How I Saved $300 on a Carnival Cruise

CENTEX CRUISER

I hope you don't think I am conniving , or whatever, but this is how I reduced our final by $300 on one of our booked cruises. Wife and I are both signed up for Carnival e-mails, so a while back, we both got offers for $100 gift cards if we signed up for Carnival Mastercards. So we did, got the cards, and about a month later, both received Carnival $100 e cards. I went to our booking, selected Make a Payment, use gift card,and that dropped the final by $200 after applying both cards. The with each credit card I made a $10 purchase , which gives you 5000 bonus points for your first use..So then I go back to my booking and make a $100 payment towards our final with both credit cards, no big deal as I will have to pay it off sooner or later. Then, finally, I redeem my 5000 points on each credit card for $50 statement credit, thus saving the $300 total. I have a Visa that has better rewards, but I may use the Carnival card for Carnival purchases , and get the double points..Just wanted to share this idea, please don't call me a rat. They offered these cars, and the gift cards, so I just used them.

Here's my story on that card. We just signed up for one and after I waited on the email gift card for the 2-4 weeks that it said, I thought it wasn't showing up. It also said good for the first 750 people,so I figured I was #751. I canceled the card, which I had received promptly in snail mail, and guess what showed up in an email the next morning. Yep, the gift card. In fact, it came six mornings in a row,but all with the same number. We're using the gift card for our Triumph cruise in 19 days.

Guest fyree39

Did you then cancel the card? Cancel it then reapply in 6 months and take advantage of the freebies all over again.

I have a points card that has given me about $700 in cruise payments so far. It's not a M/C, but rather one of the Capital One cards. I also have a United Mileage card that I have enough points on to send my DH and I R/T to the east coast. If I'm careful, I can enjoy a free cruise out of Miami every year, flight included!

I do this all the time with cash rewards cards....they send me stuff all the time. I use it, redeem for my cash and then close them with the 0% period runs out.

If they send you the app and approve it, then I don't think you did anything wrong. Sounds like you were smart and used it to your advantage.

Did you then cancel the card? Cancel it then reapply in 6 months and take advantage of the freebies all over again.

I have a points card that has given me about $700 in cruise payments so far. It's not a M/C, but rather one of the Capital One cards. I also have a United Mileage card that I have enough points on to send my DH and I R/T to the east coast. If I'm careful, I can enjoy a free cruise out of Miami every year, flight included!

Actually, cancelling a card is a big no-no when it comes to your credit. It's best to just cut the card up and leave the account open. Each time you close an account, it knocks your score down a bit.

Archived