Advice for our next cruise please :-)

wobblybob74

Hello all,

We have cruised twice now, both times with Princess, both times on the Grand and both times around the Med., sailing from Southampton. Those who accuse us of having no imagination are probably correct! :o

Mrs Wobblybob doesn't want to sail from Southampton again, as the Bay of Biscay caused her rather a lot of bother so I guess we're looking at a fly-cruise. She would also rather try a different cruise line this time, not because we don't like Princess (far from it!) but because we fancy trying something new. Ideally, we'd like it to be more or less the same 'vibe' as Princess and more or less the same sort of price. Destination wise, we'd consider the Canaries, the Caribbean and, at a push, the Greek Islands.

Suggestions and recommendations would be most gratefully received.

Cheers!

It sounds like you are most interested in warm weather destinations but you might want to consider a Baltic cruise. It is a fantastic cruise and no flights and no Bay of Biscay! I've also heard good things about the fjords and Iceland.

Caribbean in the winter (Nov - March).

Med or Canaries April to September, mebbe edging into October. But the Med can be very hot July & Aug, even June.

If it's to be the Caribbean, P&O is your best bet - they charter aircraft which means reasonable fly-cruise prices, gives you a choice of UK airports, everyone on the flight is on your ship, you don't see your luggage between your UK airport & your cabin, no airport formalities, your aircraft taxi's to the perimeter road & you walk all of about 30 yards from aircraft to bus, which takes you to the port. All very easy, seamless & civilised. (nb you may be offered the option of a BA scheduled flight. OK its a bit more comfy & more freebie drinks, but the food is equally inedible & you miss out on that seamless transfer). On your last day you have the run of the ship, food & facilities (except cabin) until your flight is called, usually mid to late afternoon for an overnite flight. None of the usual nonsense of being thrown off the ship about 8am/9am.

Other Brit ships offer the same seamless transfers, but P&O is closest to your Princess experience - they're stablemates (or they would be if they had four legs :rolleyes:), though P&O is more "British" & mainly Brit passengers. Lower on-board costs too, on P&O & other Brit ships - especially if your name is due to certain over-indulgence. :p

US ships involve flights to Florida, often indirect with a change of aircraft at a US hub such as Atlanta, ESTA visa required, the long queues to pass through the oh-so-amicable :rolleyes: US immigration, & the usual airport zoo & transfers.

Canaries aren't my scene.

Don't dismiss Greek islands, esp if on a cruise which includes Venice, Croatia, Istanbul. Mykonos & Santorini are especially good islands to visit.

P&O offer some fly-cruises to the Med, but so do pretty-well all the cruise lines.

P&O (& Cunard) now offer two fares, "vantage" & "getaway". Vantage includes a few extras but IMHO is seriously over-priced. And don't believe the "price promise" on vantage fares - it's not worth the paper it's written on, as many folk have discovered to their enormous cost & it's been pilloried by the media.

JB :)

The only line I see doing trips 'around' the Canaries is NCL, out of Malaga or Barcelona. Many people greatly enjoy that line, but I don't think it compares at all to Princess.

What are the things you enjoyed about Princess? Food, style, ambiance, entertainment; mention what you enjoyed. Likewise, what did you not enjoy and what would you have preferred to be different? That may help decide whether NCL would fit your style or not.

As for the Caribbean, there are many choices. The lines most close in style and demographics to Princess in that region would be Holland America and Celebrity. If you have never been to that area on a cruise, probably any itinerary would do. My favorites personally are the southern Caribbean, and if you are flying all that way anyhoo, take a 10 or 12 day instead of a 7. JohnBull makes some very good points on ease (or lack thereof) of travel to Florida. Heathrow queues notwithstanding ;)

I think if you like Princess, it's worth looking at the med fly cruises with Celebrity. If you are used to American style service, and 'can do' attitude they are probably much nearer to Princess than P&O. I say this as I've never sailed Princess, but have sailed a lot with P&O, and once we'd sailed Celebrity, there was no looking back for us. We have sailed UK/UK and from Med ports with them. Brilliant !

Good luck deciding

Lou

p.s if you are looking for next year, don't forget the deals with beverage packages available at the moment, and flight at £149

I am familiar with most of the popular American lines in the Caribbean and not many do the summer cruises. I think Celebrity probably comes closest to the Princess experiencs and Holland American runs a close second. For a more active cruise, I would recommend Royal Caribbean. The deciding factor would be itinerary and price. I would also choose Ft Laderdale as the departure port.

I do noy know anything about the lines that operate from other countries, but I would certainly check on those too. Another suggestion would be to find a cruise from England to The US and cross the Atlantic in the fall.

Lots of choices in cruising and I am sure you will find a great one that both you and Mrs. W can enjoy.

Archived