Not impressed with Ocean Blue Menu

BrPanthers99

Rule of thumb...the more "upscale" the restaurant is, the smaller the portions are

I totally understand this, but I've had $400pp tasting menus at places like Guy Savoy with larger portions, and six to nine courses! It would be fine if it was a tasting menu, but some of the entrees were no more than a 1/4 cup total food, and some of the apps were maybe two or three tablespoons, so with only two course, it's no wonder we were hungry. The scallops and pork belly were divine, and very rich, so I wouldn't want more of that, but at least provide a few veggies or something on the side! I'm completely serious, it was three medium sized scallops (bigger than bay scallops, smaller than the sea scallops we get off the boat here) with a small piece of pork belly, and nothing else. They wouldn't even give us extra bread when we asked (the bread was special and delicious, but only one small piece each). I hope things have changed since our sailing...

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Interesting - and not the first account of that I've read!

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with the steak (yes, I know... at a "seafood" place). But then again, I'm always up for a trip to O'Sheehan's !!

Tom

The way I see it, even though the dishes were tiny, they were special. I wouldn't change a thing there, except maybe to provide a bit more "filler food" (like a few veggies or specially roasted potatoes or something) so that you leave a bit more satisfied with what you spent. In all, it was fabulous, but don't think I'd do it again for more than the two of us, and maybe only once or twice for us two.

Robin

I totally understand this, but I've had $400pp tasting menus at places like Guy Savoy with larger portions, and six to nine courses! It would be fine if it was a tasting menu, but some of the entrees were no more than a 1/4 cup total food, and some of the apps were maybe two or three tablespoons, so with only two course, it's no wonder we were hungry. The scallops and pork belly were divine, and very rich, so I wouldn't want more of that, but at least provide a few veggies or something on the side! I'm completely serious, it was three medium sized scallops (bigger than bay scallops, smaller than the sea scallops we get off the boat here) with a small piece of pork belly, and nothing else. They wouldn't even give us extra bread when we asked (the bread was special and delicious, but only one small piece each). I hope things have changed since our sailing...

Robin

LOL....I don't doubt it.

I'm really not into "fine cuisine"....but the last time I ate "upscale" I had to go to a deli and buy a sandwich. I came out hungrier than I went in...because those little portions only serve to whet the appetite.

But...as long as people pay...they'll keep the portions small.

I think it's important to note that the $49 is a surcharge, on top of what each cruiser pays for their basic meals. It's not the total charge for your dinner. However, as is often mentioned , no one is forced to go there. I actually think it's a plus for NCL to give Breakaway and Getaway passengers this additional upscale option. We will likely give it a try when we get around to trying Breakaway, but I hope they reconsider and add a little something to their main courses! Especially since I hear you only get 1 choice of an appetizer, entree and dessert.

The scallops and pork belly were divine, and very rich, so I wouldn't want more of that, but at least provide a few veggies or something on the side! I'm completely serious, it was three medium sized scallops (bigger than bay scallops, smaller than the sea scallops we get off the boat here) with a small piece of pork belly, and nothing else. They wouldn't even give us extra bread when we asked (the bread was special and delicious, but only one small piece each). I hope things have changed since our sailing...Robin

I had the mussels which were delish! I did ask for more bread and they did bring another plate of it......as I loved dipping the bread into the sauce of he mussels. I also had the scallops and pork belly, along with dessert. My niece had the calamari and Delmonico steak, the steak was rather large. We both had dessert and the ice tea is to die for.....I think they refilled my glass 4 times! We both left satisfied. We do tend to eat as last as possible in the MDR for breakfast and as late as we can for lunch with our dinner here being around 8 p.m. I do know that they are thinking about adding veggies.....just not sure if and when they will and if it'll start on the Breakaway or the Getaway.

Harriet

Oh, and I was lucky to book this online for my June Breakaway cruise at the lower rate.....before they raised it to $49.00. However, I do plan to go back on the Getaway cruise. I simply LOVED those mussels!

