Carnival Sensation opinions

cruisescouter

Just sailed the Sensation. It was pretty clean (except for the buffet area where I saw tables with dirty dishes on them, but it was not like there were no other tables available). I did not need a separate key to get in my cabin, just my sign and sail card. The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive. Wee Jimmy was great. It was a great cruise.

It has been while since I was on that ship and it was my least favorite at the time. It was not the most clean and I didn't like that you needed a separate key to get into the room.

How have things changed since they refurbished? Any opinions?

We sail the Sensation all the time, have a B2B2B booked for next mth.

Your S&S card is your cabin key also.

We have found that their crew is the most friendly of all the ships we have sailed.

She is a old ship ( but so are we :D ) so you will see some age spots.

Food is good cabin is clean.

Char

I sailed on Sensation just this year, and really liked the ship. There was no longer a separate key to get into your cabin; your Sail & Sign card was the cabin key. The decor was still quite loud and heavy on the purple, although they toned down a few things, like repainting the hands on the ceiling of the piano bar from black-and-white to all-gray. Overall, my opinions were great, and the good far outweighed the bad.

The Good:

* Lively atmosphere.

* Easy to meet and get to know people due to the ship's relatively small size.

* Great itinerary, with some sailings staying in Nassau until 1:00 AM. (That means party! :D)

* Plenty of activities onboard.

* Good shows in the theater; it still has the old stage shows.

* Whimiscal decor that clearly say "fun ship!"

The Bad:

* Slow service in the MDR. (I blame Carnival's understaffing for this.)

* Music on the ship was heavy on the hip-hop and top 40, other genres were rarely played. (I like upbeat Latin or Caribbean; it fits the cruise mood.)

The Ugly:

* Nothing

This was my least favorite cruise. The ship was clean, and food was good, however, the staff onboard at the time were not as friendly as I have experienced on my other cruises. My room steward was the worst.

There was also a higher number of rowdy, sloppy drunk passengers onboard. Quite of few of them reminded me of "the drunk in the family" who I wouldn't go anywhere in public with, let alone a cruise vacation. Lol

I'm sure this was due to it being spring break time, and only a 3-day sailing. I won't be doing one of those again.

BTW- The Sign & Sail card is the room key.

Don't remember too much about it. We were on the Sensation in 2002 - when the 'Noro' or 'Norwalk' or whatever virus it was had saturated a great number of cruise ships. I was down within 36 hours of boarding and spent the remainder of the cruise either face down in the bed or bouncing my forehead off the plastic toilet rim - which, by the way, will bruise your forehead as badly as any porcelin...

DW and DD kept their hands dripping with sanitizer and had no problems - other than maintaining their balance as they climbed over me repeatedly.

The Sensation owes me a cruise!!!

Leon

Music on the ship was heavy on the hip-hop and top 40, other genres were rarely played. (I like upbeat Latin or Caribbean; it fits the cruise mood.)

The band last week did alot of Motown and the last night the had the Promenade deck ALIVE with latin and Caribbean. It was an asian four-piece band. Never found out their name. Also not a fan of hip-hop.

Our family of four just sailed the Sensation this past Christmas. The sail-n-sign card was also your room key. No separate key now. For our first cruise, the Sensation was just right. It was not overwhelming. Our staff was friendly and attentive. Room steward was wonderful and the one waiter we had the first two nights was excellent. And as someone else mentioned "Wee Jimmy", we enjoyed his energy.

The band last week did alot of Motown and the last night the had the Promenade deck ALIVE with latin and Caribbean. It was an asian four-piece band. Never found out their name. Also not a fan of hip-hop.

Hmm, maybe it depends on the sailing or the embarkation port. Last year on the Imagination, there was Latin music on the Promenade almost every night, and the stage always had a big crowd in front of it. The band spoke only in Spanish when they made announcements. It helped a lot meeting people, since it's customary in Latin dancing to switch partners periodically.

Just got off of her this morning, and yes she is showing her age but all in all it was clean.

The staff was wonderful, Wee Jimmy was a hoot. This was our third time on this ship and I'd sail it again in a heart beat.

Glad to hear this. We sail on her this Sunday.

We sailed on the Sensation last December and decided on going again this December. We loved the ship, yes we haven't been on others but we enjoyed our experience on the Sensation. The staff was amazing and upbeat they always remembered our names besides one issue of trying to get virgin drinks we had no problems but that was the bar staff. The ship was always clean, our room steward wonderful, the food was good no real complaints. As everyone else has stated the s&s cards are the room keys so it was very convenient.

Thanks for sharing, everyone! We sail her in 9 days and it's nice to hear the positives...although, I could make just about anything positive cuz I'm one of those annoying perpetually perky people, LOL!!

Happy sailing everyone!

Gina

We were on the Sensation 12/2010. The ship may be older, but it was in excellent shape. Sail and Sign card was the room key then as well. Crew was excellent and food was very good! We have been on two other Fantasy class ships since, but my wife still says she liked the Sensation best.

We booked our 1st CCL cruise for Aug 2010 (for our whole family of 5 plus DS's friend...and our friends were also going, family of 3). So, early spring of 2010, DH and I decided to drive down to FL to do a 3 day on the Sensation to get a feel for CCL. We went in March 2010 (not taking Spring Break into consideration), driving from MD. We had a good time but we were exhausted from the drive. We loved the ship and the cruise, even though it was a 3 day during spring break (we didn't notice anything too wild and crazy). We then went on to do our Aug family cruise on the Fascination (5 day) and loved that so much that DH and I did another sans kiddo cruise the following Feb (4 day on the Fascination). Driving to Jaxport is a tad better than driving to PC.

We have since done the Glory and the Pride and we always go back to the Fantasy class ships. Just got off the Imagination last week (gave in and flew for this one). Even though they are older ships, they are kept up very well and are pretty clean. The staff has always been great. We love the layout of these ships and they are not too crowded (like the Glory was). As far as dining goes, we noticed that traditional dining is a bit better than YTD on these ships (especially if you're a party of more than 2 or 4). I am considering the Fantasy for next year (with my mom)...we'll see (she's not a fan of the itin, but if I pay....).

Archived