A look back to my first HAL cruise

rafinmd

We kept all the info from our first cruise, which was round trip from Vancouver to Alaska aboard Volendam. We had Captain Pieter Bos on that trip. He was amazing, and to me, made the trip extra special, as he was very involved with making announcements when wildlife was spotted; whales, dolphins, grizzly on shore, etc. He encouraged pax to let the bridge know about wildlife sightings so he could announce it for everyone.

....the other memorable thing about that cruise was that we were upgraded to a Deluxe Verandah suite for next to nothing. What a treat!

....And then the same thing happened on our very next cruise....

..and now we are spoiled forever. Clever marketing on HALs' part! :rolleyes:

My first cruise with HAL was in 1971 on the old "new Amsterdam". She was a wonderful ship but also tired. I don't know the name from the captain or any officer .But after this cruise i was addicted to cruising.What i do remember is that on Gala nights there were big ( i mean really big) ice-sculptures in the dining room for decoration and when we were leaving a port ,there was always a band playing for far well and lots of people waving us goodbye.

burny

Archived