Universal Islands of Adventure excursion price

kangaand2roos

Does anyone know what the cost of the Universal Islands of Adventure excursion from Port Canaveral is? It would be two adult and one child. We would be going mid February. All we really need to do is Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Anything else would be a bonus!

Thank you! I couldn't figure out how to find it on the CCL website.

And YIKES!!

I am debating between a cruise or a Universal trip in February. My daughter is turning 11 in December and thought she'd like to get her Hogwarts letter inviting her to WWHP in Orlando. I was thinking that maybe I could do both by taking an excursion from PC, but I'll have to think through the whole thing!

Yeah, that's pricey for an excursion.

My daughter and I went to Universal Studios soon after the Harry Potter section opened, and while it was fun, it didn't seem like much was there. A few rides and shops. I believe they added one more ride since then.

For reference, I used Google to search, rather than trying Carnival's search, or poking around their interface to find the excursion. No websites can match Google's functions because it is applying some rather enormous and powerful algorithms (Google knows that "brum" is likely a misspelling of "broom," or that "potter," "wizard," and "spell" are all related, or that "universal" and "carnival" should go to the page that I linked to -- while search on Carnival.com or this site or any other website is much more limited in power and resources).

Just so you know...

We've been to Universal several times (had year pass) and I can tell you that the WWHP will be extremely crowded. There are 3 hotels in the area where the room key card can be used as a "fast pass". It also allows guests to enter the park 1 hour before it opens. ALL of those entering early head straight for WWHP (we were in the herd) because the fast pass can not be used for the ride in the castle. Even getting there early, the average wait time for that ride was about 30-45 mins. After normal park opening time, average wait time was 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

If you plan on doing the park on an excursion, just make sure you plan for the wait times.

Price of that excursion is highly inflated, even taking transportation into consideration. If you really want to go, I would just rent a car for a day and then purchase tickets at the gate. But given the time limits of port stops, I typically reccomend taking a separate land based trip to enjoy the parks.

We are brave (or crazy?) Disney maniacs who have made several day trips to Disney Parks from ships docked for a day at Port Canaveral. I give you this info so you know we have enjoyed day trips to major theme parks from cruise ships, utilizing ship excursions, Lincoln Town cars and car rentals.

We have also stayed on property at Universal Orlando just to visit Harry Potter. We were there for three days and we attempted Harry-land three times. We came out frustrated each time, even on the days we arrived before opening. It is sooo crowded and sooo small. If you can enjoy the rest of Universal without making it onto Forbidden Journey then you might want to try it. If Forbidden Journey is your primary goal, I would not even attempt it. The rest of Potter-land is not worth the money, the endurance test it turns into, or the time.

I did this excursion last January from the Pride. Sole reason was to see the castle, etc. Instructions were to go there first - think we arrived around 8:30 or 9. Line was not bad for castle ride as kept moving the whole way. But when I got out of the castle, that section of the park was mobbed. Not as big as I anticipated. But still enjoyable for a Harry Potter fan. Would guess that February would be same (unless President's weekend).

We are brave (or crazy?) Disney maniacs who have made several day trips to Disney Parks from ships docked for a day at Port Canaveral. I give you this info so you know we have enjoyed day trips to major theme parks from cruise ships, utilizing ship excursions, Lincoln Town cars and car rentals.

We have also stayed on property at Universal Orlando just to visit Harry Potter. We were there for three days and we attempted Harry-land three times. We came out frustrated each time, even on the days we arrived before opening. It is sooo crowded and sooo small. If you can enjoy the rest of Universal without making it onto Forbidden Journey then you might want to try it. If Forbidden Journey is your primary goal, I would not even attempt it. The rest of Potter-land is not worth the money, the endurance test it turns into, or the time.

We are rabid Disney fans and usually go at least a couple of times a year, but haven't been to Universal because at this point it would be just for WWHP. (And we have had Disney Annual Passes so it was hard to spend the extra money) Annika and I are HUGE HP fans and because it is her 11th bday (when Harry gets his letter) I thought it would be fun. If we do a land vacation, we will likely stay at one of Universal's hotels because of the advantage one gains staying there. That was my plan until I saw the prices for a cruise out of Baltimore and for the price of 3 or 4 nights at the hotel (never mind park tickets, food, or airline tickets) we could do a seven night cruise and take my son as well! It seems a no brained to do the cruise and wait a few years to do WWHP...

