Changing cruise date and cost, insurance question

monkfamily

Hi. In November 2012 while on a Celebrity cruise we booked an 18 day cruise for April 2014. Upon getting home from the November cruise, we moved the reservation to Crucon.com and purchased travel insurance through them.

We have decided not to do the 18 day cruise because of costs (mostly the air to Australia) and have opted to change to a 7 day to the Caribbean in Feb 2014.

Of course the cost of the 18 day cruise was more than twice the 7, and so the insurance was pricey.

I am now told that I can move the coverage to the new 7 day cruise but will get nothing back as there are no refunds for cancellations.

I am pretty appalled by this. To go from $6000 of coverage to $2400 of coverage and get nothing back seems like it is price gouging to me.

I called Travel Insured International directly and was told that if they got the change showing the new cost from CruCon I would be issued a refund, but CruCon says that is not true.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

Thanks,

Nancy

Did you get cancel for any reason insurance? Did you change your cruise voluntarily? If the answer to question 1 is "no" or the answer to question 2 is "yes", I do not see where the insurance company owes you anything. Be thankful that they are willing to let you apply the coverage to the new cruise.

DON

I called Travel Insured International directly and was told that if they got the change showing the new cost from CruCon I would be issued a refund, but CruCon says that is not true.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

The problem here is that CruCon has already been paid their commission on the higher amount. Travel Insured's hands are tied at this point -- they can't issue the refund without the approval of the selling agent (CruCon) which must also agree to re-pay the commission they received on the difference between the old premium and the new premium.

I've never seen an insurer not agree to do the refund/premium adjustment if asked by the selling agent. CruCon is huge and probably sends Travel Insured a ton of business. One call from them to the TI sales rep would take care of it since I'm sure keeping CruCon happy is MUCH more important to them then the few bucks we're talking about.

I'd get in touch with a supervisor at CruCon and explain the situation and hope for the best.

Archived