? re: Registering Disability w/Carnival

Li'lImp

Hi, all! I am a novice cruiser who happens to have a neuromuscular disease that affects my extremities. I currently use lower leg braces, but otherwise usually get around okay, except for stairs.

I sailed for the first time last year with RCI. I reserved a handicapped cabin, so of course I had to complete paperwork. During muster, I checked in at the life boat station and was immediately ordered to check in at the lounge with the other handicapped passengers, despite my assertion that I was fine to stand outside. Based on this experience, I figured this is how it's done in the cruise industry -- handicapped passengers are identified in case of extra assistance being needed during an emergency.

I'm now preparing to cruise on CCL. In an effort to simplify booking and get a cabin in my preferred area of the ship, I reserved a non-modified stateroom. My husband and I believe I can probably do okay there as long as I can get a shower chair.

So I called the Special Needs department to request a shower chair and to request the forms for notifying the appropriate personnel about my disability. The agent said yes to the chair and that it will not require paperwork. I again asked about notifying personnel, and she stated the only possible person to notify would be the ship's doctor in case I would require treatment.

Does this sound right? Do they really not track disabled passengers if they are not in a modified cabin?

Edited by Li'lImp

I have sailed with Carnival three times in the past without having a modified cabin. I did notify the Special Needs department prior to cruising. They noted my disability (mobility issues). I reported to my regular muster drill location but was on a list of disabled people. I was told to remain in the location while everyone went outside since I would not be able to take the stairs during a lifeboat evacuation.

For the cruise in December, I am in a modified cabin (one with a wider doorway and seat in shower) due to the fact that I'm now using a rollator for my mobility issues. I was told that I am "on the list" and will not need to do anything special when I arrive.

You should be fine. The Special Needs department is great. If you have any questions, you can also visit Guest Services and they'll be more than happy to help you.

We had to cancel our Feb. 2013 CCL cruise due to a family medical emergency, and I was planning to use a scooter to get around on the ship due to mobility issues from MS. I booked directly through the cruise line, but I didn't need an accessible room. Before we canceled, I gave the Personal Vacation Planner my info re: the scooter, etc., and she took care of the rest as far as notifying Special Needs for me. I think they like to know which folks have mobility issues in case of emergency, etc. even if you don't need a modified/accessible cabin. You'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise!!

Does this sound right? Do they really not track disabled passengers if they are not in a modified cabin?

We took our daughter, (Spina Bifida) a wheelchair user on a carnival cruise, at first we had booked a modified cabin, to be shared by our three teens, but decided she really didnt need it, and they didnt want to be at the front of the ship, so we changed to an inside regular cabin.

They did not reguire any paperwork from us do to the change.

HOWEVER! and this may ONLY be my case... once we boarded, the steward that was serving their cabin saw she was in a chair, and sat with her for a few mins and asked her what she could and could not do on her own. He made sure she was taken care of during the drill, and the one that shocked us the most (in a good way) the three teens were in their cabin each night, but her being the youngest, would often crash in our cabin, down the hall but in a different stewards care. Each night, if our daughter was not in her cabin, the steward would come down to our's knock on the door and check to see if she was staying with us for the night. After about the third time, we asked him why, and he said he wanted to know where she was in case there was an emergency and he had to get her to her lifeboat safety.

We were impressed, he was well tipped.

We just returned today from a 4 night cruise on Glory. I was originally booked in a modified stateroom because I travel with a wheelchair due to fatigue from chemotherapy. I am one of those obsessive types who checks for price drops and cabin availability on a regular basis. Due to the fact that I check often I found a regular yet larger cabin close to our sail date so I switched. The special needs rep I spoke with assured me that I could get a shower chair if needed.

When we got to our cabin I received a letter confirming that I was traveling with a wheelchair and a number to call if I needed any type of assistance. I attended muster drill without the chair which in hindsight was the wrong thing to do because standing still for so long is tiring as well as the temp was warm and too many bodies surrounding me made me uncomfortable. Lesson learned.

Bottom line, the cruise was great, I could get assistance if needed and I did well getting around and used the wheelchair only part-time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by seeshore

• 2 weeks later...

Back from CCL's Dream, and I'm sad to report someone dropped the ball. No one on board had been made aware of my disability despite my previous conversation with Special Needs. In fact, my shower chair was never even delivered.

I didn't pursue the chair as the non-modified bathroom would not have supported it. I managed okay. However, I did bring my safety concerns to the attention of the supervisor for my muster station. She made note of it and requested I also inform my room stewardess. My stewardess asked the appropriate questions and was very reassuring.

