Do you notify the cruise line of pre-existing health conditions?

Cairnmom

A little more info- I am disabled by legal definitions, and my mobility is still good most of the time. Of course, that could change in a split second and has. I have gone from walking well to full blown vertigo which has happened twice due to brain mets. Just wondering how much info I need to disclose to the cruise line. I'm private by nature.

Only if you need accommodation for it. If they don't need to provide anything, there's no need for them to know, IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't need accommodation for it, but I worry about an emergency situation.

I don't need accommodation for it, but I worry about an emergency situation.

As soon as I board the ship, drop off my carry ons, I head down to the Medical Center and drop off a printed Medical history that I created and keep current. Mine is now 4 pages long. I give this to the Medical staff so that in the case of an emergency they have all they need to know.

Mine is laid out in the following format:

Page 1 – Emergency PoC; Insurance; Primary Care Physician

Medical History: My full name goes here Last Updated: 07-26-2013

Index:

Page 1 – Emergency PoC; Insurance; Primary Care Physician

Page 2 – Current Medications; Medication & Non Medication Allergies

Page 3 – Medical Conditions

Page 4 – Operations & Hospitalizations

Page 5 – Family History

Emergency Point of Contact(s):

Husband: Hubby's full name Name, Home Phone #, Hubbys Work #: , Hubby's Emplyment status/Employer, Name of Hubbys Company; City and State

Daughter: Daughters full name here, Cell Phone #, Dughters address

Primary Insurance:

Name of Primary Insurance Company Here along with their web site, For questions about enrollment, eligibility, benefits, authorizations and claims.

Call: Their phone number here

Dates and times to reach them: monday - friday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. All u.s. Time zones, call center hours of service from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. across all West Region time zones.

Primary Care Physician:

Dr's Name here

Medical Hospital or providers address

Phone number

Page 2 – Current Medications; Medication & Non Medication Allergies

Current Medications:

Daily Medications Dosage

Name of each medication, dosage and how often you take it, and when

(For Example)

Aspirin 50 mg 1 tablet daily at night

!!! MEDICATION ALLERGIES !!!

List each medication allergy separately and the reaction to it/them and if and when you were diagnosed with the allergy.

!!! OTHER MAJOR ALLERGIES !!!

ALL ALLERGIES NOT covered by medication, i.e., food, liquids...

Page 3 – Medical Conditions

Current Medical Conditions:

List each and every condition from the earliest to the most current and include Dr who diagnosed it, when and any medication or treatment being used to treat it.

Page 4 – Operations & Hospitalizations

Operations & Hospitalizations:

List them by date starting with the earliest to most recent, giving dates and results

Page 5 – Family History

Family Medical History

Give complete as history as you can listing from siblings, parents and grandparents. If they died from an illness list that also.

Like I said, mine is 4 pages long but it is a complete list and I always have current ones I carry with me to give to the hospital or any new doctor I am seeing and an extra on my refrigerator for the Para Medics if they have to come to my home and one in my purse at all times.

Joanie

A little more info- I am disabled by legal definitions, and my mobility is still good most of the time. Of course, that could change in a split second and has. I have gone from walking well to full blown vertigo which has happened twice due to brain mets. Just wondering how much info I need to disclose to the cruise line. I'm private by nature.

You are not required to disclose any pre-existing conditions and or that you are disabled by definition to the any cruise lines. Also since you have already stated that you're private by nature, personally DO NOT RECOMMEND dropping off any health information to the Medical Dept./Infirmary after boarding as previously suggested by IRL Joanie as again it's none of their business and you're not certain what the cruise line does with that information. It's been stated somewhere on CC that when a passenger does gives any information to the medical infirmary even if a medical need did not have to be addressed that information is documented and remains in the cruise line records.

There was one poster about a year ago or so that advised that having made various trips to the ship's infirmary on several cruise ships within a specific line that on board Doctor band her from cruising that line based on all the previous information documented from pass visits to the infirmary.

