Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Lincolnshire Sossies and some mash ... 'cos we're having a chink delivered for supper!

What about you?

Using the term "Chink" even in jest is both unkind, and hurtful.

Agree, do not understand why putting down others is funny or honorable.

How strange.

It's somewhat difficult to know whether this is supposed to be funny or whether you are serious. :D

Ordering a Chink is used as slang for in the UK for ordering a Chinese meal. Which is exactly what I said. I am not ordering a Chinese person. If I was talking about a person that would be different. In Cockney rhyming slang we even have "ordering a tiddly wink" ...

Anyway, just to make doubly sure .... if any Chinese meal is reading this thread and was offended by me using the word "Chink" for "Chinese Meal" I unreservedly apologise for my faux pas and promise never, ever, ever to do so again.

:)

Something airlines should give more thought to as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Keith,

I agree. Like all things it is about expectations. I never really expect a decent meal on a flight so I'm never dissapointed. They can rarely even produce a decent meal in their lounges.

:(

How strange.

It's somewhat difficult to know whether this is supposed to be funny or whether you are serious. :D

Ordering a Chink is used as slang for in the UK for ordering a Chinese meal. Which is exactly what I said. I am not ordering a Chinese person. If I was talking about a person that would be different. In Cockney rhyming slang we even have "ordering a tiddly wink" ...

Anyway, just to make doubly sure .... if any Chinese meal is reading this thread and was offended by me using the word "Chink" for "Chinese Meal" I unreservedly apologise for my faux pas and promise never, ever, ever to do so

Thankfully you were not having a curry or you might have offended anyone called Ruby Murray:rolleyes:

Good to see a new set of complainers although they are not up to the standard of the old school complainers that we have seen in the past I think perhaps their eyes are not as green.

I am off to the opening of P&A Wood new Rolls-Royce showroom near Dunmow in Essex.

I am giving my new Ghost a run,should be a nice day with a few nibbles and drinks I think there is also a fly past.

Coach house again last night,lady Lux had lobster Thermidor I had tournedos Rossini,both excellent

Edited by Mr Luxury

Thankfully you were not having a curry or you might have offended anyone called Ruby Murray:rolleyes:

Good to see a new set of complainers although they are not up to the standard of the old school complainers that we have seen in the past I think perhaps their eyes are not as green.

I am off to the opening of P&A Wood new Rolls-Royce showroom near Dunmow in Essex.

I am giving my new Ghost a run,should be a nice day with a few nibbles and drinks I think there is also a fly past.

Coach house again last night,lady Lux had lobster Thermidor I had tournedos Rossini,both excellent

I hope you are taking the chauffeur with. He has to fit. :D

So they had a "60's" night at the Coach House? Sounds wonderful! Prawn cocktail to start and a Blackforest Gateaux to finish? ;)

They called my cousin Zelman Cowen a Pom and he was Governor General .. Still at least he sacked Gough Whitlam the Prime Minsiter!

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I hope you are taking the chauffeur with. He has to fit. :D

So they had a "60's" night at the Coach House? Sounds wonderful! Prawn cocktail to start and a Blackforest Gateaux to finish? ;)

They called my cousin Zelman Cowen a Pom and he was Governor General .. Still at least he sacked Gough Whitlam the Prime Minsiter!

Scollops in Lobster sauce for me to start followed by a pasta with meat sauce and a hint of chilli for a second course.

Mrs Lux had baked avocado with Stilton to start and funny you should mention it

Black Forest gateaux with cream and a few strawberries.

A good bottle of Sassacaia and LP Rose washed it all down.

Had a run to Salisbury yesterday thought of you as I sailed down the A303 in the Ghost.

I like to drive the Ghost but like to sit in the back when we use the Phantom

Edited by Mr Luxury

Scollops in Lobster sauce for me to start followed by a pasta with meat sauce and a hint of chilli for a second course.

Mrs Lux had baked avocado with Stilton to start and funny you should mention it

Black Forest gateaux with cream and a few strawberries.

A good bottle of Sassacaia and LP Rose washed it all down.

Had a run to Salisbury yesterday thought of you as I sailed down the A303 in the Ghost.

