Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Is that one of those "eat as much as you like" places for £5 :(

How would you know! :D How was Skibbo .... all you can eat for a bit more than 5 squids ....

It was stuff we had to eat ... I over ordered .......

Do you like my well ventilated cigar room? I had a cunning plan this year. Fed up with not smoking when it was raining. So an outside cigar room. With roof. This is it today. Well the roof that is. Twinkly lights, chinese silk cheap vines and a bit of guttering down the middle to stop the drips. I deserve an inventors medal for this. Somewhere to smoke, drink brandy and suck a Mozart ball in bleedin' peace and no yakking. smile.gif

Too far down market for you .....:)

B4436FF0-F335-405A-984B-4732962503AB_zpsefpruiij.jpg

70835A6C-1735-458E-86E2-BCDDDCBBB4BE_zpspkr65zdh.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

How would you know! :D How was Skibbo .... all you can eat for a bit more than 5 squids ....

It was stuff we had to eat ... I over ordered .......

Do you like my well ventilated cigar room? I had a cunning plan this year. Fed up with not smoking when it was raining. So an outside cigar room. With roof. This is it today. Well the roof that is. Twinkly lights, chinese silk cheap vines and a bit of guttering down the middle to stop the drips. I deserve an inventors medal for this. Somewhere to smoke, drink brandy and suck a Mozart ball in bleedin' peace and no yakking. smile.gif

Too far down market for you .....:)

B4436FF0-F335-405A-984B-4732962503AB_zpsefpruiij.jpg

70835A6C-1735-458E-86E2-BCDDDCBBB4BE_zpspkr65zdh.jpg

I thought that they were candied horse chestnuts (conkers)

Skibo was excellent can't say too much here as the green eyed monsters will come out .

It's one of those "all you can eat and drink for seven grand a year" places

I'm impressed you know about £5 notes ....:D

ps it's the blue ones .... ;)

Ignore them . Talk about Skibbo!

I've got them in the bog held together with a bit of string.

Shame you can't get quilted ones:eek:

That's interesting.

When you visit the UK, what aspects of the UK ..or London, if it's confined to London ... do you most miss when you return home? What would you most like to take home with you if you could?

The thing I would love to bring home is the choice you get with a big population ( but I don't want the big population) eg theatre, museums, restaurants, shopping, even the underground. We have travelled north, south, east and west of your lovely country, and it constantly amazes me the amount of open space given the size of the country and the population. I love that you live, work and play in your old cottages, barns and buildings - we knock anything old down and let's face it, anything old here is only 19th century.

I have a cooking question for you. Have you tied Sous Vide? I have bought a cooker and am having a love / hate relationship with it. Any advise?

Shrewsbury

Small Waitrose convenience type store in the middle of town but they're due to build a "real" one this year I think - not too far from us.

We actually get a few Waitrose products here - four legs loves one of the canned foods which is good news as she's so fussy!

M

The thing I would love to bring home is the choice you get with a big population ( but I don't want the big population) eg theatre, museums, restaurants, shopping, even the underground. We have travelled north, south, east and west of your lovely country, and it constantly amazes me the amount of open space given the size of the country and the population. I love that you live, work and play in your old cottages, barns and buildings - we knock anything old down and let's face it, anything old here is only 19th century.

I have a cooking question for you. Have you tied Sous Vide? I have bought a cooker and am having a love / hate relationship with it. Any advise?

Yes, I have a Sous Vide Supreme cooker and was an early adopter.

SousVide-Supreme-with-Plated-Food-650x433.jpg

It is extremely good at proteins particularly beef etc. and on an earlier thread it was clear that SS are using them for steaks because without knowing they served Wes a steak that I could see immediately was cooked sous vide but the fact that he didn't know but said it was the a really good texture and juicy says it all. There are some oddities which it's difficult to get you mind around. It's about pasteurisation which is the process that leads to safe food by using a combination of time and temperature. This means for example you can produce chicken that is very pink but perfectly safe. Your eyes and brain however tell you not to eat it.

Obviously you need to buy a vaccuum machine and pouches and the thing that I'd have most liked was a vaccum machine that could deal with liquids but they are a fair bit of cash.

I no longer use sous vide except on the odd occasion.

As any further questions you have.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Shrewsbury

Small Waitrose convenience type store in the middle of town but they're due to build a "real" one this year I think - not too far from us.

We actually get a few Waitrose products here - four legs loves one of the canned foods which is good news as she's so fussy!

M

I envy you the food festival in June ......:)

Might I suggest lyonnaise potatoes with it?

....... it will be the same mash made for today - I always make double .......

Charlottes. carrots, butter and three chese sause all mashed!

