Curious - how many

mariner

The one time we tried to sail Carnival, we boarded the then brand new Destiny many hours late at something like 2 A.M. When we woke the next morning we learned the ship never sailed. I've told the whole long story here before but our one attempt at Carnival failed about as badly as possible.

I'm intrigued now ...

Funny thread... :) Not my first, but my second, and third

That was almost 50 cruises ago, as many have said.. We wised up pretty quick :D ( Though to be fair, they weren't the worst cruises we taken since)

Srpilo

Our first cruises were back-to-back on Cunard Countess in the 80's.

That was our second cruise. It was at the time of the Ayatolahh. The TP onboard had his face on the outer wrapper, with some remark. I wonder if I could sell it on Ebay!!

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Millenium and we loved it, then we went on a Costa two years later and it was a total disappointment. Then, I sailed on the wonderful Eurodam and now either Celebrity or HAL are my cruise line preferences.

Never sailed on Carnival. Is it comparable to HAL or Celebrity?

Our first cruise was on Carnival Mardi Gras. That was when Heinikien was $1, and there was a separate room for 120 volt hairdryers and electric rollers. Don't know why I didn't think about a currency converter, but I was not the only one.

Veendam and Volendam were around at that time.

My first ocean voyage was in 1964 on the SS France, but I didn't consider it a cruise, but rather transport to France, where I spent a year and a half. So my first real cruise was on the Carnival Spirit with my son and his family, its first year in existence. I'm from Las Vegas and even I thought it was pretty garish, but we had fun.

A couple of years later I got a flyer from a local TA about HAL. I was intrigued and talked to my SIL, who had been to AK once on Princess. We decided to give it a chance, and as someone else said, we found our home. And we're off to AK once again on the Statendam in Sept. Whee!

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Mardis Gras to the Caribbean in the 70's. I recall that the cabin was small. I also remember that one night the ship was at such an angle due to rough seas that, it was difficult to walk. I remember the waiter handing out Dramamine for dessert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My first cruise was on the Jubilee and was the first and only inside cabin. DW sailed on the Mardi Gras and Carnivale in the early '80s. We still cruise Carnival among others and DW will be doing her 25th cruise on the Legend TA this fall. We enjoy different lines as they all have different things to offer and we partake of what we enjoy and leave the rest of it. Carnival always seem to get a bad rap but they do a lot of things right at a good price and there is "Life after Dark". I never apologize for cruising with Carnival. Actually, the demographics range across the spectrum with kids and lots of seniors also.

Interesting responses.

I took my first (big ship) cruise on Royal Caribbean. I liked it enough to know that I'd like big-ship cruising, but found a much better fit on Carnival for the next several years. Then some things changed with Carnival, making it a less-than-optimal choice these days. I'm one of those folks who has favorites, but isn't married to a particular cruise line.

Not my first cruise, but my third was on Carnival on the Mardi Gras (when I was youngandsingleandgougeous). Good grief but it was fun! :D It was a 3-day cruise to nowhere out of Boston, and I got about 7 hours of sleep total in the three nights.

Got home about 2:00 PM, went to bed, and slept until morning.

First was NCL, second Carnival, third X. We like NCL for the Freestyle. Was on Carnival Legend in July...too many unsupervised kids running amok. Always wanted to go back on Carnival when there were no kids running rampant. May get to do that this January. Had to cancel NCL out of Tampa, our vacation funds went to unexpected bills. The Splendor will cost more than half of what we have up and leaving from close to home.

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

First was NCL, second Carnival, third X. We like NCL for the Freestyle. Was on Carnival Legend in July...too many unsupervised kids running amok. Always wanted to go back on Carnival when there were no kids running rampant. May get to do that this January. Had to cancel NCL out of Tampa, our vacation funds went to unexpected bills. The Splendor will cost more than half of what we have up and leaving from close to home.

Sorry left out RCCL, did them twice didn't like them either time. And should say the Splendor will cost less than half of what we would have paid for NCL not more.

First six cruises were on Sitmar (Fairwind and Fairsea)

I've never taken a Carnival cruise.

OMG! Lucky you to have taken 6 cruises on Sitmar. Our 1st was on Fairwind, hooked us on cruising. Only yesterday, DH & I were bemoaning Sitmar's demise in the late 70s or early 80s. What service! If only they were still around. . .

We have long since stopped comparing other cruise lines to Sitmar. Guess we could anticipate that level of service aboard Crystal, Silversea etc., but passage in the thousands of $$$$ are way beyond our budget. I'm thankful we get to cruise on HAL (inside cabin) at least once a year.

And who knows? If Sitmar were still around today, it may have compromised its service at some point.

Archived