quest spa suites, looking for first hand info.

babecushing

in the last week we have realized that we have some time to take a trip in the near future. we have looked at a quest itinerary and are thinking of booking a spa suite. i am aware that there is another thread from june about this but i am looking for a first hand account of staying in these units. i have read opinions and thoughts on this subject in general and seen the publicity shots but certainly somebody has cruised in these suites and has pictures they have taken themselves or real life pro/con advice to give about the situation. thank you in advance for helpful empirical information.

I have recently stayed in 1092,

Pro's:

Larger than a standard PH

The balcony is expansive and well furnished and the views are fantastic.

Oversized walk in shower and roll top bath.

Spa extras such as herbal teas and special healthy treats are very nice.

Access to the spa serene area.

Cons:

The biggest negative is that the balcony gets covered in soot making it virtually unusable, we tried to eat on the balcony twice and both times had to abandon it as we got soot in our food. Sunbathing meant black spots appearing on your skin almost immediately and on more than one occasion I had to change a shirt because I lent in the ballast rail and the soot marked my shirt.

Because the suite is high and so far back it moves quite a lot and vibrates when under sail.

Access is via a spiral staircase which can be a bit hairy late at might after a drink or too especially in a moving sea.

No jacuzzi in the bath like other PH suites.

Any specific questions just ask.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Choose a suite on either end. 1090 if you are a non smoker, 1093 if smoke does not bother you. 1091 and 1092 are laid out a bit differently.

Versus a PH, it's the views and veranda space that puts spa on top.

PH closet wins. Also, the fit and finish leaves something to be desired in the spa suite. Design wise, it's a winner.

Hi.

Your input is very much appreciated. All sounds good until...the soot. If being outside is a dirty mess then I am very disappointed. All the rest is reasonably okay but if the veranda is almost unusable then what is to be gained? I am quite disappointed to learn of this however I was drawn by the privacy and space aspect. Is there no fix on this regarding an extension of an awning like structure or would the wind just swirl and still make the soot unavoidable? If this is the case, would not this problem have turned up earlier when the spa enclosure situation were on this level? On a personal level, did you feel this a poor choice of cabin and would a regular penthouse be better? Thank you for your time and thoughts.

P.s do you have any snaps that I may see regarding the suite?

Thank you for your advice regarding spa suite. Smoke is not a bother to us so no problem there. Thank you for suggesting side units, is it true they have a side bedroom window? Concepts show that but uncertain as to the reality. Jrmuk says there is a considerable soot issue. Have you occupied these suites and can confirm that? it is important to me to know that advice is coming from people that have cruised in these units. Do you experience significant motion or vibration here and if so were you outside the Mediterranean ?

The ship has not been outside the Med since dry dock. Of course there is more motion, but we enjoy that aspect. Yes, there is a window in bedroom that really adds a lot to the experience. Soot exists, but not to the extent (for us) described earlier. I know the previous poster must have screamed about it because we were told by shipboard personnel that they are aware of the problem and trying to find a solution. We did not bring up the subject.

Spa suites will not appeal to everyone that would normally book PH. Part of the attraction was to occupy while new.

There has always been soot at the back on the spa decks of all three ships with this design.

Before the suites were there, the sun loungers would get soot on them and you had to be careful if you were sun bathing to clear the lounger before you laid on it.I do not think that this can be fixed unless you put a cover over the suite balcony but that would defeat the object if you booked the suite to spend a lot of time sunbathing on the balcony

Edited by Mr Luxury

The ship has not been outside the Med since dry dock. Of course there is more motion, but we enjoy that aspect. Yes, there is a window in bedroom that really adds a lot to the experience. Soot exists, but not to the extent (for us) described earlier. I know the previous poster must have screamed about it because we were told by shipboard personnel that they are aware of the problem and trying to find a solution. We did not bring up the subject.

Spa suites will not appeal to everyone that would normally book PH. Part of the attraction was to occupy while new.

This is the attitude that spoils this forum.

Someone asks for first hand experience and when you give it you are accused of SCREAMING

I mentioned the soot problem because it exists.

