Our Splendid Splendor cruise (with pics) 8/13/13

Jamman54

Awwww, Thank You!!! No cruise is perfect, and even on ours there were a few issues which I highlighted, but we've learned over the years to not sweat the small stuff. You have picked the best itinerary IMHO, the best cabin, and you will have a GREAT time!! May will be here before you know it!!

I'm already counting down the days! One more question for you - the Margaritaville cabanas. Can these be booked in advance? I looked at the shore excursions for Grand Turk on the Carnival site and the only one showing availability right now is an ATV tour so I'm wondering if more open up closer to the cruise. I didn't even know these were an option - again, thank you! I learned a lot from your review. I'd love to get a cabana if we can!

I'm already counting down the days! One more question for you - the Margaritaville cabanas. Can these be booked in advance? I looked at the shore excursions for Grand Turk on the Carnival site and the only one showing availability right now is an ATV tour so I'm wondering if more open up closer to the cruise. I didn't even know these were an option - again, thank you! I learned a lot from your review. I'd love to get a cabana if we can!

They can be as an excursion. Do you not see them on the excursion lsiting? The might be sold out.

Yes, the Margaritaville cabanas can be booked in advance. I'm thinking that not all of the Grand Turk excursions have been released to the Carnival website for your cruise yet. Keep checking the website every few days. The Grand Turk cabanas do not sell out as quickly as the HMC ones do, so I'm sure you will be able to snag one.

Edited to add: I looked back at my records, and I booked my Grand Turk cabana 6 months out, and my HMC cabana 11 months out, and as I remember, booked both as soon as I saw them available.

Edited by Jamman54

Yes, the Margaritaville cabanas can be booked in advance. I'm thinking that not all of the Grand Turk excursions have been released to the Carnival website for your cruise yet. Keep checking the website every few days. The Grand Turk cabanas do not sell out as quickly as the HMC ones do, so I'm sure you will be able to snag one.

Edited to add: I looked back at my records, and I booked my Grand Turk cabana 6 months out, and my HMC cabana 11 months out, and as I remember, booked both as soon as I saw them available.

Awesome! We have a HMC cabana booked and would love to book a Margaritaville cabana as well. Thanks so much! You've been a big help!

Thanksgiving menu was posted on facebook today. For those of you who don't have Facebook, I copied it below:

John Heald

For those of you sailing over Thanksgiving here is your dinner menu

freshly fried tempura shrimps

served with ponzu-miso dip

heirloom tomatoes, blue crab and ahi tuna

olive marmalade

pumpkin bisque

enhanced with turkey and walnut dumpling

double cheese and Yukon gold potato soup

garnished bacon bits and chives

chilled tomato soup with wild berry salad

thanksgiving salad

romaine lettuce with chestnuts, tomatoes, blue cheese and sweet ginger

served with shallot dressing

oysters Rockefeller

baked with spinach and cheese sauce

spinach fettuccine with chicken tetrazzini

sliced chicken breast and mushrooms in a cream sauce, baked with cheddar cheese

grilled black tiger jumbo shrimps

fava bean salad, garlic and herb butter

slowly roasted tom turkey with our thanksgiving stuffing

sweet potato gratin, giblet gravy, cranberry relish

clove and maple syrup marinated, baked Virginia ham

apple and cinnamon bread pudding

petite filet mignon and braised boneless short-rib

oven roasted potatoes, red burgundy wine sauce

zucchini fritters

stuffed with manchego cheese and eggplant

Dessert

spiced pumpkin and gingerbread pie

figs melt and wild berries

warm chocolate melting cake

served with vanilla ice cream

fresh tropical fruit plate

vanilla • chocolate • strawberry • butter pecan ice cream

sugar-free ice cream is available upon request

orange • pineapple • lime sherbet

port salut • brie • gouda • imported Swiss • Danish bleu cheese

I am so glad I cam across this review!!! I was looking at this sailing on 5/12/14... Due to the nature of my job I can only take vacation May-September and I can only be gone during the middle of the month. The price is right and airfare from Oregon isnt too shabby either right now (approx 477/pp/rt) with only 1 stop getting there. I like how there is 2 sea days in a row, then port, port port.. then 2 sea days to recoup! heheh... I was debating on biting the bullet and getting a aft wrap (if it is still available when I am able to book).. or have some extra money in my pocket and get a premium balcony... or just stick with our normal balcony... DECISIONS!! ARGH!! Me and the hubs have never been to New York so we would get there a day early so we can do some touristy stuff!!! It will be hard to choose.... what are the "MUST DO'S?"

I am so glad I cam across this review!!! I was looking at this sailing on 5/12/14... Due to the nature of my job I can only take vacation May-September and I can only be gone during the middle of the month. The price is right and airfare from Oregon isnt too shabby either right now (approx 477/pp/rt) with only 1 stop getting there. I like how there is 2 sea days in a row, then port, port port.. then 2 sea days to recoup! heheh... I was debating on biting the bullet and getting a aft wrap (if it is still available when I am able to book).. or have some extra money in my pocket and get a premium balcony... or just stick with our normal balcony... DECISIONS!! ARGH!! Me and the hubs have never been to New York so we would get there a day early so we can do some touristy stuff!!! It will be hard to choose.... what are the "MUST DO'S?"