I like to drive the Ghost but like to sit in the back when we use the Phantom

Should have popped in. We'd even use proper tealeaves rather than those bags you disapprove of. And I'd have opened a pack of HobNobs.

Just had the terrible job of cancelling next Saturday's lunch in Vienna. I was so looking forward to giving her a bit of pork in Prater. But people are coming on Friday and we will be drinking and they won't be gone early so the early start to T3 on Saturday wasn't on. And BA kept more of my cash than I expected. :(

What were you doing at Salisbury? Did you ever get to see Ted Heath's house in The Close. A real Gentleman's House! I spoke to him when he was very frail and in a wheelchair. Lovely man. It was quite upsetting actually to see him so frail.

I'd love to hear what you did on the ships. You've got me all intrigued. :)

Jeff, thank you for your kind words.

I was a Steiner gal on board ship for two years. Did the NY to Bermuda run for the first year then a world cruise. The Bermuda run is the main reason for my Whisper voyage in October as l have such fond memories.

In those days Cunard was CUNARD and at it's best! We used to dock in Bermuda right next to the Sea Venture...aka The Love Boat.

I was very young and naive ;) I soon grew up:eek:

Today's offerings for luncheon are pork steaks with veggies and roasters...pater has already been served, I shall wait a while and enjoy a glass of the old Casa Blanco! ;)

Sophia :)

Sophie!!!

I'm speaking on behalf of Lux here .... you understand .... not myself. Doesn't bother me. But he was so overcome by the shakes that he can't type and has asked me to ask you to post a picture of you as a Steiner Gal. He has always been a leotard man! :eek:

If you can't face it .. tell me and I'll tell him you can't find a piccy ... and I'll let him down gently. He is sitting quietly in the corner at the moment and it's best to leave him there to recover. I have put him in the recovery position but his tongue keeps falling out.

14FE4B01-5A67-496A-9B0B-E224C1DA5915_zpsbywtg79l.jpg

Sophie!!!

I'm speaking on behalf of Lux here .... you understand .... not myself. Doesn't bother me. But he was so overcome by the shakes that he can't type and has asked me to ask you to post a picture of you as a Steiner Gal. He has always been a leotard man! :eek:

If you can't face it .. tell me and I'll tell him you can't find a piccy ... and I'll let him down gently. He is sitting quietly in the corner at the moment and it's best to leave him there to recover. I have put him in the recovery position but his tongue keeps falling out.

Mr Jeff, you are quite naughty:p blaming Lux whilst the poor man is out Ghost and Phantom hunting!

I do indeed have many a pic of my Steiner days....none of which are sadly fit for general publication on such a prestigious board as this;) by the spit...I'd never be allowed to set foot on a gangway again!! :eek:

Your bangers and mash look most appetising....not sure about the ale though...although l did once work as a tour guide in a brewery!!

Sadly, my luncheon was crap today...l just wasn't in the mood and it showed in the final product.....tomorrow may be better!! :rolleyes:

S :)

Funny!

You use to work in both a brewery and a ship!

I once did a summer on a ship .... oh alright ... a boat! I worked on one of the boats between Westminster and The Tower. I think I know every single building. No salary, just the tips. "We pay for the sound system out of our own pocket, and if you'd like to show your appreciation ......"

Playing records was lean in the early days. :rolleyes:

One day Lux is going to tell us that he has eaten in!

Funny!

You use to work in both a brewery and a ship!

I once did a summer on a ship .... oh alright ... a boat! I worked on one of the boats between Westminster and The Tower. I think I know every single building. No salary, just the tips. "We pay for the sound system out of our own pocket, and if you'd like to show your appreciation ......"

Playing records was lean in the early days. :rolleyes:

One day Lux is going to tell us that he has eaten in!

Was that before or after they moved the bridge to Arizona?

How strange.

Anyway, just to make doubly sure .... if any Chinese meal is reading this thread and was offended by me using the word "Chink" for "Chinese Meal" I unreservedly apologise for my faux pas and promise never, ever, ever to do so again.

