Better family cruise option

minerva78

I think I have finally narrowed down 2 possibilities for our first family cruise next May, but I'm really torn about what would be best since we've never sailed with our girls before. They will be 5 and 6 at the time we'd cruise. The two options we're looking at are:

6 day on Carnival Breeze out of Miami going to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel or

7 day on Carnival Liberty out of Port Canaveral going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya.

The pros for the Breeze are that there are so many more eating options on the ship, a waterpark, thrill theater and it seems to be more enjoyable for kids with all of the fun things to do. I think I would also prefer a beach day in Grand Cayman than Costa Maya and I really would like to try a cove balcony. The cruise is also a few hundred dollars cheaper, although it is one less day. The major con is that it is a longer drive to Miami (12 hours vs 9 hours to Port Canaveral) and since we'd need to rent a car and hotel and parking options are more expensive, the total cost of this trip will be about as much as the 7 day.

The pros for the Liberty are that I would really love to visit Roatan again, and we would do more of a cultural tour that day. Since I'll be taking the girls out of Pre-k and kindergarten, I really want some good educational/cultural opportunities. The other main pros are the shorter drive and the cheaper hotel/parking options. The main con is that there aren't as many bells and whistles on the Liberty as those on the Breeze.

For those of you who cruised with kids this age, do you find the itinerary or the ship more important? Both itineraries have some educational options, although I think Roatan would be best for this. If it were just DH and I, the itinerary on the Liberty would win hands down, because we love more cultured ports. But I did find a fun option in Ocho Rios at Turtle River Falls and Gardens, because my oldest girl said she really wanted to feed birds. :). We would likely spend more time on the ship with the Breeze itinerary, because we'd probably only be in port half days in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman.

So what are your opinions?

It's an either/or.....at that age, it really won't matter. You're going on a family vacation. That's all. This isn't going to be a big educational experience, so don't worry about that! The main thing is to have fun with your family!

Pick whichever is the most affordable, and the best cabin. I would prefer to drive less, if it were me! And, not having to pack for an overnight stay prior to boarding the ship would sway me to Port Can.!

We have been on both of these ships and to all of these ports many times. I would need to know how adventurous your children are. My DD is 8. She has been on 10 cruises and is totally fearless. Based on my child, I would chose the Breeze. The water slides are really fun and the thrill theater is sooo neat. But if you have children that are reserved and more timid - the slides and theater may be too much for them, thus voiding the major attractions of this ship in my opinion. On the Breeze, with a 5 or 6 year old, we would climb Dunn's River Falls and swim with the stingrays - both awesome experiences. There are many who feel the falls are dangerous and the rays are too scary for their children. My DD loves both!

We just returned from Cozumel and did the excursion to Coba - INCREDIBLE. There are only a few Myan ruins that still allow you to climb to the top. This is the 3rd highest in the Americas. It is a long day with a 1 mile hike each way. Totally worth it with an 8 year old - not sure I'd try it with kiddos any younger. Tulum would be much more doable, I think. Also, Punta Sur is great. You can climb the lighthouse, see the crocodile lagoon and spend the day at a fabulous beach.

The Liberty is a nice ship also, but not as much to do. We love this itinerary. In Belize, our DD has done the cavetubing(at age 4 & 6) and climbed the Mayan temple at Lamanai(at 7 years old). Lamanai is also INCREDIBLE, but I think it would be a long day for any younger. I'd save this for when they are a little older. We do charity work in Roatan, so the children there have a special place in our hearts. There are gorgeous beaches there and two monkey parks. South Shore Canopy zipline is really fun! Again, the monkey park and zipline may or may not suit your children-our DD loves them both.

These are both great options. If you are looking at total budget, you may want to factor in the cost of excursions. Belize is a port that you definitely need an excursion - not a port to "just get off and walk around". Excursions are a little pricey there - but lots of fun.

By the sounds and looks of it, you're leaning towards Carnival Breeze itenirary. I'd go with that since that's what you're hinting and first impulse and instincts. Go with it and don't look back cause you know you'll have fun regardless what you pick!

By the sounds and looks of it, you're leaning towards Carnival Breeze itenirary. I'd go with that since that's what you're hinting and first impulse and instincts. Go with it and don't look back cause you know you'll have fun regardless what you pick!

I really do think I was leaning towards the Breeze (at least for today, lol). Then after weeks of acting like he could care less which cruise I picked, as long as I picked something, my DH tells me he really wants to go back to Roatan and Belize. :rolleyes: Of all the times to give me his opinion, he waits until I've almost made my decision - ugh. So I think I'm leaning towards the Liberty, although I think my kids would like the Breeze more. But the Liberty is a shorter drive, which would likely make us all happier. It's hard to find something that will make everyone happy!

At ages 5 and 6, I'd do whatever makes Mom and Dad happy. The kids will have fun whatever ship they're on and whatever itinerary they do. And they're not paying. ;)

I would agree with this. We did the Dream in 2012 with the same Western Itinerary and loved it. We are taking our kids on the same in January, but our kids will be 7,8,10,13,16,18,20,21 so its a different ball of wax. I don't plan to "make" it educational though, since it is our family vacation. I definitely wouldn't be leaning towards purposefully educational if they were pre and k.

We homeschool and have a tendency to make everything educational, so we have to be purposeful when its time to just have fun :p

At ages 5 and 6, I'd do whatever makes Mom and Dad happy. The kids will have fun whatever ship they're on and whatever itinerary they do. And they're not paying. ;)

Very good point! I read DH your post and he completely agreed. :D

Talking more to DH I realized he really could care less about Guy's Burgers or the Mexican cantina on the Liberty. But we both would prefer to go to Roatan. Then on a hunch, I went on Google maps to see how long it would take to get to New Orleans, and it's the exact same distance from here to Miami, about 11-12 hours. The Dream has an itinerary in late April going to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel, but 3 sea days. DH said he would much rather prefer being on a ship with the Indian tandoori and pasta bar, I would prefer a ship with waterworks and a cove balcony, so the Dream may be our answer! I know it doesn't have as much as the Breeze, but it has a lot if the things we want, including the itinerary we want, minus Costa Maya. I don't know why I'm a little hesitant to sail out of New Orleans, maybe just because I've never researched sailing from this port, but if I can get over my hesitation, this may be our answer. Either way, next Friday I'm putting a deposit down on something!

For our family (primarily my 7 yo DS) activities for him is top priority on a ship. So we choose a ship that has a waterpark (Breeze 2 times now). This is something he loves & spends a lot of time at so we wouldn't consider a ship without it.

As for the ports, we normally find something at every locations that suits all of us.

Very good point! I read DH your post and he completely agreed. :D

Talking more to DH I realized he really could care less about Guy's Burgers or the Mexican cantina on the Liberty. But we both would prefer to go to Roatan. Then on a hunch, I went on Google maps to see how long it would take to get to New Orleans, and it's the exact same distance from here to Miami, about 11-12 hours. The Dream has an itinerary in late April going to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel, but 3 sea days. DH said he would much rather prefer being on a ship with the Indian tandoori and pasta bar, I would prefer a ship with waterworks and a cove balcony, so the Dream may be our answer! I know it doesn't have as much as the Breeze, but it has a lot if the things we want, including the itinerary we want, minus Costa Maya. I don't know why I'm a little hesitant to sail out of New Orleans, maybe just because I've never researched sailing from this port, but if I can get over my hesitation, this may be our answer. Either way, next Friday I'm putting a deposit down on something!

Sounds perfect! We got married on a cruise out of New Orleans. I loved sailing from there. I just love New Orleans in general. It's probably my favorite city i've ever been to. And i've been to most of the big cities in the country and lived in NYC. Theres just this authentic charm that NO has that i've yet to feel in any other city.

Archived