Seabourn are aware of the problem and are looking to fit a retractable canopy but I'm not sure how soon that will be.

Personally I prefer the centre suites as the balcony is must bigger and the side window in the bedroom looked to only have a flimsy blind whereas I prefer total blackout in my bedroom, just my personal preference though.

I hand lots of photos of the suite and so if you want to see them post your email and i'll forward them to you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

thank you jrmuk. i would love to see the pictures you have. i don't know how to send you an email address privately so i will use this one which has nothing identifying in it.

jackielips@hotmail.com

alternatively, if the photos are in electronic storage on the internet, i can see them there.

a couple more questions;

-was it awkward having a spa attendant/concierge/whatever watching your movements as that is the only access point? is it intrusive?

-is the bed in a boxed area as it is with regular ph suites or is there a more open plan?

-any room service or room attendant issues as these units are further removed both to the rear and up another flight of stairs?

-soot more of an issue when actually at sea or is it a constant?

again, thank you for your help and input as well as the other posters.

thank you jrmuk. i would love to see the pictures you have. i don't know how to send you an email address privately so i will use this one which has nothing identifying in it.

jackielips@hotmail.com

alternatively, if the photos are in electronic storage on the internet, i can see them there.

a couple more questions;

-was it awkward having a spa attendant/concierge/whatever watching your movements as that is the only access point? is it intrusive?

-is the bed in a boxed area as it is with regular ph suites or is there a more open plan?

-any room service or room attendant issues as these units are further removed both to the rear and up another flight of stairs?

-soot more of an issue when actually at sea or is it a constant?

again, thank you for your help and input as well as the other posters.

I've emailed the photos.

In answer to your questions:

We got to know the spa reception quite well, they were always very friendly and had learnt our names almost instantly and so we were always greeted and asked how we were - not awkward at all for us.

The bedroom is actually boxed in slightly better than a standard PH as the back wall of the bedroom is the walk-in wardrobe so the room was perfectly sound proofed, one other small issue we noticed was that to get the bedroom cool the rest of the suite was like an ice box, and I mean literally because almost all of the flow from the ac goes into the main living room.

The room service and housekeeping were fantastic, Lusel, our room attendant, kept the room immaculately and was always very chatty.

The soot was worse at sea as the wind meant the soot was blown onto the balcony, also at sea there are more engines running so more soot. We had one day in port when the wind was blowing from the stern and the balcony was almost soot free, the rest of the cruise it was there constantly, we overheard the staff captain on out neighbors balcony and they were very upset indeed. I know that everyone who had stayed in our suite before us had complained, and lets be honest, why wouldn't you, you pay a tidy supplement for this suite with the main advantage being the fabulous balcony but when it is somewhat spoilt (not totally) you are within your rights to complain. Personally I didn't allow it to spoil my cruise, which overall was fantastic, but it was a little disappointing to not be able to have at least one room service dinner on the balcony

hi jrmuk,

thank you for the photos and your first hand experience. we have made our booking with our agent and are happy with that. a personal reply has been sent to your email. perhaps obviously, i could not find any independent photos of the suite on the internet which i thought was a bit strange. maybe you would consider posting them so that others will see what they are buying into. anyway, thanks again and happy travels.

• 1 year later...
Choose a suite on either end. 1090 if you are a non smoker, 1093 if smoke does not bother you. 1091 and 1092 are laid out a bit differently.

Versus a PH, it's the views and veranda space that puts spa on top.

PH closet wins. Also, the fit and finish leaves something to be desired in the spa suite. Design wise, it's a winner.

Looking for insight on that comment? Thanks in advance.

Looking for insight on that comment? Thanks in advance.[/QUOT

Only issue with smoke is if your neighbor smokes. The spa suites are above the deck for the spa so no smokers there.

Possibly, however the poster suggested that 1090 is a better location for a non-smoker; I am wondering why 1090 was specifically noted.

Possibly, however the poster suggested that 1090 is a better location for a non-smoker; I am wondering why 1090 was specifically noted.

Stayed middle only but visited all three of our neighbors. We all talked about our suites and no indication anyone had any probLems with smoke or anything.

• 2 weeks later...