Remember there's only one cruise ship that sails that is registered to USA and sails under the USA Flag that being NCL's Pride of America. All others sail under foreign registry and a foreign flag therefore there is no certainly that HIPPA Laws may apply if you are a USA citizen.

If you are concerned about the possibility of an event would occur that may require a visit to the infirmary suggest using a medic alert bracelet and or chain that can contain the information but do not recommend volunteering information before anything occurs.

Only if you need accommodation for it. If they don't need to provide anything, there's no need for them to know, IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No medical information is required to be disclosed even if booking an accessible cabin. Rather in an attempt to prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins , cruise lines are now requiring that the person seeking an accessible cabin certifies that they have a mobility disability or a disability ( details of which are not required to be disclosed) that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin. Certifying need does not mean that any medical information has to be disclosed.

I see that we have see that we may have some responding that are unfortunate enough to be classified as “handicap” however apparently do not suffer from any life threatening condition. If you have any conditions that could be problematic, I would highly recommend that you travel with your medical history. And if you are not sure as to just what information you should carry, ask your doctor. Your doctor will most likely be thinking of your health, not some phony privacy issues. Joanie is absolutely correct, she is protecting herself and I applaud her for doing so.

All the ships have a lot more important things than to pry into somebody's private life. Also, I doubt very much that anyone within the cruise lines gets a thrill reading medical history. In my personal opinion, the majority that use the excuse of “privacy” in reference to medical conditions are hiding the truth. Rant and rave all you want, you will not change my opinion.

Betty

I highly recommend you travel with your medical information BUT give it out only if needed. Why would i want to tell total strangers all about me if I never see them again?? Just kinda creepy in my opinion to tell some total stranger all about me when they have no need to know. IMHO

If something happens hubby has all that info with him in our suitcases he can hand it over to them if they need it.

and Betty - I am sorry but your post was bordering on rude and condescending. To insist that privacy means hiding is ridiculous and to quote "handicap" and then state life threatening well..yes bordering on rude.

Many types of disabilities exist such as physical, sensory, cognitive, psychiatric, and health-related. You have heard the saying "no two snow flakes are alike" well that saying holds true for the disabled. Each one is unique in their disability and in how they deal with it.

You are comfortable shouting to the world what is wrong with you. I am not. Does not mean I am a fake or I am hiding things. It could mean different things, 14 years ago when they told me I was sick, I TOLD NO ONE! "I was learning to accept and deal with it" took me SIX years before I started telling people what was wrong with me. Took me until two years ago when they changed my Diagnosis to primary progressive that i even started to carry medical info.

So rant over I already know "nothing will change your mind."

To the OP - carry you medical info with you, be sure your traveling companion knows where to find that medical info and keep it updated. I carry medical info with us even when in the car, a trip to Disney etc. Will save my hubby alot of time to just hand it over and then any medical personnel will KNOW it is current and correct.

Firerunner - Since you have not previously posted on this particular thread, I am assuming that you would realize that my comments were not directed at you in any aspect.

Yes, I realize that my comments were very blunt. There happens to be a group that are constantly indicating that no one has to tell the cruise lines anything because it is private. To even suggest that someone leave crucial medical information at home is morally wrong. Who the person with the medical condition wishes to share the information is strictly up to that individual. However, I strongly feel that person should have that information available for their own safety. Further, if they have a life threatening condition, make the medical facilities on board aware of the condition. The time it would take to retrieve the information might just save a life.

Contrary to what the individuals that maintain they do not have to tell the cruise ships, the cruise lines can demand certain information if they feel the person is at risk or in danger. In my case, they did not want the documents, they just demanded that I had them in my possession before I boarded the ship. I also had to have the documents available for both airlines I used on that trip. As I have repeatedly mentioned, the cruise lines does not want any nonessential information. However, they would appreciate any information that would make the cruise a safe haven for everyone including those reluctant to provide same. Sharing information with everyone; no way. Nor does the cruise lines share the information.

Betty

Firerunner - Since you have not previously posted on this particular thread, I am assuming that you would realize that my comments were not directed at you in any aspect.

