Snorkeling From a Roatan Beach... Again!

Armedaneian

We've snorkeled from both Half Moon Bay and West Bay Beach. Half Moon Bay was nice, but involved a long swim to the reef. West Bay Beach was awesome, and we may go back there, but this time we're docking at Mahogany Bay and it's a pretty long drive. :( Does anyone know of comparable beach-snorkeling that's closer to Mahogany Bay? Thank you all for your thoughts! :cool:

these pictures are from a shore dive from CocoView Resort Roatan

http://www.cocoviewresort.com/index.php

dd was a research intern there this summer - CocoView sponsors two interns from ALABAMA each year ... http://www.cocoviewresort.com/internship.php

a premier dive resort they however don't take day visitors>>>

Cruise Ship & Day Guests: Coco View is a dedicated dive resort catering to the guests that have chosen CoCo View as their vacation destination. As a common practice we do not accept cruise ship, walk-in or day guests. This allows us to focus our resources on our registered guests, many whom have commented that they appreciate the privacy and security that this policy provides.

so if you want to enjoy this dive, you'll need to do a dive vacation rather than a cruise . . .

Aerial120PSvivid.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest Maya Key. It's an island and there's not only a lot to see and do there, the snorkeling is AWESOME!! It's like West Bay. Tons of stuff to see. You walk down the pier and go in and you're instantly in the coral reef. You can follow the "path" out to the big blue drop off to no where. Completely amazing.

Now I do know that Maya Key is close (within spitting distance :D) of where NCL docks, however we were just on a Carnival cruise a few months ago and docked at Mahogany Bay and you could see it from there.

This IS a cruise ship sponsored excursion and they changed it up a few years ago that the ONLY way to go there is by booking with the ship. So, I would imagine it's pretty easy to get to (since you have to go by boat) and they should pick you up right at the dock and zip on over to the island. It's well worth it in my opinion.

If you look at this picture below, it was taken while we were on the Dream in port. If you look in the middle of the picture, you will see the airport runway. At the end of it, that's Maya Key. Not far at all and definitely not far when you are on a boat.

P5140532-L.jpg

If you want to read my full review with TONS of pictures in the review of Maya Key, there's a link in my signature. Just click on it (and make sure you go to the right post as noted in the signature line) and you will find pictures of everything on the island and TONS of snorkeling pictures. It has been one of the best snorkeling days we have had in a long time. :)

Archived