NCL confirms purchase in Belize, the New Harvest Caye

FIRELT5

If NCL did away with Cozumel or Roatan for two stops in Belize, that would kill their Western Itinerary for me.

I definitely wouldn't mind switching from the armpit of the Caribbean that Belize City is, to a new private island in southern Belize.

But keeping the horrible Belize City stop and dropping either Roatan or Cozumel would be a deal breaker for us.

Bill

I completely agree. Cozumel and Roatan are our favorite ports. I would welcome a "new" place to go in Belize, but if they are replacing those 2 ports, I'm not going to be a happy camper and will go with another cruise line. They already have me cruising with another cruise line this past summer due to them pulling ALL of their fleet out of the Caribbean (where we like to go) during the summer months. :(

I completely agree. Cozumel and Roatan are our favorite ports. I would welcome a "new" place to go in Belize, but if they are replacing those 2 ports, I'm not going to be a happy camper and will go with another cruise line. They already have me cruising with another cruise line this past summer due to them pulling ALL of their fleet out of the Caribbean (where we like to go) during the summer months. :(

I just had a conversation with NCL Miami about this very topic . Yesterday.

About no ships in the carib for the summer..

There are no plans (unfortunately ) to change that .. To worried about lost revenue due to hurricanes ..:(

But they are coming around on the unrestricted obc for share holders.

Sorry for the detour .. back to the original program ;)

Lot's of guessing and assumptions being made. And we all know about assumptions!!!! Nobody is talking about adding, taking away or changing anything at this point in time. Not even a time table for doing all this. There may still be lawsuits to be settled long before this is completed.

Deep breaths.:cool:

I just had a conversation with NCL Miami about this very topic . Yesterday.

About no ships in the carib for the summer..

There are no plans (unfortunately ) to change that .. To worried about lost revenue due to hurricanes ..:(

But they are coming around on the unrestricted obc for share holders.

Sorry for the detour .. back to the original program ;)

Well...next year they will be having the Getaway there in the Caribbean year round, so I'm not sure what the people in Miami are talking about. :p But then again, I have found that every time you talk to ANY NCL rep, they will have a different story for you.

I'm not sure why they say they would lose revenue and then put their brand new ship there year round. I also don't agree with the lost revenue and pulling the ships out of the Caribbean for that reason because if that's the case, then every other cruise line that sails there still would have done that. I just took my business elsewhere. :) (Just making it clear, not doubting or arguing with you, arguing with NCL about this point) ;)

I just had a conversation with NCL Miami about this very topic . Yesterday. About no ships in the carib for the summer..

Doesn't the Bahamas border the Caribbean Sea? If you think it does, there's one NCL ship from Miami plus a second NCL ship from New York sailing to the Caribbean during the summer!

Edited by electricron

Doesn't the Bahamas border the Caribbean Sea? If you think it does, there's one NCL ship from Miami plus a second NCL ship from New York sailing to the Caribbean during the summer!

You'd be correct . I do not consider the Bahamas the Caribean . ;)

More like Florida out Islands ... ( North Atlantic ) eewwa

Edited by mpk218

You'd be correct . I do not consider the Bahamas the Caribean . ;)

More like Florida out Islands ... ( North Atlantic ) eewwa

I do not consider the Bahamas the Caribbean either. Any time I have a friend that tells me they are going to the Bahamas and they are so excited because it will be their first time in the Caribbean, I always think, no this won't be your first time in the Caribbean either. ;) I have no desire to cruise to just the Bahamas, although I enjoy the cruise ships private islands in the Bahamas, there's nothing else out there that I care to go to (Nassau/Freeport, then there's Key West, which is just Florida to begin with). Just keep headed south and I'm good! :D

I do not consider the Bahamas the Caribbean either. Any time I have a friend that tells me they are going to the Bahamas and they are so excited because it will be their first time in the Caribbean, I always think, no this won't be your first time in the Caribbean either. ;) I have no desire to cruise to just the Bahamas, although I enjoy the cruise ships private islands in the Bahamas, there's nothing else out there that I care to go to (Nassau/Freeport, then there's Key West, which is just Florida to begin with). Just keep headed south and I'm good! :D

Thats exactly how I feel .. Gotta get South of Cuba at least..

Southern Carib is one of my favorite runs..

Hey NCL , how about keeping one of your Jewel class ships home ported at San Juan,PR ???? Nothin but Southern Carib combos :D

When the Jewel begins sailing from Houston in late 2014 it is scheduled to only have 3 ports (Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan) and 4 sea days. They have dropped Costa Maya from the itinerary. Maybe this island will be added as a 4th port for those that want more ports than sea days.

If NCL did away with Cozumel or Roatan for two stops in Belize, that would kill their Western Itinerary for me.

I definitely wouldn't mind switching from the armpit of the Caribbean that Belize City is, to a new private island in southern Belize.

But keeping the horrible Belize City stop and dropping either Roatan or Cozumel would be a deal breaker for us.

