Cruise insurance advice

lovey1103

Hoping everyone is having a lovely weekend. My DH has Parkinsons Disease and requires frequent medication tweeks and office visits. I am in the process of booking a TA in April with Princess and am thinking through cruise insurance. My concern is the 60 day "look back" period. Any suggestions from my CC friends as to insurance? We are platinum thus qualify for the better policy, however, I am nervous about the 60 day and evacuation to the nearest medical facility.

Thoughts and thanks

Lovey

Hoping everyone is having a lovely weekend. My DH has Parkinsons Disease and requires frequent medication tweeks and office visits. I am in the process of booking a TA in April with Princess and am thinking through cruise insurance. My concern is the 60 day "look back" period. Any suggestions from my CC friends as to insurance? We are platinum thus qualify for the better policy, however, I am nervous about the 60 day and evacuation to the nearest medical facility.

Thoughts and thanks

Lovey

Have you search for other options such as www.insuremytrip.com

On that site, you can compare different policies to meet your needs. Hint, if you find a plan that fits you, purchase it directly from the insurance company. If you buy it from insuremytrip it may cost you a bit more.

We are platinum thus qualify for the better policy, however, I am nervous about the 60 day and evacuation to the nearest medical facility.
Princess insurance, and many independent insurance policies, cover only to the nearest facility. But that could be 3,000 miles from home. I'd call Berkley Care (the Princess insurance provider) and any other insurance company you're considering and ask your questions. You will want to know exactly what the 60-day look back means and you want to be sure that the insurance will cover you not just to the nearest facility but home.

I'd also suggest getting MedJet Assist insurance for your peace of mind. There are times when flying commercially will either delay your return home or one of you is unable to fly commercially. MedJet will fly you (both) from anywhere in the world to anywhere you want to go in a medically-equipped jet. You can purchase short-term insurance or an annual policy.

I agree with Pam about MedJet Assist. I've been getting a policy from them for several cruises now. As I only cruise once a year, or 18 months, I just get a policy that covers me for each cruise.

I agree with Pam about MedJet Assist. I've been getting a policy from them for several cruises now. As I only cruise once a year, or 18 months, I just get a policy that covers me for each cruise.
It's not limited to cruises. As long as you're 150 miles from home, you can call them. So if you travel for business or if a child is at college on the opposite coast, for instance, you can take advantage of it. I read that someone's kid broke their leg while in college and MedJet flew them back across the country to recuperate at home. :)

You absolutely need a policy that offers a pre-existing-condition waiver. Many 3rd-party policies do if you purchase your policy in a certain amount of time; some require you to insure the whole trip.

It might also be helpful if you obtain a Dr. letter saying you are fit to make your trip as of the policy purchase date.

Guest maddycat

I buy our travel insurance through The Trip Insurance Store (tripinsurancestore.com). Their site is very informative. If you have any questions call and speak to one of their agents. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. I buy our insurance (lately it has been Travel Safe) with in 21 days of booking a cruise so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered.

I also have Med Jet Assist. If something happens and one of us is hospitalized I want to be sure that we will be transfered to the hospital of our choice, our local hospital.

Archived