Yes, I realize that my comments were very blunt. There happens to be a group that are constantly indicating that no one has to tell the cruise lines anything because it is private. To even suggest that someone leave crucial medical information at home is morally wrong. Who the person with the medical condition wishes to share the information is strictly up to that individual. However, I strongly feel that person should have that information available for their own safety. Further, if they have a life threatening condition, make the medical facilities on board aware of the condition. The time it would take to retrieve the information might just save a life.

Contrary to what the individuals that maintain they do not have to tell the cruise ships, the cruise lines can demand certain information if they feel the person is at risk or in danger. In my case, they did not want the documents, they just demanded that I had them in my possession before I boarded the ship. I also had to have the documents available for both airlines I used on that trip. As I have repeatedly mentioned, the cruise lines does not want any nonessential information. However, they would appreciate any information that would make the cruise a safe haven for everyone including those reluctant to provide same. Sharing information with everyone; no way. Nor does the cruise lines share the information.

Betty

Ohh Absolutely Betty I know it was not directed at me but it just sort of rubbed me wrong as if you were down playing the "handicap." The joy of online text it is hard to decipher emotions and feelings.

And yes I do agree, take your medical information with you. Give it out if needed. I know when I go on a land vacation (my home in Canada has a pop of 4000) I do not immediately run to the hospital; and say look look this is what is wrong with me..BUT I do carry it and everyone travelling with me..knows where to find it.

To me that is common sense. If something ever happened to me, I think my husband would be too upset to say well she takes this and this and this..carrying the info with you means security. IMHO.

Anyways no offense taken have a great night

woot woot only 76 more days!!

I see that we have see that we may have some responding that are unfortunate enough to be classified as “handicap” however apparently do not suffer from any life threatening condition. If you have any conditions that could be problematic, I would highly recommend that you travel with your medical history. And if you are not sure as to just what information you should carry, ask your doctor. Your doctor will most likely be thinking of your health, not some phony privacy issues. Joanie is absolutely correct, she is protecting herself and I applaud her for doing so.

All the ships have a lot more important things than to pry into somebody's private life. Also, I doubt very much that anyone within the cruise lines gets a thrill reading medical history. In my personal opinion, the majority that use the excuse of “privacy” in reference to medical conditions are hiding the truth. Rant and rave all you want, you will not change my opinion.

Betty

Betty, thank you for your support:) Definitely appreciated!!

Now for those thinking that Medic Alerts are the save all for everyone, keep this in mind. Medic Alerts, at least in the lower 48, are only covered in the lower 48 and 50 miles above the US/Canadian borders and 50 miles south of the US/Mexico borders.

Medic Alerts are also not that great if you do not keep the base unit within 5-6 feet of a window. They can save your life, but when I signed up for it they had to know exactly where the Paramedics/Police could find my medical history.

It was Medic Alert that suggested the Complete Medical History be carried with me at all times, given to any vacation spot, i.e., cruise ship, Resort, etc., where we plan on spending any time, one on my fridge, one on my Computer Desk Top Screen labeled so they cannot be missed as "MEDICAL HISTORY". They also said to keep it updated monthly as things can change, even the tiniest thing...

For those hesitant to do the Medical History ad to provide easy access to that info to the Medical Center on a ship, keep this in mind.....

Are you going to be able to tell your medical history to the medical provider if you are unconncious?

Will the medical provider kill you because they did not know what medication you were on and it reacted badly to what was already in your system?

Just think what a difference it will make to you and/or your family to have the easily accessible medical history in the case of an emergency.

I look at it this way: I want to live. I do not trust hubby or anyone else to remember all the medications I am on. I do not trust them to know what diseases my mother, father, siblings or grandparents died from.... It is up to me to keep all medical personnel aware of my history so they do not put my life in jeopardy.

Joanie

Ohh Absolutely Betty I know it was not directed at me but it just sort of rubbed me wrong as if you were down playing the "handicap." The joy of online text it is hard to decipher emotions and feelings.