Edited by hpecorari

I had the mussels which were delish! I did ask for more bread and they did bring another plate of it......as I loved dipping the bread into the sauce of he mussels. I also had the scallops and pork belly, along with dessert. My niece had the calamari and Delmonico steak, the steak was rather large. We both had dessert and the ice tea is to die for.....I think they refilled my glass 4 times! We both left satisfied. We do tend to eat as last as possible in the MDR for breakfast and as late as we can for lunch with our dinner here being around 8 p.m. I do know that they are thinking about adding veggies.....just not sure if and when they will and if it'll start on the Breakaway or the Getaway.

Harriet

Oh, and I was lucky to book this online for my June Breakaway cruise at the lower rate.....before they raised it to $49.00. However, I do plan to go back on the Getaway cruise. I simply LOVED those mussels!

Good to know they at least loosened up on the bread since we sailed lol! And happy to hear they might be adding veggies, it would help.. Maybe the first few sailings were considered "tests" for their menu.. Oh, but wasn't that scallop dish fabulous? Yumm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.. Not to worry, I just made an excellent seared foie gras appetizer and hubby picked up two four-pound lobsters, it's gonna be a fantastic night :D..

Robin

They wouldn't even give us extra bread when we asked (the bread was special and delicious, but only one small piece each). I hope things have changed since our sailing...

Robin

Please tell us how the server phrased his/her denial of your request for more bread? I can't even imagine this. I don't care how 'upscale' a restaurant fancies itself, that's just seems rude. I can't imagine how they told you no without you feeling it was rude, especially since the three of you paid, what?....$150 for dinner?!

Edited by Mrs. Squirrel
punctuation error

Please tell us how the server phrased his/her denial of your request for more bread? I can't even imagine this. I don't care how 'upscale' a restaurant fancies itself, that's just seems rude. I can't imagine how they told you no without you feeling it was rude, especially since the three of you paid, what?....$150 for dinner?!

I can't remember the phrasing, something like "oh, let me check with the kitchen, I don't think we can do that" and then she didn't bring any. Didn't really think she was rude, it was more like it wasn't her fault. When I asked if I could substitute another salad for dessert, she simply but firmly denied it, saying something like "sorry, the menu doesn't allow for substitutions". She was very nice, we felt it was more the fault of the management. This was the first sailing which didn't have Zakarian on board, maybe they were still ironing things out?

Robin

We were on the June 2 sailing and paid the $49 charge. The shrimp panzanella salad was delicious and a nice size portion. We were given a small loaf of mascarpone bread. More than enough for two. We both had the sole. Very large portion with a lot of sauce. We loved the desserts and couldn't finish the complimentary petit fours which were more like candy. They boxed them for us. Lovely service. Nice to go once. Might try the lobster roll if I go again.

Good to know they at least loosened up on the bread since we sailed lol! And happy to hear they might be adding veggies, it would help.. Maybe the first few sailings were considered "tests" for their menu.. Oh, but wasn't that scallop dish fabulous? Yumm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.. Not to worry, I just made an excellent seared foie gras appetizer and hubby picked up two four-pound lobsters, it's gonna be a fantastic night :D..

Robin

Love foie gras and cook it all the time. Also love sweetbreads but they're so hard to find here. Love lobsters too. LOL

I can't remember the phrasing, something like "oh, let me check with the kitchen, I don't think we can do that" and then she didn't bring any. Didn't really think she was rude, it was more like it wasn't her fault. When I asked if I could substitute another salad for dessert, she simply but firmly denied it, saying something like "sorry, the menu doesn't allow for substitutions". She was very nice, we felt it was more the fault of the management. This was the first sailing which didn't have Zakarian on board, maybe they were still ironing things out?

Robin

I didn't mean to imply that the server was rude to you. I just couldn't figure out how she could phrase it and not make you feel that the denial of more bread was rude. Sorry for the confusion. I am sure she was in an awkward position to have to say anything at all other than yes. And I agree with you, that is entirely management's fault.

Sounds like you had a nice evening.

