Question to returning Red October/Denrus Star passengers regarding lunches

Can any returning Star Princess passengers who may have taken a Denrus or Red October tour share what they did for lunch? Specifically, did anyone take their own lunch with them, and if so, what foods from the Star did you pack? Or, do you recall what foods were available from either the buffet or cabin service that might be suitable for packing? Thanks for your help!

We were on Celebrity Constellation. the do not do boxed lunches. The day before we got to St P, we ordered room servioce Ham & Cheese sandwiches and refrigerated them in the minibar for the next day's RO tour. On day 2 we just grabbed a couple of rolls, cheese, yogurt, and apples from the breakfast buffet for our lunch. We could have done room service sandwiches again, but chose not to.

This may work for you too!

We did about the same thing as dileep for day 1 of our tour. I brought small soft sided coolers to put the food in while we were touring. We also purchased bottled water from the ship for the guide and driver. It worked well for us.

We were on the Star. We ordered sandwiches from room service the night before. They came with potato chips. I brought ziplock bags and blue ice. Other people got foil from the dining room waiter. Some people got rolls and lunch meat and cheese at the breakfast buffet. We got fruit there. We took extra for the guide and driver and had more than enough food. The second day we ate at a Russian restaurant. We had borscht, salad, beef stroganoff (you have a choice of entree) and dessert. It was $17, added to our tour bill.

We did essentially the same thing as SCDH, except no blue ice ('Just make sure "no mayo"). I wouldn't be so bold as to actually TELL room service that you're ordering food to take off the ship. Our friends did and they were told that it wasn't permitted, but they received their sandwiches, anyway. We shared with our tour guide and ate our lunch on the hydrofoil back from Peterhof on the first day. This saved time that we allocated to the Hermitage. On the second day we ate at the Grand Hotel's buffet, where our guide pointed out Russian favorites. (We invited her to lunch with us, of course. Lunch was very reasonable and about $16 per person (w/o beverage), as I recall.)

'Must point out that the Grand Hotel had a shop that sold Lomonsov porcelain. As it turned out, it was significantly less expensive there than at run-of-the-mill souvenir shops. Go figure! ('Wish I'd bought more!)

Oslo was the only port where they specifically announced that you couldn't take meat, cheese, fruits and vegetables off the ship. It's a health thing--you can't bring that stuff through customs in the U.S., either.

we were with red october last- i saw other groups of theirs with box lunches- pass on those- we took sandwiches from our ship the night before- then we decided to scrap the sandwiches and we had the guide stop quickly for McDonalds in the car.

We just got back Saturday

We were a group of 4 and invited guide and driver to lunch. We had opted not to go to a restaurant to save time which we thought could be better used sightseeing.

On day 1, we stopped at a McD which was on the outskirts of SPB right alongside the road to Peterhof. Approx time 1/2 hour. (right next door was a Russian self serve which we were told was cheaper) On day 2 the driver took us to a Russian chain restaurant which was themed like a log cabin type place with waitresses in costume. It was quick and easy and again alongside the road we were taking to our next stop. Enjoyed a selection of Russian food there with guide and driver describing the dishes although there was also a menu in English. Approx time 45 mins. Cost for 6 was approx $22 on day 1 and approx $33 on day 2.

With prices so low,you might want to consider something similar. Your driver and/or guide will probably know places you can go.

Just back yesterday. Our Denrus guide took us to a 'grocery store' on Nevskiy Prospekt. We got Russian salami, cheeses and bread, and we had a picnic in the park! Don't forget to try the Russian beer :)

Just back yesterday. Our Denrus guide took us to a 'grocery store' on Nevskiy Prospekt. We got Russian salami, cheeses and bread, and we had a picnic in the park! Don't forget to try the Russian beer :)

Daiseee - Welcome back! I hope you write up a review would like to hear all about your trip. Do you remember the name of the grocery store? That is what we plan to do just find a store and have a picnic. How did it go with your visa? Any problems? I am still waiting for mine to get here I think they should be here on Thursday, if not I'll start checking with my neighbors, ha!

We stopped at a small grocery store too just off Nevsky Prospekt. We bought beer and paid for it with a credit card. There was a bronze statue of a photographer holding an umbrella outside on the side walk

Note that Russian beer came in 3 levels of % alcohol. I think the amount was listed on the can.

We stopped at a small grocery store too just off Nevsky Prospekt. We bought beer and paid for it with a credit card. There was a bronze statue of a photographer holding an umbrella outside on the side walk

Note that Russian beer came in 3 levels of % alcohol. I think the amount was listed on the can.

Thanks, I'll look for the statue, I'll pretend that I'm on the Amazing Race!

you got a good deal and I'd recommend a similar plan--cheaper and more interesting. RO took us to a downtown restaurant for salad, borscht and stroganoff at $22 per. Not at all worth it; guide did not eat with us; rude waitresses; charged us $2.50 for tiny water bottles ("May we have some more water?" "YOU PAY EXTRA!!!"). Although we enjoye dtalking to the other couple in our tour and it was a break from walking, it was not worth the $ or the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Daiseee - Welcome back! I hope you write up a review would like to hear all about your trip. Do you remember the name of the grocery store? That is what we plan to do just find a store and have a picnic. How did it go with your visa? Any problems? I am still waiting for mine to get here I think they should be here on Thursday, if not I'll start checking with my neighbors, ha!

