Insurance

livingitup

So by use, do you mean made a claim or just bought coverage? I would like to know if anybody has made a claim with the specific providers.

We filed a claim three years ago (first time we ever took coverage) when our daughter in law died three days before we sailed. I can't recall the company but we had full refund within three weeks. Best part was our TA handled the entire process.

I used Squarmouth to select an insurance provider for our upcoming cruise because they a great policy on their site:

"We work on your behalf. If any one of our clients has a complaint against a travel insurance provider that cannot be resolved to our satisfaction, we will remove the provider from our site and no longer sell its products."

I also found the site easier to use than the other insurance provider site mentioned on this thread.

Good luck!

So by use, do you mean made a claim or just bought coverage? I would like to know if anybody has made a claim with the specific providers.

We filed a claim three years ago (first time we ever took coverage) when our daughter in law died three days before we sailed. I can't recall the company but we had full refund within three weeks. Best part was our TA handled the entire process.

The first time we purchased travel insurance was through insure my trip and the policy was written by Travel Guard. Turns out we needed it and they were extremely easy to work with and our claim was paid out quicker than expected.

Especially if you're "younger" the 3rd party insurance offered by the above-mentioned sources is generally much higher coverages and less expensive than the cruise-line offered policies. Insurers like CSA, TravelEx, TravelInsured are rated as high or higher than Berkely.

Cruiseline medical coverage is IMO very inadequate and cruiseline offered MedEvac coverage is IMO margninal (in the Caribbean).

If you're "Military qualified" checkout TravelInsured via USAA as slightly less expensive and some expanded coverages.

Claims experiences are tricky as resolution depends on whether coordination of benefits is required for secondary insurance, submittal of correct/complete claim info, resolution of pre-existing condition issues, etc.

ken

Depending on your insurance needs, you might also check the credit card you booked with to see if it offers at least minimal Trip Cancellation and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage (World MasterCard and others include this), and your health Insurance for Out-of-Country coverage (BCBS FEP andothers include this). ken

I've used it in the past - it is just a comparison site. I like Squaremouth's search interface better for comparison of policies. I get the same actual quote results on both sites. As I said, I personally like the interface on SM better.

We've made a claim for complete cancellation using TravelEx - it took a while Filed in Dec I think we got paid in late Jan? I'd have to ask DH to double check. They covered everything with the form from my doctor.

The problem with cruise line insurance is that it's a one-size-fits all policy, and you're paying for coverage you may not need. When you buy independently, you have choices of coverage and limits with different premium limits. Also, pay close attention to whether or not it's primary or secondary coverage.

Guest maddycat
We always use Trip Insurance Store and have always gotten great service and the coverage we needed.

So do we. Their website is very informative. If we have a question and call one of their agents, they are very knowledgeable and helpful. Lately we have been buying Travel Safe Insurance.

***Trip Insurance Store***

Guest maddycat
MedEvac is highly recommended and there is a discount with AARP membership.

We buy a yearly MedJetAssist policy. By using our AARP membership we receive an 18% discount. MedJetAssist is for medical transportation only. If you are 150 miles or more from home and are admitted to a hospital, they will transfer you to the hospital of your choice.

You can generally assume that anything you purchase from the cruise company will be more expensive and often inferior to what you can get elsewhere - including insurance. The cruise people assume correctly that many people do not bother to compare what they offer with the alternatives so they just buy from the cruise company.

You need to comparison shop on everything - insurance, excursions, pre- and post-cruise trips, transfers, etc.

DON

Archived