no matter where we sat, with the wait staff making an effort to speak to us by name. In fact, it's the best service we've had in several cruises. Bar service was also quick and attentive. Even with the Beverage Package, our wine needs were met. We are converts. We will be glad to answer any other questions.

We've done Select dining 3 times now and have made reservations for each cruise, but never used reservations. In fact, when we show up there is just a line and no one ever asks if you have a reservation or not. We asked about it the first time and were told to "just get in line." I think they just use the reservations to have a ball park idea of how many people are going to show up and when.

That said, we've never spent more than 5 minutes waiting for a table and always get the kind of table (for two or with people) that we want so we absolutely love Select dining.

Tom

We will be sailing on the Summit this weekend and have the Any Time Dining selection.

I've read that we still require reservations on a daily basis, can anyone confirm?

If so, where do you make them and how flexible are they? After all, this is supposed to fit your schedule and if you have to book them all when you arrive on ship it defeats the purpose, in my opinion.

Thanks,

We have done MTD on Royal since it started and will be doing Select Dining on Celebrity Summit next April. We rarely if ever make reservations, always get a table for 2, pretty much always with the same wait staff the entire cruise. We love the flexibility of going to dinner when we feel like it. Best thing they ever started. We will never go back to traditional dining.

Can you request the same table or wait team with Select Dining?

Yes, that is what we do and we always get the same. I like it as I eat stuff not on the menu. So this way they know what I want and bring it to me every night without me have to explain it to someone different each night.

Yes, that is what we do and we always get the same. I like it as I eat stuff not on the menu. So this way they know what I want and bring it to me every night without me have to explain it to someone different each night.

I know it can be done on RCI where you and I usually cruise, but how about on Celebrity? Have you done it there too?

We don't get special food, but when we find a waiter we like we always request them and have never had a problem getting the same person. In fact, after the 2nd night the hostess just says, "Do you want ... again?" and off we go.

I don't know how they keep it all straight. It's kind of how does the local coffee person know I want a vanilla latte... baffling.

Tom

I know it can be done on RCI where you and I usually cruise, but how about on Celebrity? Have you done it there too?

Our recent experience with Select dining on Silhouette was not at all as described by other posters. There were always 2 lines when we arrived - with and without reservations. Even if you were standing at the head of the line, any guest who arrived after you who had reservations, was seated first. There were nights where 12 to 15 parties were seated while the line for those without reservations just stood there without moving for 15-20 minutes. The whole reservation process seemed to defeat the purpose of select dining, although it appeared to work well for those who wanted a fixed dining time that they chose.

Archived