Hi SG! I plan to write a review....just been so hectic since getting back! But worth it :) We had a GREAT time.

I don't remember the name of the grocery store, but it was just past the Gostiny Dvor, and right across from a park. I have a picture somewhere I can send you of the front if you want, just send me an email ( in my user profile.)

No problems at ALL with the visa. And, minus the mis-delivery by our fine mail carrier, I suspect I would have had it back in just over a weeks time! BTW, to any of you applying for the visa, make SURE you send a voucher for return overnight delivery, with trace-able tracking number. Trust me on this one. Would have saved me some sleepless nights....

Just had to chuckle. We're on Crystal Symphony next week, and will be in St Petersburg for 3 days. McDonalds? In Russia?? Gawd, I can't stand McD's here in the states, and I can't envision opting for a Big Mac over a Russian meal. DW and I love sampling indigenous cuisine in exotic foreign ports - that's part of the overall enjoyment of our cruises. Oh well - different strokes;)

Mike

Mike

Perhaps not unsurprisingly, MacDonalds was chosen NOT for its food quality or our lack of willingness to try something different, but because it was right alongside the route from SPB to Peterhof, (we just pulled right in) the driver could keep an eye on our transport and belongings as parked right outside the building, we were all very hungry as it was mid afternoon and nobody had eaten since breakfast, we needed to complete our visit to Peterhof before the fountains shut off at 5pm, it was VERY quick and we were running behind time on an already packed itinerary due to our ships delayed arrival in SPB. If the transport had not be so immaculate inside, and the driver himself not as hungry as we all were, we might even have suggested eating our MacDonalds in it to save even more time.

Sometimes its a case of "needs must". It might even happen to you someday.

We were on the July 2 Constellation sailing and toured St Petersburg with Red October. Rather than try to save time, we considered lunch part of the experience and opted for lunch with a Russian family (booked through Red October). This was the highlight of the cruise for my husband, myself and our 8 year old son. We had lunch in the flat of a 50ish year old widow with her and her 20 something year old son. She has her masters in aeronautical engineering but since Perestroika, has lost her job and teaches English. Her son has the only bedroom in the flat (he is studying for his masters degree) and she sleeps on the couch. The son was getting married the week after we were there and his bride was moving in with them. Was the food worth what we paid (around $20 each)- probably not, but the insight into how Russians live and how they feel about their country- priceless!

Different strokes for diffrent folks is right, so no matter what you do you'll be happy with it. I opted to do my own box lunch because I have a "bad" stomach and did not want to risk eating something that would not agree with me.

Let's not get into insulting each other over our choices.

daiseee,

We had Elena who was also very good.

you got a good deal and I'd recommend a similar plan--cheaper and more interesting. RO took us to a downtown restaurant for salad, borscht and stroganoff at $22 per. Not at all worth it; guide did not eat with us; rude waitresses; charged us $2.50 for tiny water bottles ("May we have some more water?" "YOU PAY EXTRA!!!"). Although we enjoye dtalking to the other couple in our tour and it was a break from walking, it was not worth the $ or the time.
We did lunch both days with RO and did not experience any rude waitresses. However, I don't think anyone in our group asked for extra water. I don't recall what we paid, but all 10 of us really enjoyed the lunch on the first day. I saw a plaque on the wall near the restrooms that was an award the restaurant had won for "Best Restaurant in St. Petersburg." I think the year was 2000. The restaurant on the second day wasn't as nice, but it was okay. It was nice to have a break both days.

sopiek,

we must have had lunch with the same russian family that you did. we took gifts in anticipation of our visit with them, and the son was thrilled with the phillies baseball hat that we gave him.

this was indeed the highlight of my trip to russia because it allowed us to see how the people actually live.

we thought that our restaurant meal and the russian family meal were quite tasty and opened our eyes quite a bit,

wendy

We did RO earlier this month, with two box lunches and one restaurant. None of them were worth the cost, although I think they changed our restaurant at the last minute as we were running very late. We did stop at an excellent local market which we had asked to include on our tour, and in retrospect should have bought our lunch there. The box lunch consisted of a "sandwich" (roll with a piece of meat and cheese), two apples, banana, package of cookies, and bottle of water.

Our lunches were $21 each. The restuarant wasn't bad, and it was clean, but it just seemed too perfrct--like a theme restaurant in a mall or at Busch Gardens. Food stalls at a market may have been more fun and a better way to get the feel of the place. With so little time, I didn't like being taken out of the game for an hour; I would have liked to walk around instead. But let me say this, for people who need down time and to get off their feet a restaurant is not a bad idea; you might have more energy for the rest of the day.

Archived