Transportation Questions

Cruiser-66

We are cruising the Carnival Sunshine on 11/18. Had trouble finding a hotel! Decided to book the Comfort Inn Airport. They have free shuttle from airport, and $15 per person to the port. Would cab fare to the port be less? It's DH and I and 2 grandsons. Also wondering about returning to the airport after the cruise.

Our flight gets in around 2:00 pm on the 17th. I'm wondering if there would be any way we could see some of the city without going over budget? Any help would be appreciated!

So it is $15 per person, $60 each way for you? A cab is about the same $14pp. Both would be ++tip.

However, frankly, IF you want to see some of the "city" you are staying in the wrong place. You are talking big money with a cab going back and forth, $100 range round trip. Why not just up your hotel. Do a general search with a hotel booking site and see what is available, then go to the direct web sites and see the rates and any discounts.

There is the Jefferson Transit Airport bus, that will take an hour each direction, $2 per person each way. This drops off near Elk, you then can walk two blocks to Canal and take the streetcar at $1.25pp one way. The Jefferson bus, is not 24 hours so check the schedule, it may not be work with a return. This isn't the "best" area to be either, I have no problem, but it creeps out some people. It's going to be dark early in November, rethink your lodging location, have you looked at La Quinta, on Camp? Best Western on Magazine? Drury on Poydras? Plus many others?

Thanks Budget Queen! I checked out the hotels you suggested and they are all booked! There is some kind of convention going on and a Saints game. Just my luck! I tried 3mos ago for a hotel closer and nothing then either!

Keep trying, cancelations happen all the time.

Look at the Holiday Inn on Royal, Hampton Inn in CBD, Queen and Crescent, Chateau Dupre

Also consider seeing what may have space though hotels dot com orbitz expedia etc

So it is $15 per person, $60 each way for you? A cab is about the same $14pp. Both would be ++tip.

Those rates are only valid if departing/arriving at the airport. If you are being picked up at a nearby hotel and going anywhere else you will pay the prevailing metered rate. I recommend Metry Cab. The drivers are all very nice.

http://www.metrycab.com/index.htm

To the OP are you staying at the Comfort Inn or Comfort Suites. If you are at the CI St Rose then you are really out there with not much of anything nearby. Your dining options would be a Waffle House and a Wendy's. You mention getting in at 2pm the day before which gives you plenty of time to see some of the city, but you would need to plan on a $30-$40 cab ride each way. If you were just coming in late the night before then I would say St. Rose is fine, but why waste a vacation day just sitting at a roadside motel?

I checked the drury inn a few days ago & they still had room available. Running about 190-200 a night, but its close to everything. We are staying there for our cruise that's leaving the 16th....

I don't agree it is "close" to everything, it's at least a several blocks walk to anything, and farther if you want to get to a lot of areas. But it is walkable, with no mobility limitations and time. The "closest" highlight is the Superdome, which most people aren't interested in. It may also be of benefit to walk down Poydras and then cross to St. Charles/Camp and walk down those streets. More "action". In the past they also ran a shuttle to the Quarter. But verify if still available and the times.

Although this hotel is always one of my last choices, it is still a superior location over the airport. :)

You may want to check the LaQuinta Inn on Camp Street. I have gotten some good deals there, though I do not know anything about shuttles to the port. No downtown hotels offer airport shuttles.

I would also check hotels in the Garden District/Uptown University area, though they can often be more expensive than those downtown and around the French Quarter.

I would really see if you can't adjust your budget to save on meals/souvenirs/tours and stay closer to the French Quarter/CBD if possible. You will be much happier and will probably end up spending less.

I don't agree it is "close" to everything, it's at least a several blocks walk to anything, and farther if you want to get to a lot of areas. But it is walkable, with no mobility limitations and time. The "closest" highlight is the Superdome, which most people aren't interested in. It may also be of benefit to walk down Poydras and then cross to St. Charles/Camp and walk down those streets. More "action". In the past they also ran a shuttle to the Quarter. But verify if still available and the times.

Although this hotel is always one of my last choices, it is still a superior location over the airport. :)

We stayed there last year & really liked it. To us it was close to everything. Granted, it was a few blocks walk to most places, but for us that's pretty close considering it takes us an hour to get to Walmart! :)

You may want to check the LaQuinta Inn on Camp Street. I have gotten some good deals there, though I do not know anything about shuttles to the port. No downtown hotels offer airport shuttles.

I would also check hotels in the Garden District/Uptown University area, though they can often be more expensive than those downtown and around the French Quarter.

I would really see if you can't adjust your budget to save on meals/souvenirs/tours and stay closer to the French Quarter/CBD if possible. You will be much happier and will probably end up spending less.

I highly recommend the La Quinta and have stayed there many times for Jazz Fest. They do NOT have any port shuttles, you would have to use a cab, or a longer walk.

We stayed there last year & really liked it. To us it was close to everything. Granted, it was a few blocks walk to most places, but for us that's pretty close considering it takes us an hour to get to Walmart! :)

We stayed at the Drury Inn last year as well and really liked it. We are staying there again this year.

I considered it "close" to a the quarter. It may not be right in the middle of the French quarter, but it was certainly closer than hotels on St. Charles in the garden district. We walked everywhere from the Drury without feeling that it was too far of a trek. I suppose it just depends on where you live and what is normally considered "close". I live in a pretty big city and anywhere that takes me 10 minutes or less to drive, is considered close :):)

But as Budget Queen said, I suppose if you have mobility issues, it may seem a bit much. But with no issues, we felt it was fine.

We are currently staying at the marriot springhill suites near Julia and s. peters and have our cruise tomorrow. We really like it the hotel and recommend it. our room has two queen beds and a pull out sofa bed. Free breakfast , walking distance to ww2 museum and French quarter , walking distance to port ( which is 2-3 blocks as the crow flies, bUt more like 5 blocks in actuality since you have to walk around the convention center)

It costs $33 for a cab or $14/pp for more than 3 ppl to go from airport to hotel, and it will cost $7/pp to take taxi from hotel to cruise port.

Archived