You laugh, but the "small portions" in the MDR are part of illusion of fine dining, a remnant from "years gone by", when genuine fine dining was part of the cruise experience. :)

Size of the portions seems to be about right for most folks. But when it's not, there is no limit on what you can have. I've noticed on past cruises that people have asked for and recieved 4-5-6 lobster tails, or multiple steaks. They don't care. Specialty dining is a bit different, however, even there they will give you multiple sides, appetizers and deserts. Ocean Blue is the only exception. If you go hungry on a cruise, it's your own fault IMHO.:D

Not everyone who sails on Breakaay is from the Northeast where Dover sole is $40-$60 and everything is expensive. When one comes from say a small Midwest town they get sticker shock. $49pp+ for a meal? They can almost eat for a week at home on that budget. Oh, I forgot, they're on vacation.

Edited by Mulege

Not everyone who sails on Breakaay is from the Northeast where Dover sole is $40-$60 and everything is expensive. When one comes from say a small Midwest town they get sticker shock. $49pp+ for a meal? They can almost eat for a week at home on that budget. Oh, I forgot, they're on vacation.

Where do these people live that they can eat, and eat good, for almost $50.00 a week? I wanna move there!

Harriet

We ate at Ocean Blue in July. In all fairness, it was a rocky sea day and we weren't all feeling our best.

The staff were friendly and helpful. I usually don't like fried calamari, as they tend to be a bit chewy. These were not. Delicious and I'm still craving them. The Delminico steak was so good also.

I agree with Robin and the other op, that I really missed a side. Vegetable or something. I just felt something was missing. That's just my opinion of course.

Also, who wants to pay 200 (family of four)for a meal and leave hungry. Strange concept but not one I expect on a cruise. :)

Nobody is forcing them to eat at Ocean Blue! That's why it's freestyle dining.

The steak, as I understand it, is the ONLY prime grade beef you'll find anywhere in the fleet (not sure about the Chef's Table). I've tried Cagney's a few times, and have yet to be impressed. They can't touch what Carnival offers in their steakhouse -- where we've likely dined 100 times.

Tom

Good feedback, thanks! We do both enjoy really good steak. When push comes to shove, I'll probably pull the trigger on OB. Especially since it's an anniversary dinner.

Good feedback, thanks! We do both enjoy really good steak. When push comes to shove, I'll probably pull the trigger on OB. Especially since it's an anniversary dinner.

The ambience of OB beats Cagney's by FAR for an anniversary dinner - it's quite intimate and the service is excellent. You might surprise yourself with being a "foodie". To me, being a "foodie" means eating things I love and trying new things. Lots of stuff on the OB menu to try and everything we had was fantastic. Another thought may be Le Bistro, although the ambience of LB on the Breakaway isn't nearly as nice as on other ships (tables too close, gets loud, might be seated outside in the atrium - yuk).

Robin

I'm from the Midwest, and while I recognize it's expensive, it's also vacation and would have no issue paying $50pp for a great meal. Plus a bottle of wine makes it easily a $150 meal.

My wife and I are going to celebrate our anniversary on Breakaway next May and I'm considering OB for our anniversary night dinner. Neither of us are foodies and frankly if it weren't our anniversary I wouldn't even consider it. I really wonder whether we'd enjoy ourselves more at Cagneys but I hear the steak at OB is unbeatable on board. Any other non-foodies have any thoughts here?

I really couldn't care less if it's Chef Zakarian or Chef Boyardee cooking my meal as long as I enjoy it.

If you want a specialty restaurant then go for it. I cruised breakaway this past June and I didn't eat once at a speciality. If you eat at manhattan room and tell them it's your anniversary I'm sure they'll make it special

If you want a specialty restaurant then go for it. I cruised breakaway this past June and I didn't eat once at a speciality. If you eat at manhattan room and tell them it's your anniversary I'm sure they'll make it special

A free anniversary cake is what you'll get

• 4 months later...
I just got off the Breakaway and ate at Ocean Blue while we were on board. We were celebrating our anniversary and the servers took great care of us. The food was very good and presentation was nice as well.

I had the dover sole, which is never less than 40-50 on a menu here in the NY area, when you can find it.

Since I have a food allergy, I spoke directly with the chef whi indicated that Zakarian is on board almost every weekend when they dock in NYC to check quality of provisions, etc. She even joked that he had missed the last 2 weeks as he was filming Iron Chef.

2011 nyc price guide for dover sole

http://thepricehike.com/post/6112952760/dover-sole-price-guide-2011