Bill

I sadly feel the same. We have been to Belize 2 times where we got off the ship and did excursions. All were great, but 2 times was enough and since then have remained on board. When we choose a western, it is specifically to get to Coz.....Mexico is my favorite place to be.

LOL. Thanks! it would have taken a SWAG for me to get that.

Truth be told, it all depends on the context as well. In this context, it was a Serious Wild A$$ Guess, but sometimes it means Scientific Wild A$$ Guess. The Scientific version is when I'm talking about something I have a lot of experience in, but I'm still essentially guessing. :)

Hey NCL , how about keeping one of your Jewel class ships home ported at San Juan,PR ???? Nothin but Southern Carib combos :D

That would be BEYOND AWESOME!

• 1 year later...

Hi!

Just saw Harvest Caye listed as an NCL port on a cruise next year or early 2016 and wanted to know if there were any recent updates? I read a blog from someone in Belize and they were heartbroken that their government sold this island to NCL. I would have thought it would have helped their economy?

• 3 weeks later...
But I enjoyed the two stops I've been to on Belize.

Once we took a water taxi to Caulker Caye and once we did cave tubing which for me was one of my all time favorite excursions.

I am looking forward to my next stop there to do the ruins.

Don't really need another beach day. We've been to so many islands for land stays that almost every island stop is a beach day.

Hi All,

Just discovered this thread and it was a good read. Very curious about this new Harvest Caye island. We just booked a cruise that will stop there and am open to new things. Our favorite thing to do in the Belize City port is to make our way to the air strip and hop a plane to San Pedro for a few hours. That was one of my fondest memories of Belize -- San Pedro. Receiving a ticket for parking the golf cart wrong.

Edited by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Hi!

Just saw Harvest Caye listed as an NCL port on a cruise next year or early 2016 and wanted to know if there were any recent updates? I read a blog from someone in Belize and they were heartbroken that their government sold this island to NCL. I would have thought it would have helped their economy?

How do you figure it would help? Best case it will shift to different people MAYBE running excursion from HC. Worst case is the vendors running excursions and selling things in Belize City won't have as much business. They are basically loosening one cruise line to a private island. Its the same as NCL only going to GSC and bypassing Nassau and or Freeport. Its also not the money, its selling off a piece of land they want....money talks

Hi!

It's not the economy that those Belizeans are upset about, but the environmental concerns. Harvest Caye is one of the few natural manatee habitats left (among other things), and NCL is dredging it. There are legitimate concerns that NCL has not explicitly or adequately addressed.

Hopefully NCL takes adequate precautions and doesn't do too much damage.

What does SWAG mean?

I've heard of 2 meanings:

- Stuff We All Get (as in Swag-bags / hand-outs at parties)

- Short for swagger

But neither seems to fit here.... so I'm unfamiliar with the term. OP?

Thanks,

Stephen

It has many definitions but I believe the OP was using it as "Scientific Wild A$$ Guess"

Lynda

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at the tours which will be offered by NCL from Harvest Caye and they are not very attractive. Don't count on two stops in Belize. Belize City is off the itinerary. I'm disappointed in this move because it denied me the opportunity to book tours with the locals. I just spoke by phone with one of the local tour operators and he verified what I had already suspected and that is that there is very very little to see and do in the southern part of Belize where Harvest Caye is located. The only salvation would be a gala beach party but I fear this is not in the plan. To be truthful I hope the entire project is dropped. I suggest everyone call NCL and complain but since they have already made the investment it's going to happen.

Some/many of the tour operators from Belize City have already started operations in the new location. If you called one of the ones that is not moving, I doubt that they would give a glowing report, their livelihood is at stake. The new location should be a lot better after development is complete. Going to make life in Belize City a little harder. Not all cruise lines are moving since NCL "owns" the new port.

....I suggest everyone call NCL and complain.

Suggestion noted...and ignored.

I know I'm not alone when I'd much rather have a nice clean safe port suitable for a nice relaxing beach day. It's nice to get off the ship, take a day off from touring, and kick back and spend the better part of the day laying on a beach.

Anything is better than the cesspool that is Belize City.

I wish this was going to be done by our January cruise. Belize was the most difficult port to choose an excursion for. There really is no choice in beach excursions (there is exactly one, which we chose). More options would have been nice! Caving/tubing is not our family's thing.

Been to Cozumel to many times now i stay on the ship.. Been to costa maya once went to maya chan and would go back tomorrow.. If you ever go to costa maya book maya chan !

I'm totally with you. I love Costa Maya specifically because of Maya Chan! I would not miss Jamaica at all or Cozumel once in awhile. Been there soooo many times. To me, it's just like Florida.

Belize City was one of my faves tho even with the tendering.

• 1 month later...

I wish Belize would do something with the money they collect to improve Belize City and the support for people.

Someone is making alot of money here and if you walk outside the fenced in area in Belize you know it is not going to improve conditions outside that area.