Glad you enjoyed it and hope it was helpful. Just noticed that there is only one aft wrap left for your cruise, so if you want it you'll have to book soon.

As for "must do's in NYC, I don't know where to begin not knowing your likes and dislikes. There are many museums, zoos, (Bronx & Central Park), Broadway shows, Time Square, Empire State Building, Freedom Tower, WTC memorial, Statue of Liberty, Circle Line tours, Double Decker bus tours, Yankees, Mets, and on and on and on. I haven't even scratched the surface. And them there's the restaurants.....

We just booked this sailing! :) And got an aft wrap balcony! Hope to see you onboard!

Thank you for this fantastic review!! We leave on the Splendor three weeks from tomorrow, WOOT!

Early on in you review you stated you had emailed the maitre'd requesting a specific table in the Gold Pearl. We'd like to do the same, can you tell me the best way to get the miatre'd contact info? Any other suggestions on some must do preps, apart from excursions.

Much appreciated!

Thank you for this fantastic review!! We leave on the Splendor three weeks from tomorrow, WOOT!

Early on in you review you stated you had emailed the maitre'd requesting a specific table in the Gold Pearl. We'd like to do the same, can you tell me the best way to get the miatre'd contact info? Any other suggestions on some must do preps, apart from excursions.

Much appreciated!

Splendor maitre'd email slmaitred@carnival.com

How about steakhouse reservations? slsteakhouse@carnival.com

Thank you! We've talked about the steakhouse, is it worth it? It sounds really nice, but with so many dining options available already included, we were having a hard time justifying it.

I will jump in. The steakhouse is a great meal at a good price. Much better cuts of meat then you would get at the MDR and excellent service.

We just booked this sailing! :) And got an aft wrap balcony! Hope to see you onboard!

shut up!! awesome!!! which cabin? if i do end up booking this sailing (which is also dependant on MIL being ok with lil dude for 9-10 days by herself.. she offered to take him while we went)... i think i might splurge on the aft wrap and if its gone by that time, my next choice is a premium balcony.. if so maybe we can get a cabin close to yours, we can start roll call and get this vacation going!! (i swear i am not a creeper!!)... :D

shut up!! awesome!!! which cabin? if i do end up booking this sailing (which is also dependant on MIL being ok with lil dude for 9-10 days by herself.. she offered to take him while we went)... i think i might splurge on the aft wrap and if its gone by that time, my next choice is a premium balcony.. if so maybe we can get a cabin close to yours, we can start roll call and get this vacation going!! (i swear i am not a creeper!!)... :D

I forget the exact cabin number and I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I know we're on deck 7 lol. When I booked there was only one other aft wrap left on deck 8 I believe. There is a roll call set up but it's been REALLY quiet so far. My last roll call had over 100 people so I'm not used to the quiet lol. And I don't think you're a creeper!!

Edited by jenny105

Loved the review! Just booked cabin 7440. Hope it's awesome. Do you know what time the hot tubs are open till? It's our favorite way to end the day! And sometimes start it....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I believe they are open til midnight. I know the aft ones were for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

:D Hi again!

Just wanted to give you a big thanks for all you help and your great review, We LOVED our cabin and now we are spoiled forever!!! LOL

That balcony is to die for! My husband did the old foot over foot to measure it and it is 43 of his feet long. lol

We Loved every single sec. of it even when I was bundled up with 3 layers of clothes and my cozy bathrobe on top of that ... :0) worth every penny to us!

Now that we are home from our cruise, it is time to start to plan the next! :0)

:D Hi again!

Just wanted to give you a big thanks for all you help and your great review, We LOVED our cabin and now we are spoiled forever!!! LOL

That balcony is to die for! My husband did the old foot over foot to measure it and it is 43 of his feet long. lol

We Loved every single sec. of it even when I was bundled up with 3 layers of clothes and my cozy bathrobe on top of that ... :0) worth every penny to us!

Now that we are home from our cruise, it is time to start to plan the next! :0)

Glad you loved "our" cabin!!! :D

Now, how about some details!! :D

what is usually the easiest/cheapest airports that are close?

also where do people stay hotel wise close to the pier??

any info would be awesome sauce!

thanks cruisers!

Closest airport is Newark (Liberty), followed by LaGuardia, then JFK.

Can't help you with hotels since we drive in the day of because we live so close.

Good luck with your planning!!

Glad you loved "our" cabin!!! :D

Now, how about some details!! :D

We really didn't do too much,.. this trip was to be a full relax and spa cruise, we had some issues with the spa, :( I wrote a post on it. We just really enjoyed our balcony, I read a book and we enjoyed the brunch, afternoon tea and the MDR we had anytime dining that we loved. We also bought the FTTF that everyone has their panties in a bunch over, but it worked well for us. We have been to those ports many times before so we just did a bit of shopping and hit Junkaroo beach, and did not even get off the ship in FL

We both came home rested and are trying to figure out where we want to go and what ship next, but now I will need a large balcony no matter what ship we choose. :0)

Can't help you with hotels since we drive in the day of because we live so close.

Thank you Jamman!! I appreciate the response..

yea... i kind of have to get a hotel room.... coming all the way from the west coast... lol

We are in Pennsylvania and we plan to drive straight in for our march cruise. We are just parking at the port. Anyone know how early we can go there to park and if we are early, is there somewhere nearby that we can just sit and wait?

- Maria