2014 changes?

rob&mich

Maybe TA is thinking of Oceania? I think that is what they did this year.

Of course it will depend on the flight schedule.

A lot of the flights are overnight so it could be theoretically done if disembarkation is at 5 am for a 7 am flight to LA. It would give the staff very little time or turnaround though.

I just looked at the schedule for next year. The Saturday flights are either 7.55 am or the usual night flight.

Given the Tuesday night flight comes in Wednesday morning they could possibly do away with the day room. Bring you in straight from the airport on day one and take you to the airport on the Saturday at 5.30 or so.

Late risers may not like it but it would suit early risers very well.

I wonder whether this will mean the ship will leave earlier in the day. Maybe 5 pm.

Those of us from the east coast would likely overnight in LAX on the way back.

Very interesting and will totally change the texture of the cruise. Maybe a gala welcome aboard lunch instead of a farewell brunch.

Twin it is possible that they can do away with the day room in both directions. At least the schedule might allow this. A bit of a money saver for PG if they do so as prices for next year are computed with the costs of the day room in ... I would imagine.

However I think the experience would lose some of its cachet. I love the routine of the final day.

The key to any change is the ATN schedule. It wouldn't change anything for me as I would still fly in a day or so early and relax before heading to the ship.

I wouldn't think ATN would start leaving LAX early morning as this would require many to stay over night in LA. Some of the current flights arrive late at night and while some do arrive on these flights and check-in just before the gangway is loaded up I sure wouldn't want that to be the norm. I agree with Emdee it would take away from the trip, I love having time to go to the store, Marche, shops & bank.

Maybe TA is thinking of Oceania? I think that is what they did this year.

Of course it will depend on the flight schedule.

A lot of the flights are overnight so it could be theoretically done if disembarkation is at 5 am for a 7 am flight to LA. It would give the staff very little time or turnaround though.

That assumes that all guests are getting off and going directly home. Many choose to stay or fly on other carriers. I'd be extremely upset if I were told I had to be off at 5:00 am considering we're not flying home until the next morning.

I think the 8 am flight goes to Paris and traditionally, ATN has never put PG passengers on this flight so it may be just a hum.

I see that tuesday flights are overnight so people would come into Papeete early in the morning and likely be taken to a hotel before boarding at 3 pm.

I have only checked the schedule with particular reference to the 10 day as that is my next PG cruise. Also I checked in the months of May and June and not September.

I too like to come in early and get rid of the jet lag. All the better to enjoy the cruise.

That would be unfortunate...as a first timer, the all inclusive nature of having plans for transfers and day stays really makes the trip so comfortable and easy to plan. If they eliminate them and of course people will make their own arrangements, adding extra which won't be a seamless and thus less relaxing for a truly special cruise :(

I'm looking at a cruise for Sept 2014 and spoke to an agent at PG today. She informed me that for the 7 day cruise I am looking at we will be going straight from PPT to the ship. When I mentioned I looked at flights and that didn't make sense, she said check after April 2014 because that's when the airline changed the schedule. The flights I found show arrival at 9 pm in PPT from LAX. She said our departure from PPT would be in the evening and I didn't see any difference in the PPT to LAX flights (still overnighters). So as someone previously mentioned no reduction in pricing but they are saving on the cruise-day dayroom. Also note at some point in 2014 (before Sept) the Over Water Bungalows are being renovated and not available.

spny84

Actually there is NO real change from the past.

1) On day of check in if you did not do a precruise then you were taken directly from the flight to the airport. The flights used to come in at 6-30 initially ( 2003-2010) and the buses took you to the airport.

2) Then when ATN changed their schedule and flights landed at 10.30 at night and this was right up to my cruise this February, those who didnt take the precruise were taken from the airport to the ship and came in very late that first night.

Some of us did a precruise ( paying extra) in order to avoid this late night arrival and also to rest up a bit after the long flight.

3) Some of the dates had an early morning arrival ( some 7 days cruises for sure) and in that case the passengers were given a day room and then taken to the ship at 3pm for boarding.

From what I recall all ATN flights have left Papeete late at night in the past 10 years and consequently the cruise line has been giving passengers a hotel for the afternoon and evening and then taken them to the airport. I am sure that this will not change if the return flights are still at night.

So, if your flight comes in at 9 pm. You have two options either proceed directly to the ship from the airport or come in a day or more earlier and pay for the precruise. The 7 day has Raitea as the first stop and I think that is not until 10 or 11 am so you could have a lazy morning in case you decide against a precruise. 10 day cruises have Huahine at 8 am the next day so those passengers usually feel a greater need for the precruise especially if they want to enjoy Huahine or have the full day excursion with Marc.

Now, if they bring you back to LAX on a morning flight either the 8am or 11am flight then yes, they could do without the day room on the last day. Maybe they will sell it as an option for those who want to get back to LAX on saturday night instead of sunday morning.