If we go,it will be the week before presidents weekend,so possibly busy for February.

consider that universal costs about 90 pp to get in its about 45 minute bus ride in good traffic. you arrive right before the park opens and picks you back up about 4pm. we did sea world one trip and disney the next trip. after touring the park all day do you really want tomdrive back to the ship. its relaxing letting some one else do the driving

Having been to universal several times since Harry potter area opened I can say that even in off times of the year that area is packed. IMO it was poorly designed. When you get to the area when the castle ride is you are forced to turn around to go back to get out. Because there is no way out in that section it causes major congestion to the point where you can hardly move there are so many people. And it is a tiny area to begin with. I believe an expansion opens sometime next year.

However one tip that won't apply if doing this as an excursion, is to head to the area at night right before the park closes. The crowds are moving towards the front of the park by this point so the area is relatively people free. I got a lot of great night time shots without tons of people by doing this.

Just found these pics. They were taken an hour before the park normally opens. What you can't see in the 2nd pic is the line behind

the castle that zigzags back and forth outside and then though it to get to the ride itself. Once you actually get inside, there is stuff to entertain you until it's your turn. You will also have to 1st put your belongings into one of the lockers there which is free for an hour

I believe. The Dueling Dragons roller coaster (2 going simultaneously) is located before the castle and is also fun. :

162689_174127379275992_2342110_n.jpg

47621_174127412609322_245427_n.jpg

Universal Orlando is our favorite place in the world! We have been the last 4 years in a row and plan on going again next year and pairing it with a cruise after. I highly recommend doing it separately as it takes a good 3 to 4 days to see and experience EVERYTHING at both islands of adventure and Universal Studios. For more info go to http://www.orlandoinformer.com

A day pass for Universal or Islands is just under $100 per person (add like another $50 for the two park hopper) and that's the FL resident rate. Tolls from Cape Canaveral to Universal via the East West/528 route will cost you at least $10. A "fast pass" to get you to the front of the line for rides (just once per ride) is $50. And if you thought the beer was expensive on the ship, :-)

Like others have said, I would not try to do cruise and day at Universal. Too much to do in one day when you are staying at the park resorts. And remember there are two parks. Universal Studios AND Islands of Adventure.

Finally, never buy the single day fast pass when/if you go to Universal. ALWAYS stay on property. You get an unlimited Fast Pass. You want to ride the Hulk 27 times and scramble your noggin, go for it. Down side is you cannot use the fast pass for Harry Potter. You can for the new Transformers ride and now finally for the Rip Ride rocket thing at Universal.

Enjoy your holiday, whichever you choose. :-)

If you do do this trip, go to the single rider line for the castle ride. It is too the left before you get to the main line, or once you are in the main line it is too the left up a few steps and thru a door. You cannot see each other on the ride anyway and you will be right behind each other. Also, if you are on the larger side, the seats on the ends allow more room. The ride is a cool concept but something is wrong and the movie being shown which is very important to the ride is blurry.

You will not see the whole castle if you do the single rider line, but we (6 people) rode the ride 3 times in one hour using it.

I don't think it's a very good option to do it as a cruise stop. It would be very expensive (no matter how you did it) for very little time at a crowded place. Limited time in port, plus the drive to & from, leaving time for possible delays getting back. I wouldn't want to do that.

We went to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure in mid-November 2011 as a land-based thing. The timing was perfect, between the Northeast's fall break & Thanksgiving. It was not very crowded at all. We still bought a 3-day pass for around $160pp, and we needed every day to enjoy both parks fully. On our 2nd day, we went to Islands & headed straight for Harry Potter. We wound up riding it over 10 times over 2 days, only one time having longer than a 15-minute wait. The 25-mile long maze of things that you go through leading up to the ride was almost completely empty, but the places are clearly set up for there to be lines throughout the whole thing. I don't know if February would have as much luck as we did with mid-November. We were there on a Tue & Wed (11/15, 11/16). We heard that the previous week was insane, but our week was great.

