Anyone concerned about sharks?

Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but they just reported a 3rd shark attack on an Austrian tourist in the Gulf of Mexico.

I don't know how prevalent sharks are in Caribbean beaches, but it makes me a little nervous, mostly for my kids. I know the odds are better that you'll be struck by lightning, but what are the odds that 3 people will be bitten by a shark in the same vicinity, within a couple of weeks?

What are your thoughts?

Kim

I realize there have been many shark attacks hitting the papers recently, but if you really think of all the people who swim in the ocean daily, the % is very small of an attack. Its like worrying about a plane crash, it could happen, but we all still fly!

Well, we are leaving for Gulf Shores, Alabama tomorrow and I know that we are NOT going out very far in the ocean!!! We are staying in waist deep or less. Happy 4th of July!!

The majority of shark attacks occur in 3' of water.

Everyone in my family is a certified diver and most of us surf....sharks are in the water - period. Yes, most attacks on people (not surfers) occur where you can stand up. The only way to be 100% sure you wont get bit - dont go in the water. :( One good thing about the Caribbean - the water is usually very clear so at least you will see it coming :eek:

The "experts" are commenting that some of these, "jessie" for one,are happening because they were in very deep water...

We have an unusual thing going on here on our end of the Gulf Coast..

There are some sort of little creatures that have washed ashore. "some sort of shell creature" .

They are attracting the coolest little Bull Nose StingRay,that are feeding on them.

They are kinda little...But really cute...

However...They are afraid they may be attracting sharks to the shore...:eek:

Hey, the water is the sharks' territory. they come on our territory, we'd bite them, too.

I'm more put off by jellyfish. They can really be a nuisance if they're hitting. We were at Hilton Head last year, and they made the water all but unswimmable.

Ive been Living on the Beach all my life and swam with some of the worst specices in the sea and Ive never been attacked. Chances are in our Favor that you will never be attacked.There really isnt nothing to worry about. and Sharks are some of the most Beutiful Creatures in the sea. Also keep in Mind that the Ocean is another world the illusion of Safety that Ships and Resorts give are just that Illusions. Be mindful of the Danger but dont let it Interfere with the next Carona :)

Just remember that the second shark attack in Florida on the boy that lost his leg, he was fishing with his brother in waste deep water and they had bait. I am sure that the bait attracted the sharks to them.

I just returned from Destin, FL, and we saw several sharks in the water, waist deep. My husband and I were in the water on inflatable floats, soaking up the sun, when we looked down and saw about forty sting rays. We were oooh'ing and ahhhh'ing over the rays when a seven foot long bull shark swam directly below our floats. It was beautiful, although I must admit that I freaked out a little bit.

I saw a three-footer while snorkeling just beyond where the waves break. While on a Wave Runner, several hundred yards out, we watched a gorgeous ten-foot shark follow a pack of rays.

Anyhow, they are definitely out there. It's their yard, if you know what I mean.

I just returned from Destin, FL, and we saw several sharks in the water, waist deep. My husband and I were in the water on inflatable floats, soaking up the sun, when we looked down and saw about forty sting rays. We were oooh'ing and ahhhh'ing over the rays when a seven foot long bull shark swam directly below our floats. It was beautiful, although I must admit that I freaked out a little bit.

I saw a three-footer while snorkeling just beyond where the waves break. While on a Wave Runner, several hundred yards out, we watched a gorgeous ten-foot shark follow a pack of rays.

Anyhow, they are definitely out there. It's their yard, if you know what I mean.

I think that would have been the end of my swimming!! That really would have frightened me.

Guest OBAYbee

I have several with a “school” of sharks very close to shore and people within striking distance that were taken from our condo in Destin. Very eerie. If I ever figure out how to upload them I will post them here.

I never have worried about sharks, and don't intend to start now. I enjoy swimming in the ocean too much. I don't think there is any increased frequency in the occurence of attacks or sightings - they just alwaya get a lot of press.

Now jellyfish - those will keep me out of the water.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but they just reported a 3rd shark attack on an Austrian tourist in the Gulf of Mexico.

I don't know how prevalent sharks are in Caribbean beaches, but it makes me a little nervous, mostly for my kids. I know the odds are better that you'll be struck by lightning, but what are the odds that 3 people will be bitten by a shark in the same vicinity, within a couple of weeks?

What are your thoughts?

Kim

Thousands of people, maybe millions swim in the ocean every single day. There are not even daily shark attacks. The people that were attacked recently were attacked near someone fishing with live bait. Not that it does not happen sometimes but I have been diving for years and never had even one problem. If they don' think I am some choice prime on the human buffet then most people are safe!

I think if it's my fate to get my leg bitten off by a shark, then I will. If it's meant to be and I don't go into the water, well frankly the shark will find a way to come on shore and get me. I'll be in the ocean having a great time!

I also love swimming in the ocean (or the Gulf in my case), and the sighting of a few sharks won't scare me away. Like others have said, statistically, the chance of being attacked in minute.

OBAYbee, I could also see sharks from my condo balcony. You're right, pretty strange.

Archived