And yes I do agree, take your medical information with you. Give it out if needed. I know when I go on a land vacation (my home in Canada has a pop of 4000) I do not immediately run to the hospital; and say look look this is what is wrong with me..BUT I do carry it and everyone travelling with me..knows where to find it.

To me that is common sense. If something ever happened to me, I think my husband would be too upset to say well she takes this and this and this..carrying the info with you means security. IMHO.

Anyways no offense taken have a great night

woot woot only 76 more days!!

Not attacking so hope you are not ooffended by this.........

I once thought, many many years ago that hubby would be able to do exactly as you state......NOT!!!

While attending a Fireworks exposition I was stung by multiple Bumble Bees. I am deathly allergic to them and hubby knew that. He also knew I had my Sting kit with me and how to use it. HE FROZE!!! He could do nothing but stare at me like a deer into headlights:( Thankfully the Assistant Fire Chief saw what was happening and grabbed me into his arms and yelled for hubby to go to the Canandaigua Emergency room and meet us there. If he had not been there, I would have died!!

Even today, he cannot tell you what meds I take, how often or for what they are all for. He cannot tell you when I had my right ovary removed (mention that because to a woman having some signs might mean a ruptured one).....etc., etc.

No matter how we think we or our spouse will react, be prepared for the opposite.

Joanie

Betty, thank you for your support:) Definitely appreciated!!

Now for those thinking that Medic Alerts are the save all for everyone, keep this in mind. Medic Alerts, at least in the lower 48, are only covered in the lower 48 and 50 miles above the US/Canadian borders and 50 miles south of the US/Mexico borders.

Medic Alerts are also not that great if you do not keep the base unit within 5-6 feet of a window. They can save your life, but when I signed up for it they had to know exactly where the Paramedics/Police could find my medical history.

It was Medic Alert that suggested the Complete Medical History be carried with me at all times, given to any vacation spot, i.e., cruise ship, Resort, etc., where we plan on spending any time, one on my fridge, one on my Computer Desk Top Screen labeled so they cannot be missed as "MEDICAL HISTORY". They also said to keep it updated monthly as things can change, even the tiniest thing...

With all due respect the Medic Alert Bracket and or Chain that I referred is not the same that you reference in your post. Medic Alert Bracelets and Chains can be purchased at any local pharmacy or purchased on line. They do NOT require a home base unit nor are they limited to just the contiguous 48 states and can be used world wide.

Check the following links :

http://www.medicalert.org/

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/medical-bracelets/ID=362533-tier3

With all due respect the Medic Alert Bracket and or Chain that I referred is not the same that you are thinking of Medic Alert Bracelets and Chains can be purchase at any local pharmacy or purchased on line. They do NOT require a home base or computer nor is it limited to just 48 states.

Check the following links :

http://www.medicalert.org/

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/medical-bracelets/ID=362533-tier3

The Bracelets and Necklaces are not big enough for all my allergies and info. You have to stop and think that some of us have multiple allergies, not only to meds, inactive binders in meds and common everyday items. Heck I would need a dozen or more necklaces and/or bracelets......

Joanie

The Bracelets and Necklaces are not big enough for all my allergies and info. You have to stop and think that some of us have multiple allergies, not only to meds, inactive binders in meds and common everyday items. Heck I would need a dozen or more necklaces and/or bracelets......

Joanie

There are also Digital Medic Alert Bracelets and Medic Alert bracelets with a flash drive which would work for your situation . One of my friends has the Flash Drive type and found it to work very well while traveling alone she ended up in the emergency room. Here's the link

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Medical-ID-Bracelet/10097633

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044YQ6K6

Are you going to be able to tell your medical history to the medical provider if you you are unconscious?

Will the medical provider kill you because they did not know what medication you were on and it reacted badly to what was already in your system?

Just think what a difference it will make to you and/or your family to have the easily accessible medical history in the case of an emergency.

