What will you take with you next cruise?

Vict0riann

Our next cruise is 28 days (with a 42-day one after that), and I swear I will take my electric toothbrush. I really miss it when I don't have it. DH can carry it for me! (He takes all the "electronics" in his hand-carry bag.)

I will probably bring too much!

"Fire hazard" they said. Ooops, I have five of them at home, I need to go back.

My house hasn't burned down. They gave it back on the last day.

My BIL had a cube tap in his carry-on and they didn't bother him.

Go figure.

I'm thinking about bringing a small fan, just incase the cabin does not get cold enough for me.:eek:

I think HAL will give you a fan if you ask. I like a fan for the white noise as well as the stirring of the air.

I'd like to bring my new puppy; I took her to Calif and will take her to Abq, but somehow, I think HAL would frown on it.

Otherwise taking the usual: sticky pads, highlighter, 3 enlarged copies of the itinerary from cruise docs for taking notes, electric toothbrush!, travel alarm, bag in a teeny pouch for excursions, and a large thermal mug for bringing coffee back to the cabin. And copies of passport in case of theft, which I carry ashore in Alaska, rather than the real deal.

Huh? Why would packing a power bar be against the rules?

HAL will provide you with a power bar if requested.

It is considered a risk because if passengers bring their own, the cruise line has no control over the condition of the bars. Think of frayed, defective cords and electrical fire. Not that most people would use a defective cord but it only takes one person---------

HAL will provide you with a power bar if requested.

It is considered a risk because if passengers bring their own, the cruise line has no control over the condition of the bars. Think of frayed, defective cords and electrical fire. Not that most people would use a defective cord but it only takes one person---------

I understand the concern but to some extent that's true of any electrical device. The only recent failure I've had, like three or four years ago, was a laptop AC converter that got hot enough to actually melt the plastic transformer case but didn't catch fire. I've never had any line take my power bar away but that may be just luck.

I am bringing a battery-powered light that is motion activated. I'll put it in the bathroom for late night visits. That way I don't have to turn on the bathroom light waking my roommate before I can close the door. (It is small and easy to pack.)

Great idea, where would these be sold?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I understand the concern but to some extent that's true of any electrical device. The only recent failure I've had, like three or four years ago, was a laptop AC converter that got hot enough to actually melt the plastic transformer case but didn't catch fire. I've never had any line take my power bar away but that may be just luck.

When I used to do laptops I found that the converter got extremely hot if I was using the laptop while plugged in. Hot enough that I had to make sure it was on the bare floor beside the carpet if I was using it in a chair. It was a concern, for sure.

Since the converters will be happy with either European or North American voltage I take along a European adaptor to give me more plug in use. Also I take a plug with three receptacles to use as well. Since I am only charging devices there would be no overload.

Next time I would bring a little flashlight or night light. It gets pretty dark in the room at night when you have to use the bathroom luckily I had a pen with a light at one end. Came in very handy.

I got an LED cariboner which I now carry on my ID card carrier.

A couple packages of origami paper and an appropriate design. Last trip it was penguins and had a great time folding and leaving little "flocks" for people to take as we approached and sailed in Antarctica. Great fun.

~TC

Small flashlight, alarm clock, OTC medications for any number of "ills", "sea bands" and Bonine, plug strip, night light, sticky notes, highlighter, paper clips, a few rubber bands, electrical tape (fixes a lot of things!), regular scotch tape, pen/pencil, corkscrew, spare curling iron (because I would never leave the cabin if my regular one blew up!), travel umbrella and disposable rain ponchos, day pack, and .....sunscreen!!

Oh, and plenty of plastic zip lock bags of all sizes!

Archived