In the end everything worked, but only because I did the extra work -- twice.

Edited by Li'lImp

I am sorry they dropped the ball for you! When you said a shower seat wouldn't work in a non-modified shower, I have a question - we have a shower stool small enough to pack and easy to assemble for traveling for Alex, and when I talked to Special Needs they asked about if we needed one, and I said no, we have our own. What was it about the shower that made you think it wouldn't work? I know they are small, but as we discussed going on a cruise, we thought about showering and we both remembered the shower size adequate to use his stool. Is there something else we forgot?

The shower in our cabin was not only small, but also cut on an angle. I know the chair I have at home (not a travel chair) would not have fit. In fact, my husband and I usually shower together in our single shower stall at home, but the shower on the ship was too small for that, too.

I am sorry they dropped the ball for you! When you said a shower seat wouldn't work in a non-modified shower, I have a question - we have a shower stool small enough to pack and easy to assemble for traveling for Alex, and when I talked to Special Needs they asked about if we needed one, and I said no, we have our own. What was it about the shower that made you think it wouldn't work? I know they are small, but as we discussed going on a cruise, we thought about showering and we both remembered the shower size adequate to use his stool. Is there something else we forgot?

I was wondering the same thing too. Whatever cruiseline we have sailed, a shower stool is always requested as I have mobility issues and have always gotten one that fit in the shower with no problems.

My MIL always gets a modified cabin and the seats in hers flip down. The rooms and showers really vary by ship and location. Try for the forward part of the ship. They had an interior on the Miracle deck 6 that was huge. They could have drove the scooter in the shower. But others were no bigger than the standard rooms. I handle all the bookings and papers and have always had to fill out forms. But Carnival has always been so helpful. They have even sent someone down from the spa to come get her when we weren't available.

Sent from my LGL86C using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...
Back from CCL's Dream' date=' and I'm sad to report someone dropped the ball. No one on board had been made aware of my disability despite my previous conversation with Special Needs. In fact, my shower chair was never even delivered.

I didn't pursue the chair as the non-modified bathroom would not have supported it. I managed okay. However, I did bring my safety concerns to the attention of the supervisor for my muster station. She made note of it and requested I also inform my room stewardess. My stewardess asked the appropriate questions and was very reassuring.

In the end everything worked, but only because I did the extra work -- twice.[/quote']

My fiancé is a paraplegic, and I would suggest to you to always book a modified or fully wheelchair accessible cabin. They will email a form for you to fill out and at embarkation they will give you an envelope with notes specific to wheelchair/scooter/cane users. That way you are documented.

Question, we just booked a cruise last week. This will be our first with my Mom and her scooter. We booked an interior modified room that would sleep 4 since my kids are also going. Will they automatically send out this paperwork that needs to be filled out or do we have to request it. We booked directly through Carnival and were very specific about why we need the modified room due to my Mom's hip issues and not being able to walk far at all. I even asked how it would work with her scooter and the dining room because she can't walk much distance.

Question, we just booked a cruise last week. This will be our first with my Mom and her scooter. We booked an interior modified room that would sleep 4 since my kids are also going. Will they automatically send out this paperwork that needs to be filled out or do we have to request it. We booked directly through Carnival and were very specific about why we need the modified room due to my Mom's hip issues and not being able to walk far at all. I even asked how it would work with her scooter and the dining room because she can't walk much distance.

Here's the link for the form : http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

Edited by xxoocruiser

The shower in our cabin was not only small' date=' but also cut on an angle. I know the chair I have at home (not a travel chair) would not have fit. In fact, my husband and I usually shower together in our single shower stall at home, but the shower on the ship was too small for that, too.[/quote']

I have sailed on Carnival three times. The first time I sailed I asked the room steward for a shower chair and within 10 minutes he was back with it. The second time I cruised on Carnival, I again needed a shower chair, but this shower was real small and I thought no way do they have a chair to fit it, but to my surprise they did and that is when I found out that they have shower chairs to fit in all of the different sizes of showers on the ships.

I would recommend to anyone who is reserving the modified cabins for either just the size or because the shower is bigger to reconsider and think about people who really need those rooms. Carnival does not require you to prove you need a modified room and because of that, many are reserved by passengers who do not need them, which only prevents a truly handicapped person the enjoyment of sailing. I am not saying this about the person who started this thread, but to others to do not need the larger doors, or the extra room to be able to move an electric chair around in the cabin. These rooms should only be reserved for the handicapped.