Help with Catamaran and Snorkeling

clarkrock7

We are heading to Costa Maya in 2 weeks and would like to do a catamaran and snorkeling excursion.

Found one through Island Marketing that leaves from Nohoch Kay and is a private tour for 4 people for $200 total

Does anyone have any information on this excursion? Any other suggestions for something similar? Thanks!

Sounds reasonable...$50pp cheaper than ship snorkel excurisions.

Does it include Nohoch Kay A.I. or use of the facilities there? Even better.

And Noch Kay is a great place, IMO.

There are snorkel tours launching off Tequila Beach.

Their website: http://www.tequila**********.com/costamaya_snorkeling.php

It's a power boat though and I'm not fond of their aggressive lounger hawkers. TB is the first stop for the shuttles and gets crowded too. Food isn't the best.

Here's another one to look at:

http://costamaya-mexico.com/blog/

Timing may be an issue. No opinion on this one. And you'll have to contact them for the cost.

Here's another one to look at:

http://costamaya-mexico.com/blog/

Timing may be an issue. No opinion on this one. And you'll have to contact them for the cost.

This one sounds like the tour we booked through Disney for our cruise this fall. The description sounds the same, the catamaran looks the same, the Mayan Wind. After searching for reviews of this excursion on several different forums, I've only found a few people who said they have been. They did say they really liked it, so I went ahead with the booking. I hope it's good!

I can come back and report on our excursion after we come back in Oct.

Edited by perfect match

• 3 months later...
This one sounds like the tour we booked through Disney for our cruise this fall. The description sounds the same, the catamaran looks the same, the Mayan Wind. After searching for reviews of this excursion on several different forums, I've only found a few people who said they have been. They did say they really liked it, so I went ahead with the booking. I hope it's good!

I can come back and report on our excursion after we come back in Oct.

Did you to on tour? How was the snorkeling?

• 2 weeks later...

We did go, and we did enjoy the tour.

There had been a tropical storm in the area just prior to our arrival, so the water was not as clear as I'm told it usually is. Also did not see as much marine life, also storm related. I had a new underwater camera with me, my first time using it, so I was still learning how it worked. I was pretty pleased with the pictures I was able to get. Certainly enough fish to keep me interested and my camera pretty busy! :D

The staff did a great job keeping track of all the snorkelers of varying levels of experience and ability. I thought their equipment was better than many tours I have been on, and each person got their own, new snorkel wrapped in plastic. I had my own gear, so I didn't use theirs, but I did look their equipment over pretty carefully.

My biggest problem was that we were really tight time wise. We were only in port from 1 to 5:30, so we barely got back to the ship in time. We did have plenty of time to snorkel, just not one single minute to do anything on the way back. I like to collect a small souvenir from each port we visit, usually a turtle, and I had no time at all to do that. Overall, not much of a problem. I was glad, though, that we were on a ship sponsored excursion, as I would not at all like missing our ship in Costa Maya!

Our transportation to the snorkel boat and back to our ship was a large air conditioned bus. It was in pretty good shape. The driver did a good job of navigating some very narrow streets.

Overall, we had a great time, and I would book with the Mayan Wind again.

We did go, and we did enjoy the tour.

There had been a tropical storm in the area just prior to our arrival, so the water was not as clear as I'm told it usually is. Also did not see as much marine life, also storm related. I had a new underwater camera with me, my first time using it, so I was still learning how it worked. I was pretty pleased with the pictures I was able to get. Certainly enough fish to keep me interested and my camera pretty busy! :D

The staff did a great job keeping track of all the snorkelers of varying levels of experience and ability. I thought their equipment was better than many tours I have been on, and each person got their own, new snorkel wrapped in plastic. I had my own gear, so I didn't use theirs, but I did look their equipment over pretty carefully.

My biggest problem was that we were really tight time wise. We were only in port from 1 to 5:30, so we barely got back to the ship in time. We did have plenty of time to snorkel, just not one single minute to do anything on the way back. I like to collect a small souvenir from each port we visit, usually a turtle, and I had no time at all to do that. Overall, not much of a problem. I was glad, though, that we were on a ship sponsored excursion, as I would not at all like missing our ship in Costa Maya!

Our transportation to the snorkel boat and back to our ship was a large air conditioned bus. It was in pretty good shape. The driver did a good job of navigating some very narrow streets.

Overall, we had a great time, and I would book with the Mayan Wind again.

Thanks for the review.

I just ordered an Olympus Tough 830 so I can uses it snorkeling. What type of underwater camera do you have?

My camera is also an Olympus Tough, TG2. I'd offer to post some of the pictures, but I took so many of them that I'm still working on editing them down to a more manageable number. They're just not ready yet fot me to even try to post. Sorry, but real life keeps getting in the way. Hope you like your Olympus.

My camera is also an Olympus Tough, TG2. I'd offer to post some of the pictures, but I took so many of them that I'm still working on editing them down to a more manageable number. They're just not ready yet fot me to even try to post. Sorry, but real life keeps getting in the way. Hope you like your Olympus.

I really loved the TG-2 but the 830 was $80 off this past weekend and my mom gave me the cash so I could order it for Christmas. I have 2 other cameras, a Nikon 5100 and a Lumix that I really like, so I could not justify over a $100 more just for the snorkeling.

Please post some photos when you can. I would love to see them. I think the two cameras' underwater settings are similar.