I can assure you that I am not so thick as to not know that your "Chink" supper was food. I am also familiar with cockney rhyming and find it charming and usually quaint. The term "Chink" is a racial slur whether it refers to a person or "Chink"art'"Chink" literature etc. Insert the "N" word if you don't get the picture. There are many old sayings and rhymes containing racial slurs ex. Eeny, meeny miny mo....It saddens me that you are gob-smacked when you use one and it causes offense

Was that before or after they moved the bridge to Arizona?

Hiya Mark,

As you know the urban myth was that the purchaser thought they had got Tower Bridge! :D 1967'ish?

The commentary use to be handed down, and as it seems quite a lot of it is suspect. one myth has traction and even a plaque. That is Wren's house on the South Bank where Christopher Wren purportedly oversaw the rebuilding of At Pauls. As I now understand it, a previous owner thought it would have been a good place for him to have lived but he probably never went there. The myth still remains.

Have you ever taken a Thames boat ride?

I can assure you that I am not so thick as to not know that your "Chink" supper was food. I am also familiar with cockney rhyming and find it charming and usually quaint. The term "Chink" is a racial slur whether it refers to a person or "Chink"art'"Chink" literature etc. Insert the "N" word if you don't get the picture. There are many old sayings and rhymes containing racial slurs ex. Eeny, meeny miny mo....It saddens me that you are gob-smacked when you use one and it causes offense

333, mADAM LUX AND MADAM JEFF THINK THEY ARE FUNNY, THEY WILLL HAVE A GREAT TIME AT THE OPERA IN THEIR BOAS

Should have popped in. We'd even use proper tealeaves rather than those bags you disapprove of. And I'd have opened a pack of HobNobs.

Just had the terrible job of cancelling next Saturday's lunch in Vienna. I was so looking forward to giving her a bit of pork in Prater. But people are coming on Friday and we will be drinking and they won't be gone early so the early start to T3 on Saturday wasn't on. And BA kept more of my cash than I expected. :(

What were you doing at Salisbury? Did you ever get to see Ted Heath's house in The Close. A real Gentleman's House! I spoke to him when he was very frail and in a wheelchair. Lovely man. It was quite upsetting actually to see him so frail.

Hello me ol' China

I went to visit an ex lady in waiting to HM who lives in a small village just nearby.

I have been to Teds house Arundells in Cathedral close to visit him several times

He had some wonderful artwork at the house including some lovely Chinese and Japanese gear.

:D

Wouldn't it be lovely if some simply read the OP and respected those posting here. Not much to ask really .....

Burgers were good!:)

Shame about some on here

Burgers do indeed look good

I can report that we did not eat in yesterday cannot remember the last time we did that.

The Rolls-Royce do was great yesterday,lots of old and new examples of the marque.

The aircraft display was excellent topped off with a Spitfire demonstration.

On the way home in the Ghost we decided to get a table at our local Michelin starred hostelry.

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.co.uk

Nice guinea fowl and lamb washed down with a bottle of Billecart salmon rose

Good cheese selection

We did dine in,in a restaurant:D

Think you've found a Chink In The Armor Jeff!:eek:

S:)

No pleasure really.....

If I have followed correctly, and presuming the facts are correct as claimed, derbylane has bags of SS and general cruise experience to share .... and this thread is where she/he is welcome to share.

Having cruised with SS since 1997 with 467 days under the belt .... that sounds like 7 or 8% of every single year for 17 years spent on SS ships with experience on other lines as well. Only registered 6 or 7 weeks ago, but I hope thay they accept the olive branch and invitation to join in here and tell us about their knowledge and experiences. That is pretty unique stuff to share. If nicely.

EDITED: I am sorry. I am slow. Just got the joke! :D

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Shame about some on here

Burgers do indeed look good

I can report that we did not eat in yesterday cannot remember the last time we did that.

The Rolls-Royce do was great yesterday,lots of old and new examples of the marque.

The aircraft display was excellent topped off with a Spitfire demonstration.

On the way home in the Ghost we decided to get a table at our local Michelin starred hostelry.

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.co.uk

Nice guinea fowl and lamb washed down with a bottle of Billecart salmon rose

Good cheese selection

We did dine in,in a restaurant:D

That menu looks very good!