I look at it this way: I want to live. I do not trust hubby or anyone else to remember all the medications I am on. I do not trust them to know what diseases my mother, father, siblings or grandparents died from.... It is up to me to keep all medical personnel aware of my history so they do not put my life in jeopardy.

Joanie[/b][/color][/size][/font]

Thank you so much for this. As an NP who works in an ED I cannot tell you how many people say "I don't know. My PCP does." Well, it is generally Friday night of a three day weekend!!!!

I don't think the onboard medical staff needs to know about your medical condition unless they are going to need to get involved but it behooves us to carry our info with us. Those of us with chronic illnesses also need to weigh the risk of traveling and carry travel insurance.

There are also Digital Medic Alert Bracelets and Medic Alert bracelets with a flash drive which would work for your situation . One of my friends has the Flash Drive type and found it to work very well while traveling alone she ended up in the emergency room. Here's the link

Sorry but not even a thought to the digital flash drive. Aint no way, no how that any of my Doctors or any other medical provider that I use would allow a flash drive to be inserted and read onto their syustem. Talk about how computer viruses are spread...

You can be proactive, inactive or non active, whatever suits you and your family. Me, I prefer to be proactive and live knowing that I have all my bases covered in the case of an emergency.

In case of my health and immediate medical attention, to Hades with Privacy. Privacy will not help me if I am dieing and the docs cannot treat me correctly.

Joanie

Absolutely! I have a son with more medical alerts than can ever be gotten on a bracelet or amulet - and life-threatening -yet he lives a normal life and travels when he can (he has great insurance, LOL). Last year he became very ill in San Diego, and thank god for all the info he carried on him.

Right now, DH can get away with the bracelet, but the day will come.....

Medic Alert should not be confused with a Life Line.

Joanie go back and read my post sheesh talk about taking it wrong.

MY POST states "If something ever happened to me, I think my husband would be too upset to say well she takes this and this and this..carrying the info with you<--see carry the info with you SEE!!!

I'm sorry but do you go on a land vacation and as soon as you hit the city/town run to the hospital and say here here read this??????

Of course you don't.

You depend on someone you trust to HAVE your medical information and pass it along to any medical personnel.

Sorry but not even a thought to the digital flash drive. Aint no way, no how that any of my Doctors or any other medical provider that I use would allow a flash drive to be inserted and read onto their syustem. Talk about how computer viruses are spread...

You can be proactive, inactive or non active, whatever suits you and your family. Me, I prefer to be proactive and live knowing that I have all my bases covered in the case of an emergency.

In case of my health and immediate medical attention, to Hades with Privacy. Privacy will not help me if I am dieing and the docs cannot treat me correctly.

Joanie

Though you choose to not use a medical flash drive they are very commonly used today. Most everything today is done by electronic transmission . Medical records are now given on computer disks and flash drives. Most medical test results get transferred to your doctor's office by these means so why is using a flash drive medic alert bracelet any more risky than being a given a computer disk or flash from a Doctors office and Hospital ?? Have you asked your doctor if he/she have ever processed such a flash drive ? Most doctor's office will even transfer the medical records directly onto the Flash drive for you.

No one on this thread has stated or implied that they're not proactive... including me! Just because the general consensus of this thread is that we do not rush to the cruise ships infirmary to freely volunteer all our medical information in the possibility of an emergency that may never occur does not mean we have not taken proactive measures to have that information readily available.

To quote Firerunner " do you go on a land vacation and as soon as you hit the city/town run to the hospital and say here read this?????? Of course you don't."

With all due respect think you need to be less judgmental and more tolerable of how others choose to "PROACTIVELY" manage their medical information in the event of an emergency.

Though you choose to not use a medical flash drive they are very commonly used today. Most everything today is done by electronic transmission . Medical records are now given on computer disks and flash drives. Most medical test results get transferred to your doctor's office by these means so why is using a flash drive medic alert bracelet any more risky than being a given a computer disk or flash from a Doctors office and Hospital ?? Have you asked your doctor if he/she have ever processed such a flash drive ? Most doctor's office will even transfer the medical records directly onto the Flash drive for you.