By the way, Harry Potter is not the only great thing at Islands of Adventure. The whole Jurassic Park area is great, although the ride is just a log ride with dinosaurs. The non-dueling dragons roller coaster is fun, as is the big one in the front of the park. The Spiderman simulator ride is amazing! Also, Universal Studios has so many great rides & attractions. I love Terminator & the Simpsons. For a time that's not crowded like we had, 2 entire days would be enough to see everything at both parks, 3 days to not be rushed. At a busy time, you would need more days.

We have Annual Passes for Disney and Universal. The week before President's Day is not a very busy time of year. If you go in the morning, you should be good.

You could also rent a car for the day and drive yourself. Of course, then you need to factor in that cost (probably $30 or so?), gas (about 125 miles round trip), tolls, parking ($15)...so while $350 for two is slightly inflated, it's not by a whole heck of a lot considering one day passes will cost $100.

We have Annual Passes for Disney and Universal. The week before President's Day is not a very busy time of year. If you go in the morning, you should be good.

You could also rent a car for the day and drive yourself. Of course, then you need to factor in that cost (probably $30 or so?), gas (about 125 miles round trip), tolls, parking ($15)...so while $350 for two is slightly inflated, it's not by a whole heck of a lot considering one day passes will cost $100.

PLUS add in the time it will take to get the car, return the car too.

PLUS add in the time it will take to get the car, return the car too.

True, when you are talking about two or three persons, but when you are talking about four, five, or more people, the savings are significant and worth the extra time and hassle!!!

We also looked at doing this during our cruise in December and opted against spending $173pp for what would end up being 2 or 3 rides as no doubt the park will be very busy as it's the week leading up to Christmas....just not worth it. My friend has a villa in Orlando and we will probably do a 2 week vacation where we can visit during school days and have time to enjoy the experience.

We are rabid Disney fans and usually go at least a couple of times a year, but haven't been to Universal because at this point it would be just for WWHP. (And we have had Disney Annual Passes so it was hard to spend the extra money) Annika and I are HUGE HP fans and because it is her 11th bday (when Harry gets his letter) I thought it would be fun. If we do a land vacation, we will likely stay at one of Universal's hotels because of the advantage one gains staying there. That was my plan until I saw the prices for a cruise out of Baltimore and for the price of 3 or 4 nights at the hotel (never mind park tickets, food, or airline tickets) we could do a seven night cruise and take my son as well! It seems a no brained to do the cruise and wait a few years to do WWHP...

If we go,it will be the week before presidents weekend,so possibly busy for February.

Kangaand2roos,

You sound like us. Our daughter is a huge HP fan. So is my DH, her father. She and her friends, now at a VERY expensive college in the northeast, still sit and read HP on a fairly regular basis. When we decided to visit Universal to experience HP, we stayed at Portofino Bay (I had gotten a good deal ($259/nt.- we LOVE that hotel.) and were entitled to early admission. I think we came away somewhat disappointed and found ourselves taking a cab to Disney!

Our last Disney excursion from a ship (EPCOT), was last January from RCCL's Explorer from Bayonne. The bus ride was great and our guide was very pleasant and informative. I do not know if it is the company that Carnival is using. My husband and I will be getting off Splendor this November and doing MK all by ourselves with the Carnival excursion. I can let you know then.

We are taking Emily back to Disney on January 4 for six nights. (Art of Animation Suite-Nemo ($311./night- EM's choice.) She does not want to go back to Universal. Maybe that speaks volumes. She does not want to try Universal again and this kid went to a week-long Potter conference at U Penn when she was 14.

Anyhow, if I remember correctly HP-land at Universal is a long walk from where you will be dropped off by the bus. The line at Forbidden is likely to be long, BUT it is a roll of the dice. You may win one and crowds will be minimal. I certainly understand your wanting to try.

It is expensive stuff, but it sounds to me that it is important to you to try. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky! You might want to take a look at historic crowds that week. Some might disagree and they are certainly entitled, but I think Potter-land is not effectively designed.

The only thing you lose by trying is the money and the child is only 11 once. On the other hand- Em's college this year is $53,000! I just paid her fall tuition so I am having issues.

Oh heck...... In my mind...... only being 11 once is the most important factor.

Now I am rambling........Whatever you decide, enjoy being a family.

Gina

Archived