Ultimately it will all depend on ATN flights. Those seem in a state of flux right now and they are now offering additional options. In addition there was talk that Hawaiian airlines is changing their schedule to coincide with PG cruises departures as well so likely passengers from Australia/Japan etc could fly to Papeete via Hawaii as an option.

September schedules should be out shortly so we will know all the available timings for those of us who are going on the repeaters cruise.

A bunch of us that have been on the ship before. Some special events I think are planned as well as a stop at am island they have never been to plus 2 days at the Tahaa motu.

Come join us!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ia Orana,

We are currently contacting our travel partners and guests regarding an upcoming change to the Air Tahiti Nui schedule between Los Angeles and Papeete for cruises beginning in April 2014. Our Air/Sea Program for cruises on the m/s Paul Gauguin incorporates air travel between Los Angeles and Papeete as part of the package and air transportation is based on economy class or coach travel. There will be an afternoon flight from Los Angeles to Papeete on the ship’s embarkation day. This will allow guests on our Air/Sea program to be transferred directly from the airport to The Gauguin to begin their cruise. On disembarkation day, there will be a morning flight between Papeete and Los Angeles, and guests on our Air/Sea program, will be transferred from the ship directly to the airport for the flight. Pre- and Post-Cruise Hotel Packages will continue to be offered for guests who would like to extend their stay. For more information, please contact your Travel Professional or Paul Gauguin Cruises at 800-848-6172.

While my DH will love this - he hated the fact that we hung out the whole day in Papeete, it will mean getting into LAX late at night so anyone from the east coast will have to stay overnight in LAX.

It will also mean a real change to the 'PG experience'. The last day was special and unique to the PG the day tour, lunch on board and the hotel room etc.

Without the hotel and lunch I guess the following should happen. Logically, 2014 passengers should be compensated with a price reduction in fares or suitable OBC as 2014 fares which were developed last year had included these costs in their compilation. Secondly third person on board should now be charged only for the air fare and taxes as they do not have to pay the additional cost for the room etc.

These are just my thoughts on this change...

Another thought...

If the embarkation day flight gets in at 9pm then passengers will be on board after 10.30 so will in effect lose the dinner. In the past when passengers came in at midnight this was somewhat compensated with the experience of the final day brunch.

Hopefully PG does not put people on the first flight at 7.50 am as it will mean leaving the ship at 6 am and a really early debarkation for all. Not good and will sully the experience further. Time will tell how this turns out.

We're coming in the day before so it doesn't really affect us, but I thought the PG left a boxed meal in the cabins of those on the late flights? Not that it's a full dinner, but it is a nice touch for those who arrive hungry.

take the 10:50 am flight which arrives at LAX at 10:00pm. Then grab a red eye going east.

Doesn't effect us. I've always liked the idea of getting back in California on a Saturday but then again I simply drive home. One the way over we always go a day early so again, no big deal for us.

take the 10:50 am flight which arrives at LAX at 10:00pm. Then grab a red eye going east.

Doesn't effect us. I've always liked the idea of getting back in California on a Saturday but then again I simply drive home. One the way over we always go a day early so again, no big deal for us.

I wouldn't take the chance of making that red-eye connection. Most leave between 11:00 and 12:15--not enough of a comfort zone for me as far as connection times when CBP and rechecking bags is involved.

I see red eyes at 1am in the morning at least to the major airports. I'm sure you can take a later flight out of PPT as I see to late night times which means one could rent a car and play around Tahiti for the day.

But as I said this works out just fine for us.

Ia Orana,

We are currently contacting our travel partners and guests regarding an upcoming change to the Air Tahiti Nui schedule between Los Angeles and Papeete for cruises beginning in April 2014. Our Air/Sea Program for cruises on the m/s Paul Gauguin incorporates air travel between Los Angeles and Papeete as part of the package and air transportation is based on economy class or coach travel. There will be an afternoon flight from Los Angeles to Papeete on the ship’s embarkation day. This will allow guests on our Air/Sea program to be transferred directly from the airport to The Gauguin to begin their cruise. On disembarkation day, there will be a morning flight between Papeete and Los Angeles, and guests on our Air/Sea program, will be transferred from the ship directly to the airport for the flight. Pre- and Post-Cruise Hotel Packages will continue to be offered for guests who would like to extend their stay. For more information, please contact your Travel Professional or Paul Gauguin Cruises at 800-848-6172.

All you past cruisers don't have any problems with the new system because you a) have more time available and/or b) understand what you are doing because have done it before. Because the flights don't exist yet, I have to decide what day to get into LAX from NYC so as not to miss a flight that I will not be choosing (similar issues on return). I could be purchasing tickets from NYC to LAX that end up being a poor choice but I wont know till when, 120 days before the cruise? When you have previous people's reviews you get an idea of what to do and when but now since it's in flux I'm not sure whether to book which if I can't get the flights to work out could cause me to lose approx $1000 (I would buy insurance and the admin deposit). I know it's not PG's fault but we had decided on this trip for 30th anniversary and now have to rethink things. And yes I know, this is not a serious problem in the scheme of things just frustrating when you thought you had things figured out they change.

Archived