No one on this thread has stated or implied that they're not proactive... including me! Just because the general consensus of this thread is that we do not rush to the cruise ships infirmary to freely volunteer all our medical information in the possibility of an emergency that may never occur does not mean we have not taken proactive measures to have that information readily available.

To quote Firerunner " do you go on a land vacation and as soon as you hit the city/town run to the hospital and say here read this?????? Of course you don't."

With all due respect think you need to be less judgmental and more tolerable of how others choose to "PROACTIVELY" manage their medical information in the event of an emergency.

I entirely agree. Because my son's heart defects, subsequent repairs and many complications are something most cardiologists these days are unfamiliar with (I will be sooo glad when he gets his transplant!), the cardiologists in San Diego said how thankful they were that he had the flash drive with all the info they needed on it, including 24-hour phone numbers to his heart team in Canada. If this had been on paper, they would have wasted so much time wading through it all, trying to read. They were able to quickly access all his records, and Xray films, and quickly identify his allergies and antibodies prior to blood transfusions. That's proactive.

Since I no longer do land vacations I have no need to answer that scenario:) But I am proactive when it comes to my medical history being at the fingertips immediately upon my boarding a cruise ship just in case. That to me is being praoactive.

To each their own and that is what makes this a great world:)

Have a nice day:)

Joanie

Not attacking so hope you are not ooffended by this.........

I once thought, many many years ago that hubby would be able to do exactly as you state......NOT!!!

While attending a Fireworks exposition I was stung by multiple Bumble Bees. I am deathly allergic to them and hubby knew that. He also knew I had my Sting kit with me and how to use it. HE FROZE!!! He could do nothing but stare at me like a deer into headlights:( Thankfully the Assistant Fire Chief saw what was happening and grabbed me into his arms and yelled for hubby to go to the Canandaigua Emergency room and meet us there. If he had not been there, I would have died!!

Even today, he cannot tell you what meds I take, how often or for what they are all for. He cannot tell you when I had my right ovary removed (mention that because to a woman having some signs might mean a ruptured one).....etc., etc.

No matter how we think we or our spouse will react, be prepared for the opposite.

Joanie

Jonie you are so right, I always carry my medical history with me every where we go, I am a diabetic, I have chronic Animia and I take med's for both, I can tell when my sugar gets to low or to high but my DH does not know or would not be able to tell if I am a sleep and slip into coma. He does know how to check my blood sugar and I would think he would know what to do in the event. But then again he may panic and not know what to do. So I made a list of things to do just in case and I carry it in a note book that I carry with me everywhere I go. It has a list of meds I take and what to do in the event of something was to happen, I had a full knee replacement back in Oct. 2012, it has not healed right and I am partially wheel chair bound meaning I can not walk to far and I can not stand long periods of time the Dr. last listed me as permantly disabled. I am at what they call Max healing. Meaning I will not get any better, With that being said I will always for the rest of my life walk with a limb and have a bent leg for the rest of my life. I am only 42 years old and I got my injury from my Job, Driving a school bus. I have had 10 surgeries on my knee. I have accepted that and I have a wonderful husband that does not mind pushing me in a wheel chair. I have permanent restrictions like can not climb stairs, can not crawl, can not squat, can not kneel, can not stand for more then 15 min, can not sit for more then 1 hour at a time, I don't mind telling all of this because I have accepted it, it took me a min to accept it but now that I have, I have no problem telling what is wrong with me because it is something that I have to accept and Yes because I am so young in age I get looked at like "Why the heck is she in a wheel chair when there appears to be nothing wrong with her" or I get looks that people give me like I discuss them because they think I am faking it. I have only one thing to say to them, I would gladly give them my health issues over a good health any day, I would love to be able to walk, run, jog, ride a bike, or drive my car for that matter. I can not even do that. So sorry I got off track, But you are so right about the better half freaking out and forgetting what meds we take or what surgeries we have had only because they panic and do not know what to do when something happens to the one they love. Again I am sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make a statement. :)

Archived