Anyone concerned about sharks?

I think your chances of a shark attack at the beach in the Caribbean is pretty small. We've snorkeled all over and never have seen any. One of my sons is paranoid about sharks so asks everyone he sees (taxi drivers. tour operators, hotel personnel...you name it) before he goes into the water. No one has ever said there were shark attacks close to the beach. I admit it unnerves me in Florida, but we've never been scared in the Caribbean. That is until we see our first one!

My son just graduated high school, attending UVA in the fall. He and his friends went to Beach Week, 12 days ago. He reported that he and 2 friends were in the surf and a 10 foot shark swam up. The friend in the way back asked "Dude, is that a dolphin?". They swam like heck. I am so grateful they are okay. He is a lifeguard, and swimteam coach, but any outcome is possible with a shark.

See Dolphin = no Shark..... Dolphins Pardon my French Kick Shark Ass ... Its actually quite funny ... They Ram the Sharks Gills and then they have one big California roll :) :D

nah, not worried at all. here in the desert, the sharks have been pretty quiet this year. :)

I am happy to say that there have been no reports of shark attacks in Lake Tahoe, so no sharks but we do have some very mean trout

This would freak me out entirely if I was on a float surrounding with sharks. Do a google search on "Shark Psychology" and learn that Sharks strike when they are hungry, otherwise, they are beautiful! Should remaining silent and motionless help to "disquish" us as "non-fish" creatures? Make sure we bandage all wounds before going into the water - sharks can smell blood miles away!

T & J

Shark attacks are very rare as has been noted. But they do occur, and Florida gets its fair share. There are always a few cases, sometimes on the gulf side and sometimes on the Atlantic.

To me, shark stories are usually just an indication that summertime has arrived.

"I hear there are whales in Vegas"; I hear there are a lot of wails, too. :p

I just returned from Destin, FL, and we saw several sharks in the water, waist deep. My husband and I were in the water on inflatable floats, soaking up the sun, when we looked down and saw about forty sting rays. We were oooh'ing and ahhhh'ing over the rays when a seven foot long bull shark swam directly below our floats. It was beautiful, although I must admit that I freaked out a little bit.

I saw a three-footer while snorkeling just beyond where the waves break. While on a Wave Runner, several hundred yards out, we watched a gorgeous ten-foot shark follow a pack of rays.

Anyhow, they are definitely out there. It's their yard, if you know what I mean.

Just remember when floating on a float, raft, boogie board, surfboard or the like you look like a turtle to a shark.

I have lived in Fla over 40 years and grew up swimming in the waters of St Augustine by the pier where the fisherman bait the hooks..Never had a problem.

The only sharks that I worry about are the two legged variety..................

Archived