Where are you eating tommorow? Still waiting for you to spill the beans re Skibo. Was your beef as good as mine?:)

48F947C8-2C3B-431D-97CD-1A98AA9F4364_zpsfx24hdas.jpg

....... it will be the same mash made for today - I always make double .......

Charlottes. carrots, butter and three chese sause all mashed!

Where are you eating tommorow? Still waiting for you to spill the beans re Skibo. Was your beef as good as mine?:)

48F947C8-2C3B-431D-97CD-1A98AA9F4364_zpsfx24hdas.jpg

Our cat makes that mess sometimes.

Can't be doing with adding carrots into it.

Having lunch at Le Gavroche.they have spent a fortune on a new kitchen and a new private dining room.I like the family Roux,Michel is doing well and he can cook like his father.

Lots of butter and cream then tomorrow.

I feel a Chassagne Montrachet coming on.

Our cat makes that mess sometimes.

Can't be doing with adding carrots into it.

Having lunch at Le Gavroche.they have spent a fortune on a new kitchen and a new private dining room.I like the family Roux,Michel is doing well and he can cook like his father.

Lots of butter and cream then tomorrow.

I feel a Chassagne Montrachet coming on.

Stop being rotten about my grub! I try!

I've spoken to Michael senior twice over the last year or so ...both at Nice lounge. He is a lovely man. It's Albert who you need to keep a distance from.....:eek: He is opening a restaurant in Brentwood. Are they ready for each other?!

Do you cook?

Stop being rotten about my grub! I try!

I've spoken to Michael senior twice over the last year or so ...both at Nice lounge. He is a lovely man. It's Albert who you need to keep a distance from.....:eek: He is opening a restaurant in Brentwood. Are they ready for each other?!

Do you cook?

I have done but now I encourage professionals to cook for me.

I did enjoy it as it's rather therapeutic.

Yes Michel senior is great,I use the Waterside Inn when around the Winsdor area.

The only way is Essex eh!

I envy you the food festival in June ......:)

Hopefully I surface from under the first lot of boxes from storage by then in time to get a short break before the container from here arrives :eek:

You know when you go through a series of days when you know that nothin' is on your bleedin' side … and then several things seem to to go right? Today is one of those lovely days!

Upset by the scathing comments about my potatoes I resorted to Frankfurters and wedges. However, hunting through my humidor looking for something suitable, I found some Rafael Gonzalez, that I bought in 2011. From recall I got an email fom my tax-friendly cigar supplier in the bonded area of Geneva to tell me that he'd found a stock of Rafael Gonzalez that had been packed in 2000 and kept constantly at 70/70 and he asked if I wanted them at normal price. I of course said “yes … send them all” and when they arrived packed them into the humidors and forgot them. Until today! Bought after lunch, packed into humidors after lunch and promptly forgot. So I've found a lovely overlooked stash of nectar.

On top of that we'd moved from Gaggia to Nespresso last year but the bleeding pods have a silly use by date. How can sealed pods have a use by date? An argument that has confounded us all. I thought it was a cunning plan to sell us more when we needn't buy. Today I used some of my enormous stock of Arpeggio pods (use by October 2013) and they are perfect. Anyone who makes espresso knows that stale coffee never ever produces crema. Look at that crema!

And then to cap it all one of our pet deers came down who eats all our ivy and stared at me! Obviously wanted a puff of my cigar!

Finally, even though it was raining, in my smoking area …. the only dry spot was where I sit. Espresso, Torres Brandy, Rafael Gonzales 2000, Mozart's favourite balls, my favourite deer and no rain!

Happy days.

C835B080-92C4-4B81-9D2F-3861EDF98F10_zpsvkf8egoq.jpg

F49D4C39-90C3-41E7-8E00-7F78117A19E9_zpseowgyo9u.jpg

78ED7890-66A6-4F09-98CB-24FC03EA7F13_zpsjswuoweg.jpg

P1000043_zps22ba12c1.jpg

Hopefully I surface from under the first lot of boxes from storage by then in time to get a short break before the container from here arrives :eek:

I think you are in an eating oasis in an unlikely spot. You'll need to say what you find!

Good luck with the unpacking ...:D

Tell you what, some people lead the good life!

I have to suffer sunshine for 320 days a year in Cyprus, eating out and playing golf. Its OK for people who work they get two days off, if you are retired you never get a day off. :D

Love the pictures thanks, just started baking, just made Brownies, yum yum.

Tell you what, some people lead the good life!

I have to suffer sunshine for 320 days a year in Cyprus, eating out and playing golf. Its OK for people who work they get two days off, if you are retired you never get a day off. :D

Love the pictures thanks, just started baking, just made Brownies, yum yum.

I so understand that. How long have you been in Northern Cyprus? Having too much leisure can be worst than too much work ....;)

fudge is making Brownies :eek: