Our Splendid Splendor cruise (with pics) 8/13/13

Jamman54

Great review! Did you do a review for any other cruise, like the pride perhaps ill be on her next year.

The Splendor was my first photo review, followed by the Fantasy this past February. I plan on doing another photo review of our Liberty cruise in August.

I have done many of the "standard" reviews that can be found in the review section of this and several other forums. However, for some reason I never reviewed either of our Pride cruises.

We did take pictures though, and these can be seen by clicking the links below.

Pride-9/11/2011

Pride-12/25/2011

Edited by Jamman54

Another good Splendor review??? You didn't get sick??? What up widdat??

Jimmy, quit stirring the pot. LOL. On that thread YOU posted:

"Haven't had a cold in 10 years?! I guess you were due. Not sure how that is the ships fault. Another CC member just came back from Splendor and loved it! It does suck getting sick on vacation. But it happens."

Edited by tinyrose

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff,

As many others have stated, thank you for taking time to post this review. I will be taking this exact itinerary in June and am so looking forward to it. It's been 12 years since I've been on a cruise and it's a birthday present to myself, traveling solo. You have helped flesh out the ports, which I really don't care about that much anyway (I want more sea days!).

Sincerely,

Trisha in Nashville

Jeff,

As many others have stated, thank you for taking time to post this review. I will be taking this exact itinerary in June and am so looking forward to it. It's been 12 years since I've been on a cruise and it's a birthday present to myself, traveling solo. You have helped flesh out the ports, which I really don't care about that much anyway (I want more sea days!).

Sincerely,

Trisha in Nashville

Thanks for reading and glad it helped. I'm sure you will have a GREAT time on the Splendor!!

i just wanted to say, thank you for all your reviews especially this one! i am re-reading it again since i will be on her on may 12th. i am so giddy that i am now in single digits and its becoming more and more real. have a great day!

Jeff,

Thanks for a great review and all the pictures. I'll be on the Splendor when she comes to Norfolk in 2015! Your thread here has me excited already!

My wife and I have cruised many times, but this will be the first cruise for my Mom and Dad. Looks like a great ship for them to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:)Great pictures, your family vacation looked great,my I seek some help? I am having to use a w/c for long distances d/t back injury. I have been on the Glory 2 times and sometimes I was ran over,not kidding, by other passengers, no kidding, and let's not mention the elevators , very little kindness I ending up taking off 1 leg rest, walking the wheelchair as far as I could sit for a while until the back spasm ended get up and walk a bit more, or else people would run me down, particularly at buffets, Made me very sad:(, how do u think I will do on the Splendor ,and can my w/c go off the boat if we have to talk a boat to get off? Going Oct 16 2014, I eat at buffets at off times and try not to leave the ship, but your review made it sound like so much fun, do you think I can go off in Nassau and Bahmas, it will take forever to even get down the gangplank if I was run over like before. Thanks again

:)Great pictures, your family vacation looked great,my I seek some help? I am having to use a w/c for long distances d/t back injury. I have been on the Glory 2 times and sometimes I was ran over,not kidding, by other passengers, no kidding, and let's not mention the elevators , very little kindness I ending up taking off 1 leg rest, walking the wheelchair as far as I could sit for a while until the back spasm ended get up and walk a bit more, or else people would run me down, particularly at buffets, Made me very sad:(, how do u think I will do on the Splendor ,and can my w/c go off the boat if we have to talk a boat to get off? Going Oct 16 2014, I eat at buffets at off times and try not to leave the ship, but your review made it sound like so much fun, do you think I can go off in Nassau and Bahmas, it will take forever to even get down the gangplank if I was run over like before. Thanks again

Sorry that you had so much trouble with your fellow passengers on the Glory. I would hope that those in wheelchairs would be given a little leeway. My legs (knees) are not in the best of shape, and sometime in the future I will probably need some kind of assistance, so I can relate. The layout of the Splendor is pretty much the same as the Glory, except for the Lido deck. Getting off at non tender ports should not be an issue. Tendering at ports such as HMC or Grand Cayman can be a problem unless you are able to walk on or off the tender. Hope this helps, and the best of luck to you.

Seriously thanks for being such a nice guy. I am a nurse for over 25 years,hence the back injury, thanks for the info- I will miss Guys Burgers, the fries were also to die for- I am lucky and have family who can plow the way, I can definitely walk on and off I can go anywhere for 10 to 15 minutes but the the discs swell and I can not walk , get foot drop and back spasms , so I can get on and off , will wait in the wheelchair for a long line and I should be fine, the same thing I did on the Glory when people would run me over if I were in the w/c, thanks for the info and u write one hell of a review :):)

Thank you so much for this incredible review. It is probably the most detailed and informative review that I've ever seen. If there was a Pulitzer Prize for reviews, I would award it to you because it read like a great novel. I read through all 21 pages and believed I was on the cruise myself. I experienced all the excitement and actually felt the disappointment of returning home.

Your review particularly resonated with me as my upcoming cruise seems to parallel yours in many ways. For starters, we're practically neighbors as I live right near you in East Brunswick. In fact, both of my adult children (who are coming on the cruise with me) work in Somerset. We're not only on the same ship but also a wrap balcony on deck six, except ours is the one on the starboard side. And my cruise has the same exact itinerary as yours.

As detailed as your review was, amazingly I still have questions that perhaps you can answer. :)

1.) If you still have the Fun Times, does it mention what time the shows in the Main Showroom are? The reason I ask is because I plan on making online reservations at the Steakhouse and I want to make sure I coordinate the dinner time so I don't have to miss the show.

2.) I've never sailed with Carnival before so I'm not familiar with how people typically dress in the MDR. On formal night, do most men wear suits? Do people wear jeans on the other nights? On RCCL, I know some people wore jeans but most wore Dockers or something similar.

Thanks again for the great review. I didn't think it was possible but you've made me even more excited to go on my cruise then I was before.

Gary

Our cruise was officially beginning!! We took our embarkation photo…

A0021.jpg

I didn't recognize the username but I recognized your SMILE in the picture from reading your solo review earlier this year! :D

Edited by Sarah@Sea

Thank you so much for this incredible review. It is probably the most detailed and informative review that I've ever seen. If there was a Pulitzer Prize for reviews, I would award it to you because it read like a great novel. I read through all 21 pages and believed I was on the cruise myself. I experienced all the excitement and actually felt the disappointment of returning home.

Your review particularly resonated with me as my upcoming cruise seems to parallel yours in many ways. For starters, we're practically neighbors as I live right near you in East Brunswick. In fact, both of my adult children (who are coming on the cruise with me) work in Somerset. We're not only on the same ship but also a wrap balcony on deck six, except ours is the one on the starboard side. And my cruise has the same exact itinerary as yours.

As detailed as your review was, amazingly I still have questions that perhaps you can answer. :)

1.) If you still have the Fun Times, does it mention what time the shows in the Main Showroom are? The reason I ask is because I plan on making online reservations at the Steakhouse and I want to make sure I coordinate the dinner time so I don't have to miss the show.

2.) I've never sailed with Carnival before so I'm not familiar with how people typically dress in the MDR. On formal night, do most men wear suits? Do people wear jeans on the other nights? On RCCL, I know some people wore jeans but most wore Dockers or something similar.

Thanks again for the great review. I didn't think it was possible but you've made me even more excited to go on my cruise then I was before.

Gary

Hey Gary!! (also my BIL's name!). Small world. We're practically neighbors. If you don't mind me asking, where in Somerset do your children work? Thanks for reading and for your kind words. I'm glad that you found the review helpful.

You are going to LOVE your aft wrap! Pictures and videos don't do it justice. You'll see what I mean when you open up the door, and step out there the first time.

On formal nights, what you see on the guys will run the gamut from tuxes, to dark suits, to button down shirts and dockers. You will not be out of place whichever way you choose to dress. On casual nights dress as you did on RCCL, and you will be fine.

Now for the shows. Show times vary from day to day. I'll list them from our cruise, but they are subject to change.

Day 1 (Embarkation) "Welcome Aboard" 10:00pm (one show only)

Day 2 (Sea day / Elegant night) "Fiesta Latina" 8:30 & 10:30

Day 3 (Sea day) "Physical Comic & Juggler" 7:00 & 8:45

Day 4 (Grand Turk) "The Beat" 8:30 & 10:30

Day 5 (Half Moon Cay) Various Game Shows beginning at 8:00.

Day 6 (Nassau) "Motown Classics" 7:00 & 8:45

Day 7 (Sea day / Elegant night) "Vroom" 8:30 & 10:30

Day 8 (Sea day) "Carnival Legends" 10:00pm (one show only)

Comedy Shows (All sea days) El Morocco Lounge "Punchliners"

Family Shows 7:30 & 8:30

Adults Only (over 18) 9:45, 10:45, & 11:45

Hope this helps. We went to the Steakhouse on Grand Turk day. If you have any other questions, ask away!!

I didn't recognize the username but I recognized your SMILE in the picture from reading your solo review earlier this year! :D

Hey Sarah!! I see you are on the Freedom in12 days. Have a GREAT cruise, and let us know what you think of the newly improved Freedom!!

Edited by Jamman54

Hey Gary!! (also my BIL's name!). Small world. We're practically neighbors. If you don't mind me asking, where in Somerset do your children work? Thanks for reading and for your kind words. I'm glad that you found the review helpful.

You are going to LOVE your aft wrap! Pictures and videos don't do it justice. You'll see what I mean when you open up the door, and step out there the first time.

On formal nights, what you see on the guys will run the gamut from tuxes, to dark suits, to button down shirts and dockers. You will not be out of place whichever way you choose to dress. On casual nights dress as you did on RCCL, and you will be fine.

Now for the shows. Show times vary from day to day. I'll list them from our cruise, but they are subject to change.

Day 1 (Embarkation) "Welcome Aboard" 10:00pm (one show only)

Day 2 (Sea day / Elegant night) "Fiesta Latina" 8:30 & 10:30

Day 3 (Sea day) "Physical Comic & Juggler" 7:00 & 8:45

Day 4 (Grand Turk) "The Beat" 8:30 & 10:30

Day 5 (Half Moon Cay) Various Game Shows beginning at 8:00.

Day 6 (Nassau) "Motown Classics" 7:00 & 8:45

Day 7 (Sea day / Elegant night) "Vroom" 8:30 & 10:30

Day 8 (Sea day) "Carnival Legends" 10:00pm (one show only)

Comedy Shows (All sea days) El Morocco Lounge "Punchliners"

Family Shows 7:30 & 8:30

Adults Only (over 18) 9:45, 10:45, & 11:45

Hope this helps. We went to the Steakhouse on Grand Turk day. If you have any other questions, ask away!!

Hey Jeff,

My son works on Davidson Avenue and my daughter works on Worlds Fair Drive. They are about 25 minutes away with no traffic. In other words, not during rush hour. :)

Thank you so much for providing all of this information. This is so helpful and will be useful in helping me decide what day and time to book the Steakhouse. It definitely gives me a better idea of what to expect and will allow me to plan my cruise accordingly.

It's nice to know that the Splendor is well represented by our area. :)

Hey Jeff,

My son works on Davidson Avenue and my daughter works on Worlds Fair Drive. They are about 25 minutes away with no traffic. In other words, not during rush hour. :)

Thank you so much for providing all of this information. This is so helpful and will be useful in helping me decide what day and time to book the Steakhouse. It definitely gives me a better idea of what to expect and will allow me to plan my cruise accordingly.

It's nice to know that the Splendor is well represented by our area. :)

No problem Gary. We're very close to where your children work. We live near the intersection of Cedar Grove Lane & New Brunswick Road.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

jamman....

I constantly look at your reviews and pictures... I saw them before I first sailed Splendor on Feb. 13 and again when I went on March 17...I just booked again for May 28. Different itinerary this time and I've never been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay. Love the pics....

I just love the ship and the fact it's a car ride away from home to port...trying to get my fill before Splendor is gone from NYC.....

Never thought I'd fall in love with Carnival the way I did (lol)!!

Thanks for sharing.......

Pam

jamman....

I constantly look at your reviews and pictures... I saw them before I first sailed Splendor on Feb. 13 and again when I went on March 17...I just booked again for May 28. Different itinerary this time and I've never been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay. Love the pics....

I just love the ship and the fact it's a car ride away from home to port...trying to get my fill before Splendor is gone from NYC.....

Never thought I'd fall in love with Carnival the way I did (lol)!!

Thanks for sharing.......

Pam

Wow!! You really do love the Splendor!! :D The Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau itinerary is the best of the three itineraries. You will absolutely LOVE Grand Turk and HMC.

You are right about sailing from New York, since it is so close and convenient. We would sail on the Splendor again in a heartbeat, but Patti wanted to do something different this year, rightfully so, so we booked the Liberty out of Port Canaveral. Still 8 days with 4 sea days, but with stops in Aruba and Curacao, which we have never been to before. We also will be stopping in Grand Turk, and guess which ship will be there with us? The Splendor of course!!:)

"After you check in, they will hold your Sail & Sign card hostage until you pay your tab and check out. On the downside, drinks and food at Margaritaville are not cheap."

So whatever you order at Margaritaville you have to pay cash or it goes on your Sail & Sign card?

"After you check in, they will hold your Sail & Sign card hostage until you pay your tab and check out. On the downside, drinks and food at Margaritaville are not cheap."

So whatever you order at Margaritaville you have to pay cash or it goes on your Sail & Sign card?

You pay your bill at Margaritaville with cash or credit card. They hold on to your Sail & Sign card to ensure that you don't skip out on the bill.