UHT milk

callow

I have just returned from a 4 night cruise on Oceana. The only milk available was UHT. Is this a recent thing? It does spoil the taste of a nice cup of tea.

From past cruises I don't remember being given it during breakfast and I am sure that at the drink areas in the buffets there was a fresh milk dispenser. Now they only have pods of UHT.

I have just returned from a 4 night cruise on Oceana. The only milk available was UHT. Is this a recent thing? It does spoil the taste of a nice cup of tea.

From past cruises I don't remember being given it during breakfast and I am sure that at the drink areas in the buffets there was a fresh milk dispenser. Now they only have pods of UHT.

I cannot remember a fresh milk dispenser but certainly all the milk is long life. And it is all taken on board in Southampton.

The logistics of doing anything else would be complicated

Gan Canny

Dai

The milk served in all the restaurants is UHT as I cannot drink it even in tea! If I am desperate I have a 'spot' of the skimmed UHT out of the breakfast jugs! Not so bad when we are cruising out of Southampton I can take a carton of Pure semi skimmed milk for my tea once that's gone its either black or no more tea until we get home!

I'm disappointed to see that there's no fresh milk available. I will be travelling transatlantic on Ventura in October with a 16 month old who needs about 500mls of full fat milk a day and I had assumed it would be like Celebrity where little cartons were available at breakfast. This isn't the case then?

There were 2 milk dispensers on Aurora in July - both in the buffet.

We filled a small jug and took it back to the cabin - thought didn't last long. In fact I was quite dubious about just how "fresh" the milk in the dispensers was.

I bought a 2 pint of milk the day before embarkation, froze it and used it as a ice block in a cool bag the next day. It kept our wine cool in a cool bag until we got in our cabin and then kept fresh for over a week once thawed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm disappointed to see that there's no fresh milk available. I will be travelling transatlantic on Ventura in October with a 16 month old who needs about 500mls of full fat milk a day and I had assumed it would be like Celebrity where little cartons were available at breakfast. This isn't the case then?

Even on Celebrity the little cartons are long life milk, whether full fat or semi skimmed, but their taste is much better than it used to be, and similar cartons are available on P&O. On a 14 day cruise it is not practical to take supermarket fresh milk, since it only has about a 7 day shelf life.

Tesco do sell their so called "Pure" milk, which is advertised as filtered to prolong life, but I suspect it has also been high temperature pasteurised as well.

Even on Celebrity the little cartons are long life milk, whether full fat or semi skimmed, but their taste is much better than it used to be, and similar cartons are available on P&O. On a 14 day cruise it is not practical to take supermarket fresh milk, since it only has about a 7 day shelf life.

Tesco do sell their so called "Pure" milk, which is advertised as filtered to prolong life, but I suspect it has also been high temperature pasteurised as well.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. I don't drink milk myself (and didn't have a baby to worry about on the Celebrity cruise) and I just assumed those little cartons at the Celebrity buffet were fresh milk.

I think I'll take formula for the baby just to be on the safe side. Hopefully I can buy some near the port in Southampton as we're flying in from Ireland and luggage space is at a premium.

From the P&O FAQs...

Do you serve fresh milk on board?

Wherever possible, fresh milk (full fat & semi skimmed) is served for the first week of the cruise. Long life milk is served when fresh milk is not available.

Doesn't seem to ring true based on people's comments here!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived