Earth to Baychilla...

Les Picantins

True, but no offense to Baychilla with the hotel example the pictures have been professionally staged and photographed ( often using a wide angle lens). Baychilla's photography skills notwithstanding are more like the "real" ones you can find on certain websites to compare with the professional photos.

I wish I had the ability to get paid to stage photos. Being able to control the lighting and the crowds would be awesome.

At the end of the day my area of expertise isn't photography. As I am not employed by any line/agency/site to comment one way or the other on my experiences I feel my photos are neutral. They are not taken to spin anything one way or the other (aside from the sink full of kittens where I was aiming for a full on AWWW cute type photo).

I wish I had the ability to get paid to stage photos. Being able to control the lighting and the crowds would be awesome.

At the end of the day my area of expertise isn't photography. As I am not employed by any line/agency/site to comment one way or the other on my experiences I feel my photos are neutral. They are not taken to spin anything one way or the other (aside from the sink full of kittens where I was aiming for a full on AWWW cute type photo).

Well you obviously have a "good eye" for composition. That's kind of a natural thing, hard to teach or learn. :)

These colors are in ONE bar and not even all the time. There is absolutely not "lots of it".

The pool area looks pink/purple by night too. Perhaps thats becuase the photo tends that way and it may not seem so when you are there.

it kind of reminds me of the toilets in a "dodgy" area here. Blue/Purple lights so users can't see their veins.

That's just the connection my mind makes, I can't help that. We all bring our own experiences to things.

you certainly got the "awwww" comment when I saw all the pics of the cats. I seem to end up with dozens of cat photos too, especially when in Turkey and the Greek Islands.

Seabournaddict,

Yes, somehow I took have a collection of SB travels cat photos , as you say. especially Greece and Turkey. Another great feline photo opt -- have you ever looked into the archeological excavations Torre Argentina in the middle of Rome? There are hundreds of beautiful cats lounging amongst the ruins.

I agree that the purple bar is less than attractive. I assume they were trying to appeal to a younger demographic with this design but the light is not always on and there are numerous other. much more beautiful options for taking a drink that it didn't bother me. I walked in there once to look at it, never to return.

I agree that the purple bar is less than attractive. I assume they were trying to appeal to a younger demographic with this design but the light is not always on and there are numerous other. much more beautiful options for taking a drink that it didn't bother me. I walked in there once to look at it, never to return.

Numerous? I'm sorry, at that point Waves is closed. You are limited to Horizons, and Martinis aside from the cheesy Vegas brothel of 1970 look.

What would have been a deal breaker alone for me was the size of the pool and pool area. It appears to be a wee bit larger than the Odyssey class ships and not any larger than the Silversea Spirit pool area. Considering the difference in the number of pax...

I am certainly a dedicated Seabourn sailor and have been since 2004. I think it is the best product out there for me and thus keep coming back. However, I have also sailed on Oceania several times and have to say that the experience is very nice. I do not think the Marina or Riviera look like Vegas at all. They are stunning ships imo. And Seabourn would (or should) be proud to have any of their specialty restaurants on board, especially Jacques, Red Ginger and La Reserve. Their afternoon tea is hands above Seabourn's and their itineraries are much more varied. However, I would never sail on Oceania in anything less than a penthouse as the regular cabins are far too small, so once you add in gratuities and the beverage package you are paying about he same as Seabourn. I would still do that for the right itinerary because personally, I like a bit of diversity. Given the choice in general though Seabourn is my go to line.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of condesencion and snickering here, as if the Riviera is in any way akin to a Carnival ship. The Riviera is very beautiful, perhaps the prettiest ship at sea, not garish, and for the most part, done very tastefully with lots of original art. I haven't looked up the size of the cabins but I don't recall the very adequate sized veranda suite on Riviera being much smaller than the one that we had on the Quest. Of course Baychilla is witty and I enjoyed his review for the snarky comments and excellent photos, but IMO, Seabourn cruisers have nothing to snicker about when it comes to the new Oceania ships. Look at Baychilla's photo of the GDR...the room is stunning, especially compared to the plain little dining room on the Quest. On our time on the Quest, the service in the MDR was worse than anything that we experienced on Oceania, and the specialty restaurants on Riviera are excellent.(This coming from a long time loyal Crystal cruiser). I did not see Sponge Bob, but I did see a few folks at night dressed in shorts and tee shirts which was a little downscale for my taste.

Some like smaller ships and some like bigger ships...that is understandable. To each his or her own.

So enjoy breathing all that smoke, and laugh if you will, but the new O ships have some good itineraries and a good product, and since we drink very little and like to take our own tours, that works for us as well.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of condesencion and snickering here, as if the Riviera is in any way akin to a Carnival ship. The Riviera is very beautiful, perhaps the prettiest ship at sea, not garish, and for the most part, done very tastefully with lots of original art. I haven't looked up the size of the cabins but I don't recall the very adequate sized veranda suite on Riviera being much smaller than the one that we had on the Quest. Of course Baychilla is witty and I enjoyed his review for the snarky comments and excellent photos, but IMO, Seabourn cruisers have nothing to snicker about when it comes to the new Oceania ships. Look at Baychilla's photo of the GDR...the room is stunning, especially compared to the plain little dining room on the Quest. On our time on the Quest, the service in the MDR was worse than anything that we experienced on Oceania, and the specialty restaurants on Riviera are excellent.(This coming from a long time loyal Crystal cruiser). I did not see Sponge Bob, but I did see a few folks at night dressed in shorts and tee shirts which was a little downscale for my taste.

Some like smaller ships and some like bigger ships...that is understandable. To each his or her own.

So enjoy breathing all that smoke, and laugh if you will, but the new O ships have some good itineraries and a good product, and since we drink very little and like to take our own tours, that works for us as well.

Please let us know the number of days you spent on Quest when making reference to your SB cruise.

Please let us know the number of days you spent on Quest when making reference to your SB cruise.

You know that I was on a "sampler" and you recall that I reported that the dining room was a disaster and that I did not like toasting my own frozen English muffins ala Fairfield Inn at breakfast. I don't claim to be an expert on all things Seabourn and fine people like Nancy have assured me that my experience was not representative, and I believe them and would surely sail Seabourn again on the right itinerary. However I do know cheesy and garish when I see it, and the Oceania Riviera is a beautiful, tastefully done ship. I did not like the art auctions. I do consider them cheesy.

I also have found Frank Del Rio to be the finest CEO in the business, who unlike Seabourn's management, implemented a sane smoking policy, and unlike Seabourn's management, rather than ignoring the protests of its patrons, would explain the logic of such a policy.

I do not believe that one has ever had to toast their own muffins on SB. The toaster is there for the convenience of those who can't wait a few minutes to have them toasted and served to them.

Well that is a surprise to me since I would have preferred to be served. I also would have preferred fresher, tastier English muffins (like on Oceania) or bagels (like on Crystal). Not a big deal, but I couldn't believe that I was on a luxury ship toasting my own muffins.

Archived